The wife's HO Atlas layout...

A gravel (ie not paved) road would look nice! Now depending on what one has in mind, a water-edge is also an option (ie river bank or coastline).

Grade crossing would be interesting and as suggested as well a stack of rails and or ties. More fencing.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Now I understand what a "grade crossing is" (level crossing is what I am used to) I now have some serious thinking to do. This reminds me of what Jim Cuda said, sometime back, about having a road leaving the town so it gave the appearance of an on ongoing thing. while a grade crossing may not be possible, due to a 1" straight drop down to the track, there are other possibilities based on that idea.

The amount of room I have at the front is almost insignificant at the moment and doesn't leave itself to a great deal. I think you guys would agree with that. My option then, to create interest, is to "expand" the area at the front of the layout another 4" or 5", thereby giving me a little more flexibility, perhaps some room for some "small industry or warehousing" or even a siding perhaps.

If I were to do that, I could run a bridge across the track coming out of the town area and lower the height of the "current road to run below that bridge, or visa versa, I think. That would make the current road more believable and give a second road that Jim was talking about.

This is all in my head at the moment and I won't really know the viability of it until I can get to the area designated for the town. what do you guys think about that, if it is possible to do?

Tony I don't have any suggestions, but the ones I have read sound good and I know what ever you do it will look good.

Thanks for sharing all this Tony, I am learning!

Louis,

Always great to have your input, no matter what it may be. Only thing with what I am considering is convincing the "better half that it will be worth it :)

I'm in no hurry to get a solution, and probably should finish what is already there first anyway. I know what'll happen, I'll get a thought at 3:00 am and just have to get it done before I forget!

Evening Guys,

This afternoon I got around and cleaned of the layout so I could run the CMX Track Cleaning Car and put up a few photo's of where I am at with it:

IMG_1000_zps4a546265.jpg

IMG_0999_zpsfb2626a4.jpg

This is the area I have to work with for the town:

IMG_0998_zps28bfd86a.jpg

That area is approximately 30" X 24", so there isn't much room for creativity with designing the town layout. What I am thinking is, instead of going horizontal I am going to try to create some interest by going vertically and having a few different levels. One level will be for the road/s, the next or other two will be for the buildings and footpaths (sidewalks). Not sure if that is going to work, but we will see.

That poor keyboard.
The layout is looking good.

Thanks Dale, it's the first time I have actually seen it for awhile.

Ahh yeah, the keyboard - well, all I can say is this "it is testimony to the quality of Logitech Keyboards. The one in the picture is my 'work keyboard' I do have another one in case this one poo's the bed. That poor keyboard has had the following spilt on and in it:

Coke
Coffee
Run and coke
Beer
Cigarette ash
Saw dust
Plaster dust
bits of shaved wood
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Rice

It doubles as a workbench when gluing stuff together so I am sure there is some glue, matte medium and probably some ground cover in there some where as well. I was going to clean it out at one point but thought I might stuff it up, so I leave it.

and god knows what else. All I do is mop it off, drop some alcohol into the keys when ever they stick then "pound them" and all is good, it just keeps on keeping on :)

Here is how I think I am going to have town set up:

StreetScene_zps0df5d1e9.jpg

StreetScene2_zpsce124400.jpg

I need to get a few more buildings, which are on order (Woodlands Built Ups) to go opposite the Bank and General store. I might build up the left side a little more or stagger it a little toward the back so the back 3 structures are on a higher level than the City Hall building in the fore ground.

The 3 building to the front right are only there for effect, although the houses 'might stay', not sure yet.

Thoughts, opinions, improvements?

I like what I see
Can't wait to be able to see something else than tracks on my layout
It's a great thing to see others pictures.

Thanks

Hawke,

Thank you and yeah it is good to see others work. From my perspective, it can give you ideas that you may not have thought of and/or can show you things that you may not have known about. I tend to learn from the pictures that others post and hopefully, some can learn from what I post, more often than not though that learning will be what not to do :)

I think seeing other peoples progress also inspires us to keep working on our own layouts, and that is a good thing. Your doing exceptionally well though, take your time and continue your methodical approach - it will serve you well in the end.

John,

Thank you. I am leaving it this way, design wise. I have to do a little more plastering and forming/edging the roads but now I have the basic plan in place that will be easy and fairly quickly done.

I like the town layout as well. The ped, bridge looks awesome and fits right in. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resqnu,

Thank you, I am now looking forward to finishing this side of the layout just to see how it turns out. I am now going for a 'rustic' look :)

Back