Weekend Photo Fun 11-7/11-10

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Recently I finished retro-fitting my SDP40F A unit with the more modern Athearn hex drive and today I finished repowering the B unit which to date had been a dummy. A close comparison should reveal to you how this was done.

The A unit:

P1010252.jpg

And the B unit:

P1010251.jpg

Don't know what you did, Jeffrey, but the second unit seems to have different truck than the first unit. The lighting is too dark to tell for sure. You've also lost a set of middle and rear door steps on the second unit.

1-2) This week has been an exciting one. I got the first two parts of benchwork up on my new railroad... the Maytown & Scatter Creek Ry. It will be an N-Scale layout that takes up two corners of my 10x11' room.

3) I also visited a friend's 15" gauge railroad in Canby, OR. They were giving rides to the pumpkin patch on his farm. Here is the Great Pumpkin train. This photo was actually taken the previous week, but I thought I'd throw it in for giggles.

Cheers,

Brian

Great Start Everyone!

Here are some 'quicky' shots of My two AFT showcase cars that are nearing completion.

AFT # 40--Liberty Bell, Route map and Lunar Rover;

AFT_40_a.png

AFT # 41--1904 Oldsmobile, Gen. Washingtons' Fire Pumper(scratchbuilt),
B & O 'grasshopper' type Steam Loco(scratchbuilt);

AFT_41_a.png

The "Splendid Spirit";

JF_SS_2.png

Have a great weekend!!

Johnny

Don't know what you did, Jeffrey, but the second unit seems to have different truck than the first unit. The lighting is too dark to tell for sure. You've also lost a set of middle and rear door steps on the second unit.
The rear steps are still in place but the middle steps were interfering with the movement of the rear truck. The B unit shell is on a P2K E unit chassis.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My project this last week was to retrofit an Athearn SDP40F chassis from the standard blue box drive to hex drive. It now sports a new motor and flywheels, screwdown motor mounts, hex shafts, delrin worms and nickel silver wheels. It now runs as quite and smooth as any of my Proto 2000 and Atlas locos.

This is before the retrofit:
P1010255.jpg

And after the retrofit:
P1010256.jpg

The contact strip will be removed later when I install a DCC decoder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gramps, very nice twilight shot.

Brian, love that pumpkin. :) I'll bet the kids did too. Your benchwork looks good and solid. Are you going to add foam to the top? Also looks like a UHF portable in the charger on the desk - are you in emergency services?

Johnny, talk about museum quality. Those AFT cars look fabulous. Just doing the cars would have killed me let alone scratch building the contents.

Jeffrey, I knew something looked different about those trucks. You do have a missing middle step on that second unit - guys didn't just jump to the ground from that middle door. :)

Jeffrey, I knew something looked different about those trucks. You do have a missing middle step on that second unit - guys didn't just jump to the ground from that middle door. :)
OK. I didn't realize it was missing because the A unit is just the same way.

As always a great start to the weekend, this week I have been fitting lights in and around the heritage railway shed, well the dark nights are drawing in and the little people dont like going to bed to early !!

into the shed
steamlights1.jpg

towards the shed
steamlights21.jpg

steamlights22.jpg

away from the shed
steamlights23.jpg

steamlights24.jpg

John
RJR

Jeff: i'm confused by "B unit" Are you going to remove the cab on that locomotive? or is it going to be a "theoretical "B" unit where the cab is there, but the controls are removed and the cab blanked out?

Nice start to the weekend folks!

Johnny, I love your progress on the American Freedom Train. Truly Museum Quality.

I have finished up most of the work on my "Milk Train". The Reeder for handing the milk cans gave me some problems, but came out OK I guess.

MilkCar01w.png

Here is the entire train:

MilkTrainHopewell1w.png

well it's not good enough for the railpictures site, but here's a few I shot today:

DSC05041.jpg

A buddy of mine is a talented artist, and made me exact copies of the 2 Chesapeake and Allbemarle units that wear the C&A colors (the rest are in Rail-tex livery). My units spent the afternoon getting acquainted with their real-life counterparts. (with permission of course!)

DSC05011.jpg

DSC05042.jpg

DSC05007.jpg

Jeff: i'm confused by "B unit" Are you going to remove the cab on that locomotive? or is it going to be a "theoretical "B" unit where the cab is there, but the controls are removed and the cab blanked out?
B unit as in it's behind the A unit. When the units reverse so do the cab designations. A becomes B, etc.

I'll bet you had a ton of fun doing those photos of the real thing cradling your models...thanks for posting them.

-Crandell

Not much going on yet (hope to take a few extra days off during turkey day week) but I won a few items off Evil bay...this week...I got the following:

HO RTR 40' Double Door Box, UP/Challenger #9140 [ATH70883]
HO RTR 40' Double Door Box, UP/Challenger #9108 [ATH70884]
HO RTR 40' Double Door Box, UP/Two Tone Gray #9221 [ATH70886]

I hope to get the remainder in the series of the box cars. I did get the first 2 car set run from last year. All of these items can be viewed here... http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=40'+Box+RTR&CatID=THRF&RN=UP

then last and my favorite from one of my favorite UP authors Terry Metcalfe (who is no longer with us) a Metcalf Publications, Union Pacific Diesel Painting and Lettering Plan pack. This includes the painting and lettering details for for 16 different UP locomotives classes as listed below. It includes seperation lines between colors, lettering size and placement, scotchlite locations, anti-skid panels, and more. These drawings are 11 by 17 inches on glossy white paper. The locos included GP7, AS616, ALCo S-2, SD24B, GP30B, DD35B, U50C, H20-44, GP38-2, U50(D), SD40-2, DDA40X, U28C, U30C, GP40X, SW10.

I am still on the hunt on a few more publications done by Terry. I have his 4 volume modelers guide for UP, 1989 book publication of Union Pacific Freight Cars 1936-51 and his Box car prints too.

You guys have a good weekend!

Back