The wife's HO Atlas layout...

The town looks good. The only thing I might change, would be to swap the positions of the higher detail structures in the back with the lower detail houses you have in the foreground.

Jim,

Thanks Jim.

The houses are only there for effect and to see what area I have available to me. Those particular houses will not stay there but be replaced with Woodlands Built Ups if I have any structures there at all.

Looking great Tony, I love the pedestrian bridge.

Now I am curious, what will the grey building be?

Louis,

I was wondering when someone would mention that :) As of this post, I have absolutely NO clue! It is a kit I bought about 12 months ago and have lost all the pieces to it, so it is up for grabs in terms of what it will finish up to be.

With that being said, I am very open to suggestions, perhaps a Model Railway Hobby Shop? :) But seriously, I really don't know - it can be anything at all.

Thank you for your bridge comment as well. That was fun to do and never expected it to be apart of my layout; however, the more I did on it the more I liked it.

If it's going to be a model train shop and there's bits of the kit missing, I suppose you could have windows boarded up, in a state of demolition? :(:(

If it's going to be a model train shop and there's bits of the kit missing, I suppose you could have windows boarded up, in a state of demolition? :(:(

That would be sad ...

On the other hand, I could make it a new building under construction with a 'Coming Soon' sign regardless of what type of shop it turns out to be ???

Oh and Toot'n, you got your Clothes Line :)

Evening/Morning Guys,

I finally bit the bullet and made a definite decision on the town design and layout. The layout will stay as in previous pictures; however, some of the buildings will be elevated. Here is how this is going to come together:

MainStreet_zpsecc00905.jpg

The structures on the left will be on two levels, as will those on right be. The two levels on the right will be a little lower (1/8") than the levels on the left thus creating a tiered effect. The main road will also be redone with a slight grade to follow the line of the tiered buildings on the left before leveling out at the right hand end of the town.

I will be putting in steps (built into the side of the walls) so as to get access to the buildings from the road and then steps from one level to the next.

While I can picture this in my mind, I hope it can be recreated on the layout to look the same as what I can imagine.

Afternoon All,

I have marked out the road system and now starting to put in the third tier along the main street and around the back of the buildings that will be on the main street:

roadconstruction_zps24b512c3.jpg

All pretty boring stuff huh :)

I like the look of the town setup. Have you given any thought to wooden beam retaining walls? The only issue I have ever ran into with raising a town with the elevations is the issue with making access to the buildings, walkways and stuff that a normal small town would have and have often found I really had to pull the buildings back to make room. Interesting watching your thoughts here.

Lynn,

Thank you Lynn and, yes, I did contemplate using wood for the retaining walls and gave both, the wood and what I have used, a great deal of thought before making the final decision. In fact, that thought process revolved around exactly what you referred to regarding access, and so forth, to the buildings.

What I concluded was it was going to be easier to build access points (steps) into the plaster mold retaining walls than it would be using wood. The other thing I considered, taking into account that I 'pour' my plaster fairly wet (a thickish cream consistency) was how much water absorption the wood would take and; there by, perhaps warping it a little too much. The third thing I took into account was that I have the mold for the 'cobble stone look' and a ton of plaster, so economically it was going to be the better choice to use the plaster mold.

Doing the steps, access points, for the levels will be minimal. There will only be 4 buildings on the ring road, so I will only need 1 central access point along with the access points at either end of those buildings. The closer end (in the photos) will be at ground level, so there will only need to be 2 sets of steps leading up from the road to the footpaths and buildings, one centrally located and one at the farthest end. The same will apply for the main street buildings, which are only elevated on one side.

My intention, once the retaining wall has dried for a couple of days, is to 'carver out' the access points for the steps, which will also be plaster to replicate stone, concrete or what ever I end up with.

While this is going to be a lot of work, some of which is going to be a little fiddly, I think it is going to give the town a more interesting look than having it on a flat, level patch of ground. I also like to make things hard for myself :)

Once I have all of the retaining wall in place, I am also thinking about giving the ring road a grade, even if only raising it to a highest point of maybe an 1/8 or so of an inch. My thinking is to reduce the 'impact' of the retaining wall a little, especially toward the top end of the photo. That is still on the drawing board though with no absolute decision having been made as yet.

Tony this layout grades have been my biggest obstacle because just when you think you have it figured out there's even more to tend to from the original intention with the grades. :D

Tony this layout grades have been my biggest obstacle because just when you think you have it figured out there's even more to tend to from the original intention with the grades. :D

Every little thing that is done, seems to create other things that need to be done - one of the joys of model railroading :) I have to work out how much of a grade I am going to have and how it is going to effect the 'other end' of the road and joining road to the Station. Luckily for me, I do have a bit of lee way to work with, about a 1/4" over all.

Layout look great, you're really moving along fast. Nice touch with the hanging American flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve, ad it is starting to move a little quicker. I am trying to get it done by christmas eve if possible. The flag came with the building too, it is a Woodlands Built Up as are 90% of my structures as I am lousy at painting and detailing them.

Afternoon All,

For the past day or so I have been working on the town area, putting in the retaining walls and forming the roads. I now have the 'pads' laid for the buildings and just need to finish off some areas where the plaster didn't quite make it. Pictures to follow.

The next step (I think) will be doing the roads themselves. I am considering using Stone Dental Plaster (colored) to pour the road surfaces, so long as I can get them 'thin enough' so as not to effect the curb height too much, yet have it thick enough to keep control of it and be able to form the grade. I may have to pour it in layers to achieve that.

Road System and Town area:

RoadandTownarea_zpse3a4c036.jpg

As you look at the picture, my intention is to start the grade from just this side of the left hand intersection running upwards to the top right hand corner then back down again to the bottom right hand corner (not in the picture sorry)

The 'main street' (running left to right) will also have a slight grade from left to right to match up with the height of the ring road at the right hand end.

At this stage, the gradient will only be an increase of 1/8th of an inch for the main street and some where nearer to 1/4" for the ring road culminating some where around top centre of the picture.

Hope this all makes sense and thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening All,

More work on the Town Area and Roads:

MainStreet_zpsa6c1bdca.jpg

MainStreet2_zpsf9a19d55.jpg

MainStreetArialVeiw_zpsa672519b.jpg

The buildings are only sitting there and not necessarily their final resting place. The roads have had some of their paving put down using colored Dental Stone Plaster.

Just have to sand a little off of the tops of the base for the buildings and then (obviously) paint it all.

So, what do you guys think ?

Hey Lynn,

Most of the thinking (mental design and planning) is done. All I have to do is put it in place and that is happening. Unlike doing an area for scenery, I am only going to get one shot at the town so I can't make mistakes with it.

I guess the one thing that I have kept to myself, so far, is a small extension to the layout so I will have a larger area to work with on my side of it and running off to the right of where the town is. An area for another road or small industrial area, so I have had to keep that in mind when working on the town and road system, but also have to make the road system work in the event the extension doesn't happen.

If that extension does happen, it wont be until after I get what I have got already done, so it is a case of planning ahead.

You are definitely moving along, nice.
My town is only in stage 3 of my planned layout, so in a few years..lol

But I might change a few things and make one in my first stage. It really puts life in the layout and besides, my wife as been asking me "where's the winter town?", "you need a Christmas town". So it's not just a case of planning ahead, but also adjusting to changes. I'm already learning about making changes.

Later

Back