tooter goes big time...

Just more digging in and track levelling...

IMG_5712.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

I was wondering about the "Kadee magnet" between the tracks, then I figured it is a road crossing.
You're really going to town on this!
I took the snowblower down my r o w yesterday after a big dump of snow and made rotary snowplow sounds in my head.
Might be as close as I get to my dream for awhile!

Except Kadee uncouplers won't work on curved tracks...:p

My 90 year old Mom needed to be with us so I built a little house in the back yard for her to live in. The "grade crossing" is just a piece of scrap wood I cut to fit the curved rails and routed out the edges to clear the wheel flanges. It makes it easier for her to get across the tracks safely. ;)

More track work... :)

IMG_5721.jpg

IMG_5722.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

I estimate that it will take about a year to lay all of the track. The little cart rolls really nice and quiet on the embedded roadbed. :)

That's really looking good Greg!
I have some bags of turkey grit (granite chips) that I was hoping to use as ballast.
That would look good peppered over your track if you can find it.

I purposefully embedded the ties below grade and didn't use any gravel because it's light grey in contrast to our brown soil. If any gravel got scattered around, it would stick out like a sore thumb. I'm going for old time abandoned narrow gauge look where only the tops of rails show above grade...

J7V9_02WEB__TRAX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks... it's been no end of fun being a railroad worker. :)
Just put up an old fashioned railroad crossing sign today...

IMG_5726.jpg

IMG_5728.jpg

Yes, it has a high likelyhood of getting a paint job.:)
My wife and I got that kiddie shack for free. Someone threw it away, so we took it home.

Back