The wife's HO Atlas layout...

Just a thought, In the last photo, where the engine is setting. drop a switch in there , bridge over the river to a small brewery next to the lake. A small industry to switch :)

A brewery? I like it! :) Do you have any suggestions for the make of Brewery to buy?

Cheers,

The layout is getting better and better each next day! I really like it - can't wait to see it completed ;)

Mixy

Morning all,

Suzie:

Oh poo! I didn't even think about the panel for this extra line :( Seems like all I am doing is making more work for you.

I do like the option of "...the new turnout can be 'locally' thrown (from the throttle) with the signals at either end held at danger by Toots Tower while switching goes on..."

But to be completely honest, the larger this gets, the more confused I am becoming lol.

MIXY:

Thank you. It needs to be said though, that I wouldn't have gotten this far had it not been for you and Robert helping with the design or every one else here who has given me there input. Even though I have done the physical work, this really has been a Model Railroad Forums effort.

Now the interesting part of the layout begins, creating the land form. I hope it turns out as good as it is in my minds eye.

Cheers everyone,

Following and really enjoying. I too will be going down this path soon and your method seems to be very similar to my plans. If you dont mind, please give tips as you go. I to will be carving into the same type of foam, so even little pointers you've find as you go along doing that would be so great!!! Keep it up!!!

ledzepplinfan:

Following and really enjoying. I too will be going down this path soon and your method seems to be very similar to my plans. If you dont mind, please give tips as you go. I to will be carving into the same type of foam, so even little pointers you've find as you go along doing that would be so great!!! Keep it up!!!

Thank you and have fun doing your layout.

Thank you also for prompting me to be more detailed in what I am doing. Sadly, I fell into the trap of thinking everyone knew how to do all of this. Secondly, I am new to building a layout using this method as well, so I too am learning as I go. That being said, I would be happy to give pointers, tips and to pass on problems I ran into along the way.

Looking great! It is fun to see stuff happening all the time.

logandsawman,

I agree, watching the progress on a layout (or anything really) is fun and a great way to pick up ideas too.

As of this post, I have started working on the land form on the left side of the layout. Bear in mind, nothing is connected to the benchwork yet. very thing is still free standing until I get things in place. Once I know where everything is going to be, I will be numbering everything for it to be put back in place and glued, tacked in its permanent home. Frankly, that is one part of this project that I am not looking forward too.

As mentioned above, this is the first time I have used this method (EPS Foam) for creating a layout. My previous effort was using rolled up news paper and plaster cloth - a messy and frustrating method (IMO) compared to how I am doing it this time.

EPS Foam is easy to use, light, resilient and and easy to work with. It is also cheaper in the long run. I use EPS Foam from Lowes, 1" and 1/2" 8 X 4 sheets. A half inch sheet of 8 X 4 costing $12, and that goes a long way. The nice thing about using EPS is you get a good solid structure that can be over layed with Plaster of Paris for extra strength and obtaining greater detail. Again, a much cheaper product than Model Railroad specific products, and it is very light when dry.

I have used the EPS to make my own Risers as well, other than for the curves where I have used Woodlands Risers for ease of use.

The only thing I would advise is to ensure you have a good supply of Sharp blades for your knife for cutting the EPS, or buy a "good" hot foam cutter. Stay away from the Woodlands one though. I bought one and while it is okay for "small" cuts, it is not all that suitable for much else.

Hope this helps a little,

Cheers,

Another Update - Landscaping begun!

Firstly,

Suzie, you are a doll and I promise that there will be no more changes, no matter what anyone say's! :)

For the past couple of evenings, I have been working on laying down the basic land form on the left side of the lay out. While it only looks like a bunch of nondescript foam at the moment, it will (eventually) look like a hill/mountain.

General Over View 1:

Img_0160_zps07fbc56a.jpg

General Over View 2:

Img_0161_zpsab16200c.jpg

Close Up of the cutting leading into the proposed tunnels:

Img_0159_zps4802a18f.jpg

Entering the cutting:

Img_0157_zpsd7e3e1a2.jpg

Img_0158_zps9763d6fa.jpg

As you can see in the third picture, I have started carving the shape for the cutting in preparation for a layer of plaster. These shots depict about 1/3 of the layout, so there is a little more yet to do.

The hills behind the station will be cut back quite a lot, as this is where the main town will sit. I intend to have a "layered" township, so to speak with the main road immediately behind the station, then a small rise to another narrow street where a row of house or something will be. The hill will be cut out and a retaining wall will separate the hill fro the town. At least that is my plan at this stage.

Cheers guys,

Nice. How do you intend on modeling the stuff in the far corner? And was there a certain method or knife you found yourself using more during the foam cutting process?

Nice. How do you intend on modeling the stuff in the far corner? And was there a certain method or knife you found yourself using more during the foam cutting process?

Tunnel_zpsaa7d1b95.jpg

The area between the green lines is going to be a tunnel, so the top corner will be built up a few inches higher than the top of the tunnel then shaped downwards toward the town. I just haven't gotten around to actually doing that corner yet.

As for what to use to cut the foam ... really, any sharp modelling knife or exacto type knife will do, it does cut very easily. I also use an electric Hot Foam Cutter to get the fundamental shape of the landscape that gives me a guide for the thin layer of plaster that will go across the top of it all and will shape out where it meets the "flat" terrain. The hot foam cutter does save time and is a bit cleaner than trying to cut things with a knife.

The knife I have is a complete set (Speed Hex) from Hobby Lobby. It contains five different type of blades and 8 various screw bits, which come in handy for doing any wiring. From memory it was only around $30 for the set and you get 5 blades for each type of blade. All in all I thought it was a good deal and is the only knife I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Hex-Screwdriver-Precision-~SH20~/dp/B00CDXU06Q

I don't have a method as such. I make a rough measure of the size of the piece of foam I need then "hack away" and trim as needed. You could be more precise, but as I use the plaster to fill in gaps etc, I am not to concerned about absolute precision in cutting the foam. When using foam to form hills etc, I layer the foam on top of each other making each layer a little smaller as I go higher to make it easier to sculpt and so as not to have too much waste.

I also use 1" foam as a "base" for the landscaping and build onto that. That gives me option of going "down" as well as up and helps when it comes to rivers, lakes and ponds etc.

At the end of the day though, where I am concerned, it is a bit of trial and error. The one thing I will advise is NOT to glue anything in place until you have everything in place. It is inevitable that some things will change as you put your layout together and there is nothing worse than having to try to remove bits of foam that have been glued. That is something I am going to have to do with some of the risers I have in, cut them out and re position them so they sit centrally beneath the track. One of the joys of changing your layout halfway through :)

I should add here that I am no expert on doing any of this and what I have explained is how I do things and what works for me, at the moment. The more you do things, the more ways you find of doing things, from your own experience and from picking up tips from others.

I am guessing that what you are intending will be your first layout. My best advice (I think) is to look at a lot of layouts here and when you see something that you like, ask the person who did the layout how he/she did it. You will find some people are brilliant with track plans, others with building bench work, others when it comes to painting and detailing and so forth. I just want you to know that there are others who are better than I at doing layouts from the ground up and who might have better or different advice.

With that being said though, I am more than happy to help you in any way I can - that's all part of the fun of being in this hobby and we ALL had to start some where and ask someone for help at some point :)

Cheers and hope this helps,

The making of a mountain...

Evening guys,

The past couple of days have been slow going for various reasons; however, I finally got a little more of the mountain come tunnel done.

Today was spent, on and off, shaping the mountain for a thin layer of plaster. The first thin layer of plaster was begun this evening and thought I would post a couple of pictures to show the build up of that mountain. Still a lot more work to do on it, obviously, but I think the following pictures will give you the idea of what am doing.

Img_0162_zpsd9ef1bec.jpg

Img_0163_zps8fea7ef8.jpg

Img_0164_zpsd90fc2f8.jpg

My method for doing this is pretty simple. Form the basic shape with layers of foam, shape the foam into something more recognizable as a hill/mountain then complete the shaping with the plaster.

I use 45 minute curing plaster and lay it on the foam with a tea spoon. I then spread it out with the "back" of the tea spoon which not only spreads the plaster but also creates a very nice and natural looking terrain texture. That texture becomes more apparent when there is paint applied.

Okay, well, back to it and more to come. Thanks for looking and following this layout build.

Cheers,

Making progress...

Evening guys,

Have been slowly getting things done; however, my "real life" has been interfering a little these past few days. None the less, I have gotten half of the track down and in place with track bed laid and have started on putting in some scenery, just for appearance sake more than anything at this point.

The mountain ended up being more of an issue than first expected. Each time I thought I had finished it, it never looked right, so more and more happened. Even now, it is not completed as I would like.

Despite some "half finished things" here is where I am at:

Img_0171_zps5fc561af.jpg

Img_0173_zpsa8e89d01.jpg

Img_0172_zps670caa7a.jpg

I also realize (now) that I have the ballast on too thickly, and that will be thinned out a little, especially between the tracks. Despite the amount or build up of ballast, the engines still run nicely and it doesn't seem to interfere with anything. To me, it just looks to heavy.

Cheers,

Like the progress so far. If you'll consider my suggestions...I have a couple (maybe they are already part of your plans)...

First, have you thought about going ahead and painting the wall blue in this room. I say this because the paint on the walls (no offense) looks like it could use some freshening up and would go a LOOOOONNNNNNNG way toward tying the layout together.

Secondly, you seem to be heading in the right direction with the landscaping but I agree the ballast could look a little better. What are you using for ballast?

I think it'll be easier to judge what needs improving once more is done and certain things look obviously less realistic than the rest.

Really enjoying this thread, btw!!! Keep it up!!!

Like the progress so far. If you'll consider my suggestions...I have a couple (maybe they are already part of your plans)...

First, have you thought about going ahead and painting the wall blue in this room. I say this because the paint on the walls (no offense) looks like it could use some freshening up and would go a LOOOOONNNNNNNG way toward tying the layout together.

Definitely not painting the walls blue. I wouldn't worry about the scuff marks on them, they'll wash off when I get the layout completed :)

Secondly, you seem to be heading in the right direction with the landscaping but I agree the ballast could look a little better. What are you using for ballast?

Woodlands fine grey ballast. In hindsight, I should have gone with the black ballast - just a personal preference.

I think it'll be easier to judge what needs improving once more is done and certain things look obviously less realistic than the rest.

Really enjoying this thread, btw!!! Keep it up!!!

Thanks Ladzepplinfan1. The photo's don't really do the "work" justice in so far as the detail goes. The layout is in a fairly dark room requiring the use of a flash, even at the best of times. That being said, there is still a lot of refinement to be done to the areas I have started putting in the basic scenery. It will look different when it is pulled together and with the detail put in.

Cheers,

Definitely not painting the walls blue. I wouldn't worry about the scuff marks on them, they'll wash off when I get the layout completed :)

Woodlands fine grey ballast. In hindsight, I should have gone with the black ballast - just a personal preference.

Thanks Ladzepplinfan1. The photo's don't really do the "work" justice in so far as the detail goes. The layout is in a fairly dark room requiring the use of a flash, even at the best of times. That being said, there is still a lot of refinement to be done to the areas I have started putting in the basic scenery. It will look different when it is pulled together and with the detail put in.

Cheers,

I understand about the lighting causing issues with pictures...my last layout had the same issues and it really hurt the quality of my videos and pics. You have a fine start going though, definitely.

Lookin' forward to more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Slow Progress...

Morning Guys,

The past few days has been spent "re-defining" where structures will be placed and continuing with the Mountain area. I think I have finally gotten to the point where things are fairly reasonable.

Here are a few shots of what has been done to this point:

An over-all view of the progress:

Img_0174_zpsce9afc12.jpg

Shot showing Mountain, Commercial Area and Station with Platform area:

Img_0177_zpsfa4ef987.jpg

Mountain Detail prior to adding foliage:

Img_0175_zps68a6c113.jpg

Station and Platform:

Img_0176_zpsbdabe78c.jpg

Img_0179_zpseaf22362.jpg

That is where I am at thus far. Have 1/2 a dozen built ups coming for the commercial area. Once they arrive, I will be putting in the roads, foot paths and doing the wiring for the lighting.

Thanks for looking and all comments welcomed. Ignore the plaster dust every where, that will be gone soon and the track completely cleaned before use ;)

Cheers,

Thanks ledzepplinfan1.

Things are starting to move again and I have started on the right side of the layout. Hopefully that side wont give me as many drama's as the left side did!

Cheers,

We are getting there!

Time for an update and a few more pictures. Not going to bore anyone with long winded explanations so here are the shots:

Img_9686_zps0063167a.jpg

Img_9680_zps4a3b35f4.jpg

Img_9684_zpsde04a93a.jpg

Img_9682_zpsf49df9e7.jpg

More to follow ladies and gents

Part Two...

Img_9691_zps75672dce.jpg

Img_9679_zps1508862a.jpg

Img_9678_zps8967c65b.jpg

Img_9677_zpsbcd8d2c2.jpg

That is it to date, the town layout anyway. Have a couple more buildings for the town to arrive to complete it before putting in the roads and sidewalks. In the mean time, I am working on the "other end"

All of the built up structures are Woodlands Landmark, except the station and the light blue house which is IMEX. The other houses are transplants from my original layout.

Cheers all,

Back