The wife's HO Atlas layout...

Lynn, thanks mate - Is that the flat section near the building coming down from the roadway? If so, and regardless of what section it is, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Take a step back and move onto something else for awhile and the answer will come to you :)

Advances and Improvements

Evening Guys,

In between being in and out of bed (damn flu) I managed to get a couple of things don to the layout. The first was improving the invisibility of the join between the fixed terrain and the lift out:

IMG_1266_zps72c5be00.jpg

IMG_1265_zps7d26ed1e.jpg

And, the second starting the right hand, and larger, lift out section:

IMG_1264_zps62d493f5.jpg

Absolutely Lynn - Gone are those hazy crazy days of wow - lets git it done!

Each day I decide on one major update or improvement and that is what I do and nothing more to the physical layout. Next day, I sit back and look at what I did the previous day. If happy with that, I move onto the next step, whatever that might be.

Believe it or not, I seem to be getting more done, better, now than trying to do the entire thing in one day so to speak. essentially, I have toned my thinking of having to get it finished ASAP and looking a lot more closely at what I have done, what I am currently doing and what is to be done.

In between that though, I am working on a million other things, track plans, buildings, electrics, engines Psychiatrist Appointments :) and so on. Oh, and by the way, I am only kidding about the electrics - that still SUCKS! :mad:

One more small advance - the blacktop covered wooden bridge:

IMG_1271_zpsb5d17c4c.jpg

IMG_1272_zps18714ef6.jpg

IMG_1273_zps404562ea.jpg

It didn't turn out exactly as I had planned so needs a little more work. Might have to take a drive u the road and get some pictures of a real wooden/blacktop covered bridge.

I think a small coat of that stone textured spraypaint may work, and don't forget the potholes" !

I Like it!

Sorce

Morning All and welcome to the SNOW!!!!!!!

Last night, in between inspecting the insides of my eye lids, I made up a Tunnel Portal, from some Linka Molds I have, for the road running up the mountain. I figured having it run into a wall wouldn't be good.

So here it is as it stands at the moment:

IMG_1275_zps3cd99fc1.jpg

IMG_1274_zps869e1847.jpg

Obviously a lot of work to be done on it, but it is a start and better than a wall.

Tony, I just came up with a great idea for your tunnel.
You do not need any lift outs.
In the wall behind the tunnel, cut a nice big access hole. Add a small light and walla problem solved.

You could even put a small door on the other side of the wall to hide the hole. :p

Is this a great idea or what?

Absolutely Lynn - Gone are those hazy crazy days of wow - lets git it done!

Each day I decide on one major update or improvement and that is what I do and nothing more to the physical layout. Next day, I sit back and look at what I did the previous day. If happy with that, I move onto the next step, whatever that might be.

Believe it or not, I seem to be getting more done, better, now than trying to do the entire thing in one day so to speak. essentially, I have toned my thinking of having to get it finished ASAP and looking a lot more closely at what I have done, what I am currently doing and what is to be done.

In between that though, I am working on a million other things, track plans, buildings, electrics, engines Psychiatrist Appointments :) and so on. Oh, and by the way, I am only kidding about the electrics - that still SUCKS! :mad:
As long as your keeping up with the Psychiatrist Appointments.:cool:

One more small advance - the blacktop covered wooden bridge:

IMG_1271_zpsb5d17c4c.jpg

IMG_1272_zps18714ef6.jpg

IMG_1273_zps404562ea.jpg

It didn't turn out exactly as I had planned so needs a little more work. Might have to take a drive u the road and get some pictures of a real wooden/blacktop covered bridge.

Instead of fretting over getting the blacktop right maybe you would like to make it into a wooden planked bridge?

Kinda lost me on the tunnel portal, I'm a bit confused why the opening is closed up. Did I miss something?

Dale,

That is a brilliant idea - seriously!!!

So when are you coming over to explain it to the wife? :)

Lynn,

The tunnel portal is only there for effect. There is nothing behind it as it is attached to the wall of the room, like buying a building fascia. It is just to give the appearance that the road (which runs off the layout) goes some where. :)

I'll post another picture that shows where on the layout it is.

Ahhh ok now I see, great idea.

Truth is, I haven't found a backdrop that I could use in terms of one fitting into the over all look, and I can't draw for poo, so this seemed the easiest option.

Now I have to try to get it to look 3 dimensional ... oh well, just another day in the office :)

The steps go in ....

Hey Guys,

Here is the reason I made my own steps:

IMG_1288_zps5b7be818.jpg

IMG_1290_zps8e384f89.jpg

IMG_1291_zps5bd6dbfc.jpg

IMG_1289_zpsc80b0c9d.jpg

Now all I have to do is plaster them in place so they appear to ab apart of the "wall" and not an addition.

This will be the same method I use for putting the steps in down the ring road of the town.

It all comes along nicely Tony! You could also consider finding a suitable photograph for the tunnel to give some perspective and if possible bring the portal an inch or two forward in order to have some depth before it hits the wall. A truck coming out of the tunner (cutaway or something) could also work.

There doesn't appear to be room to bring the tunnel portal an inch away from the wall to give it depth, but I do like the idea of using a photo at the tunnel entrance for effect. Personally, I would leave the tunnel opening painted and flatten an HO scale Coyote onto the painted opening (like in the Road Runner cartoons) but then, I like watching people spot little details like that on my layout that you really have to look close to see. Once you have trees and ground cover in the area, the tunnel opening won't be overly noticeable anyway since its at the back of the layout against the wall. The "half of a truck" attached to the tunnel opening to simulate a vehicle emerging from the tunnel is a good idea as well. A larger box truck would fill much of the opening and effectively hide much of the tunnel opening and give the illusion of depth at the same time. I would probably still want to put Wyle E Coyote on the front of the truck since he got hit by trucks coming out of painted on tunnels as often as he ran into the rock wall of a painted tunnel. I know the coyote thing is unrealistic but its so small at this scale that only a close observer would notice.

Back