The wife's HO Atlas layout...

I haven't been doing too much to the layout recently as I have been working on some structures for it. Here is one that is pretty much finished other than decals, lighting signs and some details that I think need to be added:

DPMFront_zps30e7642a.jpg

DPMLeftside_zpsb706fcae.jpg

DPMRightside_zps04b9bc2f.jpg

DPMBack_zps183262a9.jpg

I also bought a bunch of Veismann Street Lights that I have to say are brilliant and well worth the money:

HOStreetLights_zpsc906f963.jpg

These will be fitted and wired once I have all of the detail work done on the layout. All that remains for that detail is some weathering and defining of the sidewalks pretty much.

Thanks for following along with this.

Tony that building looks like it would be right at home here in southeast Baltimore and I love those lights!

Great work, keep it up and thanks for sharing it with us.

Louis,

Thanks mate. The lights are excellent, unfortunately my picture doesn't do them any justice what so ever. The detail and construction of them (brass) is extraordinary.

While they may seem a little on the costly side, around $12 per light, they do come complete with mounting bracket, LED and Resistor already in place. Basically, they are a take out of the box and connect to your power source arrangement and I LOVE that :)

This is the style/type of building in my area as well, and why I like them so much. However, the style of them does seem to be fairly common for most areas, making that style of architecture for a layout very versatile, especially for older areas within cities and rural towns.

Thanks again for looking Louis, always appreciate and value your thoughts.

I think that is a very good price Tony! Considering they are "plug and play" it's a great price!

I think that is a very good price Tony! Considering they are "plug and play" it's a great price!

Plug and Play is a good way to describe them. Or where I am concerned - Idiot Proof :)

Looks good Tony although I think you need some mortar between the bricks.

Lynn,

Thanks mate, and there actually is mortar between the bricks, although the picture didn't show it up too good. Looks like I am going to have to go over it all with another coat or two of the wash I used to get it to standout a bit more, at least from a photographic stand point.

Tony when you give it the wash are you laying the building on its side so the mortar dries into the mortar lines then once dry wiping the mortar that's on the brick faces away with a rub of your thumb?

Yes and no. I put the wash on with the building standing in its normal vertical position. Once it is on, I lay it down so the wash seeps back between the bricks. I then use an old 100% cotton reenacting shirt to "blot" the excess off then leave it dry. When it dries though, I find I have a wash over all of the wall, not just in between the bricks. As such, I wet it all down and then blot, wipe with the shirt again and keep doing that until I have gotten the wash off of the bricks themselves.

From your questions, that is all wrong. I will re do it all again it the way you have described through your questions, perhaps the wash is 'strong enough then', and it is just h way I am doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony its been a while since I used liquid for the mortar but last time I used chalk powders scrapping chalk into piles on the wall then in circular motion with soft brush spread the chalk into the grooves and when done rubbed off the chalk from brick surface.

Building looks very nice. I like the weathering and lamps look great. I'm trying to work on my weathering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony its been a while since I used liquid for the mortar but last time I used chalk powders scrapping chalk into piles on the wall then in circular motion with soft brush spread the chalk into the grooves and when done rubbed off the chalk from brick surface.

I have a bunch of Crayola chalk (the really big stuff) so I will give that a try. One thing I did find with using that, in conjunction with Dulcote, is the Dulcote seems to wash it all away. Any way of getting around that, or more to the point, how do you keep your chalk in place?

Building looks very nice. I like the weathering and lamps look great. I'm trying to work on my weathering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Resqnu, they are getting there like everything else - slowly :) From what I have seen of your work, you shouldn't have a problem doing your weathering either. Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Okay, so now I am confused (again or still depending). Most things I have read say you need to seal the chalk/weathering powder. I assumed that was to hold it in place. I take it that isn't the case then, something your scenery definitely does seem to prove.

Once my chalk is in place on the building I tend not to move the building around especially if its in a place that it can't get rubbed off it shouldn't move.

Thanks Lynn, all of my buildings are toward the front and center of the layout, so might have to find away of getting the chalk to stick and stay.

Could be the chalks your using if there not sticking, I use not cheap cheap earth toned color chalks but not expensive, I also use rembrant chalks as I like them for putting down and hitting them with straight alcohol, I also use bragdons as they definatly stick and don't take much.

Lynn,

Thanks mate and I have heard about and looked at the Bragdon Weathering powders. I think they may be the way for me to go at some point, either that or perfect the use of acrylics for washes.

another option is that if you have the chalk sticks, and one in the brick color you like, is to do it backwards. first paint your building in the color of the mortar you want, then lightly color the walls with the chalk. leave the chalk stick intact and just rub it against the wall. then dullcote the building.

wright,

That would be easier and would ensure that the walls have a mortar finish. Problem I had using the chalk in combination with dullcote was the dullcote seemed to wash the chalk away. I wasn't able to to successfully do both.

Back