Weekend Photo fun 11/12/13 July

Every week I follow this thread, mostly in silence, but I have to say that it gets better every time I visit. Excellent work going on by everyone. Maybe some day soon I can get back to the scenic facet of the hobby.

Jeffrey: There is something about that park scene that catches my eye everytime you post it. It is a pleasant and warming scene, instead of the hard, dirty, and busy industrial subjects that we all do so much of. Perhaps, it is the typical everyday life it puts into your layout...don't know, but I like it ;) :) .

thanks for the tip on the tripod, I have been so frustrated trying to get good pictures, im sure a tripod will make a big difference.
Dave, your kitbash looks fine to me. Pretty good for a "poor man's" job

Phil, nice shots of the Cass. As much as I like that Shay, the F-7/BL-2 combination is really an eye-catcher. I think there are a lot more Shays still operating than BL-2's. Paints schemes on the WCTR units look mighty classy too.

N1, looks like a great start on your N scale layout. If I may make a suggestion, invest in a small tripod. You can get ones that will sit right on top of the layout. Get your focus spot set and then use the delay setting so the camera is motionless when it snaps the picture. That will eliminate the blurriness in some of your photos.

Jeffrey, looks like another warm evening in Louisiana.

Joe, I always liked those little WS scenes too. I've a tree house scene sitting in the box still waiting to get built.

Crandell, look out! While the N&W has been busy with that stubborn horse, the CP has invaded Pennsy territory. :) Once those Canadian guys get a foothold, it's all over for your railroad.

Grampy, great shots usual. The weathering job on the Pennsy is fantastic. You've done a really good job of blending in your foreground scenes to the background also.

Jim, this is the start of my prototypical modelling phase, and I felt that since the CPR invaded your country at some time, I might as well show a portentous background. ;)

Or, would you believe I forgot to move the SW8 and combine? (...token reflection on Don Adams and the new movie,Get Smart, which my youngest and my wife say is a pretty good laugh.

-Crandell

To show that I haven't been slack on other fronts, here a blast from the past, a Walthers Pullman kit, from back when the sides were stamped steel. I built it and painted it and a few others to go into my Crescent Limited. Its Named the John Tyler Morgan.

JTMorgan.png

Here's the Pullman William A. Sharkey,

WmSharkey.png

Here's a new diner and RPO;

Diner3159.png

CLRPO.png

And for the caboose fanatics out there. This is an Athearn BW, I found at the LHS that was undecorated! I also found a pic in the book, "Southern RR in Color", of a BW with a vertical Brake shaft. I took the pic, and what I remembered of a "cheap and dirty" conversion process, and converted the caboose into one of SRR's 3100 class cabooses. This gives me two of these now.

CabooseX3156.png

I have one that I had done years ago, and had even cut a new set of windows into it. I didn't do that with this one, as I had enough work cutting off the platforms and building new ones to match the prototype picture.

I can't believe how much stiff is already showing this week.

Over the past week I've worked on the large warehouse, a Walther's double track warren truss bridge, and I did some scenery on the club layout around the area of my bridge overpass I built.

I put on all the cornices and bricked up some windows.
000_0154.jpg

000_0155.jpg

Here's the warren truss bridge. A nice kit to build.
000_0157-1.jpg

000_0158-1.jpg

000_0163-1.jpg

Here's the scenery at the club. It's just the beginning base textures. A lot still to do. One of the main things is to sand down those bumps in the road. A quick VIDEO of the area.
100_3218.jpg

100_3225.jpg

Here's a really nice kit a guy at my club built and donated. His name is Dick Miller. He has some really nice skills. Next to this area he started some scenery. You can see that in these VIDEO 1 and VIDEO 2.
100_3229.jpg

100_3231.jpg

100_3234.jpg

That's it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
you been a busy peron this wek. Thats some really nice work, How was the brick added to those window frames? Is that something you could buy?

Well, this is certainly a WPF to archive. Fantastic. Top tier bottles are coming out this weekend. :D

The first image of the Akane H-8 is really fine, cjcrescent. I love the hooter and feedpipes...or is that a whistle? I also really like the rods and the profile of the drivers. Very nice, indeed. The Pullmans look very nice as well.

-Crandell

To show that I haven't been slack on other fronts, here a blast from the past, a Walthers Pullman kit, from back when the sides were stamped steel. I built it and painted it and a few others to go into my Crescent Limited. Its Named the John Tyler Morgan.

JTMorgan.png

Here's the Pullman William A. Sharkey,

WmSharkey.png

Here's a new diner and RPO;

Diner3159.png

CLRPO.png

And for the caboose fanatics out there. This is an Athearn BW, I found at the LHS that was undecorated! I also found a pic in the book, "Southern RR in Color", of a BW with a vertical Brake shaft. I took the pic, and what I remembered of a "cheap and dirty" conversion process, and converted the caboose into one of SRR's 3100 class cabooses. This gives me two of these now.

CabooseX3156.png

I have one that I had done years ago, and had even cut a new set of windows into it. I didn't do that with this one, as I had enough work cutting off the platforms and building new ones to match the prototype picture.

Aw man, you suck! LOL - I wish they had both of those in N scale... :mad:

I know Con-Cor makes some heavyweights, but I have questioned the quality before... and I'd have to convert couplers.

Nice stuff!

Kyle

Great photos all. This is my favorite thread of the week as well.

The construction equipment is starting to show up at the site by the tracks. The red Boley International sports a new flatbed I scratchbuilt this morning. You can't go wrong with an old Pete, especially with those shiny wheels. One of the workers showed up in a lowered Wiking VW bus with my favorite shade of yellow on it.
const.jpg

you been a busy peron this wek. Thats some really nice work, How was the brick added to those window frames? Is that something you could buy?

For some reason, I have been busy this week. I also started a Micro Engineering City Viaduct double track kit. But there isn't enough to photograph yet. Maybe I'll save that for next weeks pix.

The brick work was cut out of a full sheet of Plastruct #91605. I put the window open over the sheet and traced it, then cut it out. I glued a strip of regular white styrene across the back of the 4 windows, so the cutouts wouldn't fall through and also remain flush.

Tresspasser

Well the security gurads at Fred's were busy today. They first caught this tresspasser on security camera, then gave chase.

DSC04679.jpg

They contacted the hostler who quickly spotted a V&AL E-7 in the tresspassers path. The nimble tresspasser merely went OVER the larger locomotive...

DSC04680.jpg

DSC04681.jpg

He then climbed the roof of the truck repair shop:
DSC04682.jpg

Unfortunatly the tresspasser was too busy looking behind him that he never saw the oncomming TX&GC weekly run-through:
DSC04685.jpg

DSC04686.jpg

This is why they have "NO TRESSPASSING" signs up at busy rail yards...

We will never know why this spider had to run from the security guards. Another young life tragicaly cut short.

Well the security gurads at Fred's were busy today. They first caught this tresspasser on security camera, then gave chase.

DSC04679.jpg

They contacted the hostler who quickly spotted a V&AL E-7 in the tresspassers path. The nimble tresspasser merely went OVER the larger locomotive...

DSC04680.jpg

DSC04681.jpg

He then climbed the roof of the truck repair shop:
DSC04682.jpg

Unfortunatly the tresspasser was too busy looking behind him that he never saw the oncomming TX&GC weekly run-through:
DSC04685.jpg

DSC04686.jpg

This is why they have "NO TRESSPASSING" signs up at busy rail yards...

We will never know why this spider had to run from the security guards. Another young life tragicaly cut short.

What a tragic end. And she was so cute, too!

Kids, let that be a lesson...trains are nothing to play around with!

Safety First! I guess she never heard of Operation Lifesaver!

Great pics, BTW!

Rotor

Back