The wife's HO Atlas layout...

He's in the winter mood
A heavy snowed roof with thick insulation in the attic

How can I be in anything BUT "winter mood" - I live/exist in freakin' NY for griefs sake!

That being said, I like your explanation, it just might work! But if guys wanna accept or prefer that explanation over the actual one, don't expect me to do it for ALL of my buildings :)

I'd go with the second story Tony, they won't believe the first one.

Yep, your most likely right mate - so the second option is it! I could post a picture of Cooper and its style of housing BUT, they'd just say it was photo shopped or something anyway :)

Looks great Tony!!!! I like the bridge section. Your layout is looking awesome.

Thanks
Scott

Scott,

Thanks appreciate it. It is getting there pretty quick now, at least quicker than before. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, no pun or play on words intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the "lift out" has dried enough, here are some shots of it in place:

IMG_1216_zpsd66674f7.jpg

IMG_1217_zps42b7c832.jpg

IMG_1218_zps678945c8.jpg

I think you'll agree that it isn't too bad a fit. What seams maybe apparent at the moment will certainly disappear once the ground cover etc is applied and I add a little more plaster along the front edge of pic #2 so as to hide the foam.

An insight of things to come...

Morning All,

Got a little bored with all of the plastering and building so threw a bit of paint and ground cover around to see how things were going to look. This is how the left house on the hill might look with the basics around it:

IMG_1230_zpsb46c1b69.jpg

IMG_1233_zps142a9a4d.jpg

IMG_1232_zpsf3543ae5.jpg

IMG_1231_zps75ee06e0.jpg

Seems to fit in okay .. what do you guys think?

Looks OK, the road is typical of a rural road and oddly enough, there is a narrow bridge very similar to that a few suburbs away from my place, crosses the track in just the same way, over a cutting. Also has an asphalt covered timber deck. If you can make or mark fine cracks, a bit uneven along each joint, will be perfect.

Just as note, for anyone who has not heard of Coober Pedy in south Australia, use Google images and search for Coober Pedy Underground. There's even a church.

Looks OK, the road is typical of a rural road and oddly enough, there is a narrow bridge very similar to that a few suburbs away from my place, crosses the track in just the same way, over a cutting. Also has an asphalt covered timber deck. If you can make or mark fine cracks, a bit uneven along each joint, will be perfect.

That doesn't surprise me in the least, well, other than how uncanny the similarities are!

Need to make one thing clear, while I appreciate the comments about the road - that, along with the ground cover, is far FAR from finished. In fact, it hasn't even really been done where the road is concerned. All that is is some light grey paint to highlight the road and nothing more. If you like it as is, or think it is okay, yu gonna luv it when its done! :)

Tony that worked out quite well the house and road look good.

Thanks John, but see above. All I was doing here was putting something in place to give the idea of what things will look in the end, and to see if it was going to look anything like what I picture it to look like.

As said, if you like it as it is now, wait till I actually do it, especially where the road is concerned :) With regards the road or my roads, they take about a month to do from start to finish. The forming and base coloring of the roads doesn't take that long; however, the weathering and ageing of them takes about 3 to 4 weeks of being (basically) abused by me and why I put the roads in early in the build of an area.

Essentially, once the basics are down I literally abuse them. I almost go out of my way to drop and spill stuff on them and then haphazardly wipe it off with something that is anything but clean. I don't care if I use a rag that has thinners or alcohol in it or a bit of IA or paint or anything - the dirtier the better. It takes the 3 - 4 weeks to get a decent build up of grime and stains and oily finger prints etc.

Once I have all but destroyed the once pristine finish, I give it a very light sand - very light, to remove any overly dark spots then go over the whole lot with a light wash of black or dark grey which is wiped off almost as soon as it is applied. It is to accentuate to the grime and grease that has been left, similar to what you would find on a normal road.

So, in short, my roads are weathered and aged not through washes or regular aging materials but through natural resources. As such, you can understand why I had to smile when you guys said what is depicted in the above pictures is okay :)

Lynn,

Thanks mate, am now a little eager to get the lower portion of the mountain completed - another reason I did the one house area - of course, that could have back fired on me too :)

Thanks Hawke and the 2nd picture is my favorite of the 4 as well. Suppose to depict what the place will look like from the town.

Nice idea of having mom and dad on rocking chairs on the front porch too. Wonder if you could get rocking chairs that actually do rock? Crap - here we go again ... thinking :(

I feel your pain! I'm in Iowa, and it has been between -20 and -45 (with wind chill) for the last 6 days. They've been cancelling school because it's too cold to learn. We were excited yesterday when it got up to 2 degrees. It's ridiculous when it's colder in the Midwest than it is in Alaska!

Yeah it is and it gets worse:

Tomorrow, 31 - Monday, 30 - Tuesday through Thursday is 37 in Anchorage

Here it is going to be:

33, 32, 14, 28, and Thursday 30.

I'm moving to Anchorage for the winter :)

Landscaping the lower mountain

Continued getting some of the landscaping done on the lower half of the left hand mountain. At he moment all that is in is the base ground cover. The rock faces need to be painted and highlighted, which will be done next.

IMG_1249_zps2870256e.jpg

IMG_1250_zpsbe6ed5b9.jpg

IMG_1252_zps1663cb49.jpg

Back