tooter goes big time...

Nothing much new except I trimmed the Railroad Crossing sign post down to a 3x3 to put in better scale with the sign.

Before...

IMG_5760.jpg

And after...
IMG_5769.jpg

No...I'm going the low maintenance route, because once you paint it then it will eventually need repainting. ;)

Just built my first piece of Decauville track... "_

27babe1e.jpg

Decauville was a French inventor who came up with a complete lightweight industrial narrow gauge sectional track system in the late 1800's. It will be installed in the handcar shed where it will lay nice and flat on the flooor with no bulky ties.

The crossing sign looks great, as does the car shed!
The tie pile behind it really gives it a RR feel.
All you need is to hang a name plate on the side now...

"Just built my first piece of Decauville track... "

Don't forget to take your Dremel tool and make an electrical gap in those phenolic ties.

"Just built my first piece of Decauville track... "

Don't forget to take your Dremel tool and make an electrical gap in those phenolic ties.

Gonna have to use overhead catenary power, because those rails are flux welded together. ;)

Should add some wood brake shoes between the aluminum blocks and the steel wheels, A kalamazoo standard gauge speeder I use has wood shoes and works very well.

Hey SP, :)

Wow... you ride a real speeder? :eek: That's really cool! :) Got any pics of it? I love maintenance of way stuff.

Even with just one pair of aluminium shoes on the front wheels the cart already stops like it has power brakes because they're machined to fit the curvature of the wheels.

IMG_5670.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed the Decauville track to the shed and cut the door so that it clears the rails...

5c81eedc.jpg

62dbba68.jpg

4544419c.jpg

Layed another 10 feet of track, and moved the hand car shed to where the track is flat so that when I take the cars out, they don't go zooming down the hill... ;)

IMG_5792.jpg

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_5794.jpg

IMG_5795.jpg

So far there's only 50 feet layed and still 190 feet to go.

Laid some more track and the weeds are filling in nicely on the other sections for that old time abandoned narrow gauge look I really like... :)

IMG_5881.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5883.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5885.jpg

IMG_5886.jpg

IMG_5887.jpg

IMG_5888.jpg

There was a huge change in the grade at the bottom of the hill (5% to 0%), so I put a 10 section between two 6x6's and jumped on it to put a bend in the middle of the rails. Now the joints are nice and straight with no stress on them.

Back