The Feds are after us....

Lady_Railfan

House Mother, Cheerleader
After 33 years of having the mailman deliver our mail to the box by our front door, we now have to install a mailbox at the curb. Almost everyone else on the block moved here after we did and had to install a curbside box when they moved in. But the USPS finally nailed us. :rolleyes:

So I'm looking for a mailbox with a RR theme. (I found one that was quite delightful, but at almost $300.......) Ummm. I think not.

Here's one that's not quite so pricey, but I'm still thinking of building one instead. (Even though I'd rather spend the $$$ on G-scale stuff!)

http://www.cedarstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=530

Any ideas?

Ha!

I'd say just use some wood pieces available at Home Depot, and build a basic steam engine shape around a cheap metal mailbox.

No self-respecting scratch-builder such as yourself would ever buy something so....uh.....expensive.

Besides everyone knows the Red Cedar Railroad never had any 4-4-0s. They did have a 2-4-0, so I guess with a little bashing... But mostly they were 2-6-0's, 2-8-0's and a couple of ten wheelers.

Yes Claudia, the days of visiting with your mail carrier are sadly, long gone (of course, so is their Christmas gift;) ). I like the idea of an "Engine" style mailbox instead of the blah and ugly sheet metal quonset hut.:)

No self-respecting scratch-builder such as yourself would ever buy something so....uh.....expensive.

Besides everyone knows the Red Cedar Railroad never had any 4-4-0s. They did have a 2-4-0, so I guess with a little bashing... But mostly they were 2-6-0's, 2-8-0's and a couple of ten wheelers.

Hey!! Maybe put two boxes together and make a 4-8-8-4 Big Boy!! Great for those long packages!! :cool:

Here's one my boys gave me. I didn't know where they bought it until Grande Man posted above.

Ed

Those are really neat! Yep, so far all we have is the plain USPS issue box, but one day.... :D

I really like the caboose idea, but I'm afraid the small detail parts would be too much of a temptation for the dozens of kids that pass by each day on their way to and from school.

Claudia,

Why not run a spur out to the curb, schedule a mail extra 6 days a week, and put that 'G' scale to work??:D

Johnny

...but I'm afraid the small detail parts would be too much of a temptation for the dozens of kids that pass by each day.

Sit out there with a baseball bat and when they start to touch the mailbox you say "You toucha a my mail box and I breaka you hand/arm/face" after a month or sao and four or five broken appendages they might get the message.

Back