Week(end) photofun 8/9/10... February

Thanks guys for the comments on my steam shovel photo! I recently got a really good deal on a Tamron 11-18mm lens for my Canon 400D, and have been taking a lot of photos using mostly this lens. As some of you may know, in the past I've done a lot of photography with film cameras using a 28mm Vivitar lens that I modified with a pinhole aperture. It allowed me to get super close to the models for a very realistic look.

Well this lens does fit on my digital camera, but does not produce the same result. The sensors on Canon digitals are only 60% the size of a 35mm film frame, meaning you only get the center 60% of what a normal lens sees. That results in my 28mm lens being about a 56mm lens, a very mild telephoto instead of a wide angle. Wide angle lenses give better depth of focus, so the pinhole lens doesn't do much on the digital camera.

Now the new 11-18mm lens at its widest is equal to a 17mm lens on a film camera, its an extreme wide angle, which gives great depth of focus. While its closest focusing distance is 9 inches, by using its smallest aperture of f/22, the zone of focus will be closer than the 9 inches.

Here's how the steam shovel photos were taken, on a styrofoam diorama base sitting on a small table I made for photography. Since the lens takes in so much, I'm using the wall that I painted dark blue and added clouds.

Bucyrushowto.png

Lotsa fun!

I got my service station put in yesterday. This is an old chalk weathered structure. There's still more to be done on it.

IMAGE11.jpg

IMAGE1.jpg

IMAGE15.jpg

Here's a few night shots I took of it early this morning.

IMAGE14.jpg

IMAGE13.jpg

IMAGE12.jpg

Thanks guys for the comments on my steam shovel photo! I recently got a really good deal on a Tamron 11-18mm lens for my Canon 400D, and have been taking a lot of photos using mostly this lens. As some of you may know, in the past I've done a lot of photography with film cameras using a 28mm Vivitar lens that I modified with a pinhole aperture. It allowed me to get super close to the models for a very realistic look.

Well this lens does fit on my digital camera, but does not produce the same result. The sensors on Canon digitals are only 60% the size of a 35mm film frame, meaning you only get the center 60% of what a normal lens sees. That results in my 28mm lens being about a 56mm lens, a very mild telephoto instead of a wide angle. Wide angle lenses give better depth of focus, so the pinhole lens doesn't do much on the digital camera.

Now the new 11-18mm lens at its widest is equal to a 17mm lens on a film camera, its an extreme wide angle, which gives great depth of focus. While its closest focusing distance is 9 inches, by using its smallest aperture of f/22, the zone of focus will be closer than the 9 inches.

Here's how the steam shovel photos were taken, on a styrofoam diorama base sitting on a small table I made for photography. Since the lens takes in so much, I'm using the wall that I painted dark blue and added clouds.

Bucyrushowto.png

Lotsa fun!

how exactly does a pinhole thing work? I've never understood it when i do see it beeing used. Could you PM me on a quicky explination?

Here's some night shots for you.

235.jpg

Hello, is anyone there? I need some gas!

238.jpg

We've all heard about the cop hiding behind the billboard. Could this be the home of a cop who lives behind a billboard?

237.jpg

236.jpg

I stripped my old RS-3 and repainted it. It's awaiting some decals and a little weathering.
IMAG0006-2.jpg

Here's a couple of shots to give you an idea what my layout looks like at night.
P1010004-27.jpg

P1010003-33.jpg

Back