The wife's HO Atlas layout...

lasm,

If you mean the Tin Foil - that is not my idea but works great! At the end of the day though, I'll try anything if it works :)

Thanks for looking mate.

Think it is done

Morning All,

I think I have the left hand mountain completed in terms of the basics. It is now ready to have the "main" ground cover, trees, rock definitions and detail applied - I think:

LeftHandMountain_zpsc9d545e5.jpg

Lynn,

This is going to be a fairly "green" plush looking mountain, as will the other on the layout, so building up the layers to create such a mountain will be imperative.

Vane used woodlands for the "base layers, but will be using Scenic Express materials for the "real" foliage and ground cover :)

More Changes ....

Morning All,

This yesterday and this morning I made a few changes to the layout town region. Those changes include raising the height of the City Hall Building by about 1/4", added in the steps from the lower level to the City Hall Building and laid the foundation for the center house on the Hill.

IMG_1374_zps8f561aa6.jpg

IMG_1377_zps6fa3d332.jpg

IMG_1376_zps4a5db694.jpg

IMG_1379_zpsd35f22a5.jpg

IMG_1378_zps8d59fe52.jpg

I did a bit more work on the Mountain Ground Cover and around the Road Tunnel as well. I think that is now completed, at least for the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always a great idea to change elevations of the structures. I often will say yep looks good and end up going back and simply adding 1/4 inch to give the area added character and sometimes adding retaining walls as well.

Tree Planting has Begun!

Lynn first off thank you and yeah, little changes make (sometimes) for improvements. I never was all that happy with the elevation of the City Hall building so it was always in the plan to increase that height by increasing the height of the retaining wall. Now I am wondering if I should raise the height of the north side of the Main Street by 1/8th inch?

Anyway, I finally bit the bullet and decided to start planting trees. I started in the far left front corner as that is a small area and out of harms way when it comes to continuing the work on the Town itself.

Here is the beginning of the planting and hope the photo's give you some idea of how it will eventually look:

IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1382.JPG

One that I did notice, when I bought the tree's I only bought small and medium sized trees. It is obvious that I need some large ones as well to break up the consistency of height.

Sorry about the size of them, photobucket seems to have "kicked the bucket" temporarily :(

Looking good Tony
What kind of trees are you using?
I really like those houses on the hill, are they going to have driveways? (more work to keep you busy..lol)

Hawke,

Thanks. The tree's I am using were made for me by one of our members (Brad) the owner of Scale Tree's in Canada. The tree's themselves though are just Woodland Scenics Armatures and Flock I believe.

As for the houses on the hill. Nope - no driveways, instead, there will be a street side parking area servicing the houses.

Looking real good Tony. Now you have to get rid of the spray cans and their buddies on the right side of the layout and move on.

I have a bunch of Brad's trees just waiting to be planted. It's nice to see some of them on your layout; it gives me confidence that they will look good on mine!

- Jeff

Hawke,

Thanks. The tree's I am using were made for me by one of our members (Brad) the owner of Scale Tree's in Canada. The tree's themselves though are just Woodland Scenics Armatures and Flock I believe.

As for the houses on the hill. Nope - no driveways, instead, there will be a street side parking area servicing the houses.

Trees look great. Never heard of Scale Tree's here in Canada.

ScaleTrees is at http://scaletrees.wix.com

It was started a few years ago by Brad, a high school student. I was one of his first customers. He makes his trees using Woodland Scenics materials. Since that's how I was making my trees, and his prices were good, I ordered some trees from him. They were at least as good as the trees I was making from the same materials.

Brad entered college last fall, so it appears he has backed away somewhat from his tree business. There is info about this on his web site.

- Jeff

Back