The wife's HO Atlas layout...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Hi Guys,

Since working on the "other" layout, my wife decided that our layout needed "updating". Great idea thought I until I realized that my idea of an update and hers was completely different. My idea of an update is to add to the existing layout, replace older gear etc. Her idea requires a "complete rebuild", and I do mean a complete rebuild from the ground up! We have taken our 7 X 5 layout and turned it into an almost 12 X ..... well take a look:

TootsLine_zpsb7989c5f.jpg

The layout will run across the longest wall (a little short of 12') and pretty much follow the contour of the other things in the room which, by the way is only 12 X 10 and is used as our computer room.

I really must love model railways as I am going to have sacrifice all of my desk and flight gear to make this layout fit. Essentially, the layout will run across where my computer and desk currently sits, hence the narrowness of the centre portion. The plan is to mount my monitors on the wall (above the layout) and have a long sliding shelf attached to the underside of the benchtop. That will act as my "desk" (chuckle chuckle) That may not sound like much of a sacrifice until you realise that my desk is almost 6' long and (with flight gear) about 5' tall and 24" deep. Going from that to not much more than a 3' X 18" keyboard shelf really is a sacrifice :)

Anyway, as my wife prefers to just watch the trains going around the layout, I have kept it very simple. The only change I would like to make at some point is to connect the inner track back onto the outer line. So far, everything I have tried has failed in terms of being able to connect the track back into itself. Any ideas on that would be great, especially what sections of track I should use and where. In case anyone missed it, this is an Atlas Code 83 HO layout.

Finally, as this is the "home" layout, I will be posting progress photo's and hope (fingers crossed) that I can start the layout in the morning, well, at least ripping everything out that is currently there to make the space.

Cheers guys,

wombat457

This is the room the layout will be going into.

ComputerRoom_zps0bd6e92d.png

Excuse the clutter (mess) please, started sorting stuff out and that was as far as I got :) Everything you can see in the photo will be gone :( By tomorrow evening it "should" look very different.

Cheers,

wombat457

timlange,

Thanks, and I did consider that option. The only thing that turned me against it was the over all height that the layout would have to be, I just thought it would be too high.

As it stands right now, with the bench work in (photo's to follow) my computer system remains beneath the layout and I have used my desk as a base for the benchwork. This allows me to retain the keyboard and provides a very solid foundation for the layout to sit on (slide in and out) shelf. At the end of the day, that is all I really need to be honest.

Thanks for commenting, I was thinking that no one was interested in this small project.

Cheers,

wombat457

You are not alone here, lots of people look but do not comment. I think you are being super practical and I want to see the pictures of your progress.

Everything starts small. Even when God made the universe.

Have Fun !!!!!!!!!!! lasm

lodandsawman,

Thank you for the support and your comments. This project is in "my" home, so pictures will be taken at the end of each stage of the build and will be posted later today.

With the bench work completed, I am laying out the track to determine the "actual" area I have to landscape, and mark in the proposed positions of structures.

Albeit a small layout, I am not going to be in a hurry to fully complete it. My priority is to do the best job I can, the first time.

Cheers,

wombat457

Progress Update

Yesterday, with the help of the guy I am building the other layout for (Todd), I cleaned out what was referred to as the computer room. Last night, Todd and I, completed the benchwork for the layout, got it in place and leveled it. I should mention that I have limited use of my left arm courtesy of an MVA in 2012, hence the need for Todd's help.

Anyway, here is what is done so far:

The full layout

Img_9666_zps831ef8db.png

The left side:

Img_9667_zps72ec26c5.png

The rights side:

Img_9668_zpsbb7a2eee.png

The benchwork consists of 1" X 4" timber (framing), 11/32 nd ply for the base board, 1.5 sheets of 1" Extruded Foam Sheeting,a few lengths of 2" X 4" timber for the legs with more (obviously) to be added a million or so 1-5/8" screws and a quantity of wood glue.

You may note the the join between the left side and the center section of the layout does not match up correctly. Reason for that is because we had both sections attached, and in place, before we added the base board and EPS. When we tried getting the full structure out to trace for the base board and EPS, we ran into problems getting it around corners; as such, we had to "break" the two sections apart - you have to love Titebond 3 glue. When it came time to put it back together, the way it is is how it ended up which, to be honest, annoys the hell out of me.

My aim today is to layout the track and start looking at structure placement, a wiring plan and gradients.

As can be seen, the layout plan has changed, a little. The reason for this is because I ended up having more room to play with than first anticipated. As such, the entire plan has been increased in size by about 2", except the width which remains at 11'.

Anyway, this is it thus far. Although this doesn't need to be said, any comments and criticisms more than welcome!
Cheers,

wombat457

Look at post 2 and this last one. You have advanced lightyears in just a couple days!!!! Way To Go !!!!

lasm

It is a bit of an improvement ... and does appear as though I have achieved a lot in just a couple of days, it does help when I am retired and the weather is "crappy" though. I have plenty of time to do this.

Cheers,

wombat457

You might want to consider moving that front track back a few inches in order to fit a small straight on either side where it currently makes an "S" into the end loops. (right next to where it says 12" and 19.2").

FIRST.... Get the Computer stuff OFF THE LAYOUT! The Layout is NOT A WORKBENCH. You need more sidings, and stuff happening on the layout so you aren't bored to tears with it before the scenery is even in.

Don't tell me you live in Minnesota? Wait a minute, I guess the weather is bad in lots of places. It has barely gotten above 0 farenheit since the middle of December where I live.

lasm

Not Minnesota, Up State New York and we have pretty much been the same, weather wise, here as well. Can't wait for Spring already!!

You might want to consider moving that front track back a few inches in order to fit a small straight on either side where it currently makes an "S" into the end loops. (right next to where it says 12" and 19.2").

When I posted that photo I was still in the process of laying everything out - roughly. Now I have it more or less in place and the track is back, as you suggested.

At the moment, due to space, I am considering running a second line to the inside of the front track.

FIRST.... Get the Computer stuff OFF THE LAYOUT! The Layout is NOT A WORKBENCH. You need more sidings, and stuff happening on the layout so you aren't bored to tears with it before the scenery is even in.

Firstly, if you wish to make suggestions, don't use capitals - that really isn't appreciated.

As for the computer stuff ( a monitor) it is being used as weight for the EPS. Aside from that, it is a convenient place until I get the wall mounts for it, and my other monitors.

This layout is for my wife, as mentioned in one of my first posts along with her just liking to watch the trains go around. That is why it is a simple and basic layout, at present. With that being said, I am trying to convince her to add a siding or two.

Finally, I wanted to keep the layout basic and uncluttered to start with. This way I can look at the space I have available for any (possible) future additions.

Any way, thanks for the comments. Now I have the complete track, other than the line running to the proposed town as I am waiting on turnouts for that. I am probably going to be able to lengthen the left hand loop by 2.0" to 2.5" without causing any problems. I am also thinking about a passing track on the top length of track. At the moment, I just want to get the basics down first and then go from there.

Cheers guys,

wombat457

Update No 2

Well since getting the benchwork done with the EPS loose laid, I have gotten the track down, albeit roughly at the moment, and have test run the main line. I'm pleased (and surprised) to say that it works. Should also thank Ken for the help with the DCC and a small hic-up I had with it.

At this point I ought to tell you that I have been listening to the advice given here; as such, (sorry Suzie) a newer, bigger and better design was evolved with many thanks to Jim and Mileen for their help. Here is a SCARM picture of that layout, still with 15" radius curves to be changed to 18" in due course:

FinalTrackPlan_zps27c3c35c-1.jpg

Some things worked well, others are a little rough. I ended up buying Peco Turn Outs yesterday and have them in place as a temporary measure. While I like the turnouts, they do need to be modified to connect to the Atlas track by removing some of the sleepers so the rail joiners can be inserted. That is probably not a huge issue for most but when you've never done it before, well, I think I made a bit of a hash of it, even though they do work. The same can be said for the Flex Track, which I love but cutting and joining it is a real learning curve for me. The end results may not be pretty, but they do work.

So, as of this post, the main line is in as well as the secondary line. Th siding will go in when I change out the 15" radius for the 18". While all of the trains I have at the moment run nicely on what I have down, my new Broadway Paragon (Limited Edition) won't.

I'll get some photo's tomorrow and post them. When I do any advic on how to fix the joins in the track would be appreciated :)

Cheers,

Honestly, I don't know - I really don't have a preference as I don't know enough about them. I live on the East side (new York State) so I should stick with the Eastern style I guess.

Should add here that I bought the Digitrax Super Chief Xtra 5 amp starter system yesterday as well. Have it connected so I can run a train, but that is going to be a learning curve and a half - so many buttons on the DT402 controller to push and screw up! :)

Cheers,

Your a sweet heart - thank you!

I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for the BDL168, but will get it. I might be "bitching" (can I say that here?) about DCC and how complicated it all seems to be BUT, the benefits look too good to go back to DC. The more I delve into all of this, the more intrigue and interested I am becoming. The signalling system is a large part of that.

Cheers mate,

Update 3

Today was a frustrating but successful one. I changed out the 15" curves for 18" on the left side of the layout and started putting in the gradients. Have to get more 18" curves for the right side and am hoping to do that tomorrow, all going well.

The adding of 18" curves meant an increase in the benchwork size; although it wasn't as big of a change as I initially thought it would be. I only had to add about 6" to the right side and will have to add likewise to the front of the left side of the layout. I am assuming that I will have to do the same to the right side of the layout also.

I have done a test run of the "inside" track and all works well. The switches (being Peco) are a little jerky due to the track size difference between the Peco and Atlas track in terms of the rail joiners.

Anyway, here are a couple of shots of what has been done:

Img_0145_zpsa6d21f8f.jpg

Img_0144_zps81bd9257.jpg

I am getting there, slowly but surely and am wanting everything finalized and ready for the scenery within the week.

Suzie

Great job on the JMRI Panel, you'll be glad to know that there will be no more amendments to the track :)

Thanks for looking guys,

The final layout...

Hi Guys,

I have finally completed the layout and it works well, no problems at all.

The past couple of days have been spent redoing/re thinking some things. I found the Atlas Remote turnouts and have put them in to replace the Peco Turnouts. Simply making this change also resolved the power to track problem I was having as well as "sloppy joins". I am now confident that the sloppy joins were causing the power problem.

The gradients have been pinned in and are waiting to be glued in place. That will happen once I receive the Atlas Right Hand Remote Turn out from Ian (from here). That turnout will replace the Peco Wye switch making the track completely Atlas.

This evening, I am starting to place where my structures will go; although, the main township will be on the left side due to space. Other than that, and a river and lake on the right section, nothing is definite.

Any how, here is the end result:

Complete Layout:

Img_0147_zps89f945f6.jpg

Left Side:

Img_0148_zps8f9cd1eb.jpg

Right Side:

Img_0150_zps19e28aa5.jpg

General Shots:

Img_0152_zps52c40611.jpg

Img_0151_zps9ead373a.jpg

Thanks for looking guys and, as always, all comments are welcomed.

Cheers

Just a thought, In the last photo, where the engine is setting. drop a switch in there , bridge over the river to a small brewery next to the lake. A small industry to switch :)

Back