Weekend Photo Fun 11-7/11-10

Willis, looks like the empire is expanding nicely.

What?:eek:
Jim it better not be, I'm tearing it down :D but thanks anyway as there was a time like that when it was being built.
Actually it's the first work on the layout in a long time. It's a bit nostalgic, but enjoyable to be doing something in the train room again while contemplating about running my steamers again.
Have to say it seems to be much more work to dismantling than it was while building it. I don't have a track plan for the new one but it wont have the steep grades this one has.

Cheers Willis

Josh your weight scale must be way off as I weighed the Kato set I have and here is what I get. A unit 2.9oz B unit 3.3oz C unit 2.7oz As a comparison I weight the Atlas stand alone Gunderson car and it was 1.4oz in weight
That's what I thought, that's the exact weight I got the first time around, but its not giving me that anymore. Can't figure out what happened! :mad:

Opps, Willis, you're right, I remember that it's dismantling rather than expanding now. The work looks so neat that I thought you were adding trackage. My methods of dismantling usually involve a sledgehammer. :)

That's what I thought, that's the exact weight I got the first time around, but its not giving me that anymore. Can't figure out what happened! :mad:

Best thing to do is get some weights 1oz, 3oz, 5oz and keep them handy to check a scale for accuracy. That's what I do every now and then to make sure everything is working properly.

My methods of dismantling usually involve a sledgehammer.
Well as much as I might feel like doing it that way, I have to salvage everything that I can. Got all the track off the top piece tonight. Geez what a pain but the track is still good.

Cheers
Willis

Best thing to do is get some weights 1oz, 3oz, 5oz and keep them handy to check a scale for accuracy. That's what I do every now and then to make sure everything is working properly.
Eash! Didn't think of trying that.

...Just weighed a known 1.5 oz of tungsten and got 8.7oz! :mad: Time for a new scale.

P1010123.jpg

Brian, OK, that makes sense now. Most rail operations are on VHF so I thought the UHF radio was non-railroad related. What do you do on the Willamette Shore Trolley?

Willis, just thinking of taking up all that track piece by piece makes my back hurt. It really does look like your doing a very workmanlike job though.

Nice, Chris, is that an old Con-Cor U50? They were good running engines, as I remember, once you get all those wheels cleaned. :) I remember them well on the UP running in three unit sets running over Cajon pass in the late 60's. They were quite a sight and made quite a racket.

Nice, Chris, is that an old Con-Cor U50? They were good running engines, as I remember, once you get all those wheels cleaned. :) I remember them well on the UP running in three unit sets running over Cajon pass in the late 60's. They were quite a sight and made quite a racket.

Ya, that's Baby!:D:p Con Cor/Kato U50! Yes, once the wheels are clean it runs real smooth and pulls like elephant! It's the strongest loco I got's!:) I wish I seen the real ones run, that had been real cool!

You need to have a reason or a use to have one? I run what I like!!!!!

Josh, If they made one in HO there is NO reason why not to have one! Even in N scale the dang thing is massive!

This weekend I played in the MUD.

Our major freight yard is elevated above the adjacent main line by about an inch, and I'm in the process of building a retaining wall along its length. People are so picky--isn't white styrene good enough? Down at the foot of the wall, there'll be a strip of weedy ground, and I started installing it this weekend. My usual mud recipe is wood putty mixed up with a 50% diluted solution of water-based brown wood stain. Weeds will be planted later. I made little holes for grass tufts because the putty is pretty hard once it sets.

It was so much fun making a mess that I restarted another unfinished project, a stretch of hillside beside the track. It's hardshell made from the same recipe spread over screen wire, and where it was steepest I put in a section of wall from some demolished area on our old layout. Times are tough, let's not waste anything.

wallmud1jy0.jpg

slopehd8.jpg

Not much going on yet (hope to take a few extra days off during turkey day week) but I won a few items off Evil bay...this week...I got the following:

HO RTR 40' Double Door Box, UP/Challenger #9140 [ATH70883]
HO RTR 40' Double Door Box, UP/Challenger #9108 [ATH70884]
HO RTR 40' Double Door Box, UP/Two Tone Gray #9221 [ATH70886]

I hope to get the remainder in the series of the box cars. I did get the first 2 car set run from last year. All of these items can be viewed here... http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=40'+Box+RTR&CatID=THRF&RN=UP

then last and my favorite from one of my favorite UP authors Terry Metcalfe (who is no longer with us) a Metcalf Publications, Union Pacific Diesel Painting and Lettering Plan pack. This includes the painting and lettering details for for 16 different UP locomotives classes as listed below. It includes seperation lines between colors, lettering size and placement, scotchlite locations, anti-skid panels, and more. These drawings are 11 by 17 inches on glossy white paper. The locos included GP7, AS616, ALCo S-2, SD24B, GP30B, DD35B, U50C, H20-44, GP38-2, U50(D), SD40-2, DDA40X, U28C, U30C, GP40X, SW10.

I am still on the hunt on a few more publications done by Terry. I have his 4 volume modelers guide for UP, 1989 book publication of Union Pacific Freight Cars 1936-51 and his Box car prints too.

You guys have a good weekend!

My "stuff" I listed came in yesterday afternoon by Priority Snail Mail!
The Terry Metcalfe diagrams are really nice and are in mint condition I am going to scan them in to my computer for file reference and note taking.

The 3 box cars I got that are RTR Athearns are nice. Crisp lettering and very nice detail. All the proper lettering in place for this era were correct. I will be changing those couplers out though at a later date.

Looks like everyone is doing well...

On a side note: I would like to take this opportunity to extend my gratitude to all of you Ladies and Gents who have served and are serving in our armed service. I know that Veterans Day is this Tuesday and wish that everyone would recognized our people who gave so much for our freedoms here in the USA and abroad! My sincere thank yous!;):)

Here is a P2K SD60 weight that I milled down to accept a MRC rectangular speaker. I've yet to buy the Digitrax Soundbug to power it. Soon I hope.

Hi all: I just finished my tenth operating switch stand. The East end of the yard is almost done. Here's a few before and after shots.

P1010953.jpg

P1020694.jpg

Grampy I love that yard! Nice job on the Details West Stands. They are a bit of fun now aren't they...?

I spent today at a train show in Batavia, NY. The Lakeshores Division, NMRA had a Modeler's Corner at the show. Several of us just sat and worked on various projects for the day. Harold Russell (MMR #14) was there working on a hand laid Turnout in O scale:

Huhw.png

The Master's Hands at work:

MastersHandsw.png

Rich W. was doing some decal work on some cars:

Decaling2w.png

Former Division Superintendent Mike R. does some painting:

MikeRw.png

and yours truly assembles a bunch of Walther's Track Bumpers. Here I am posing for the camera.

TheApprenticew.png

I assembled these:

TrackBumpersw.png

Back