The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

Ken , watching your videos it seems that you got your kinked trackwork fixed . The ride looked very smooth . What was the final solution you came up with to prevent that from happening again? Your layout is fantastic !!! Something to be proud of for sure .

The kinks are handled pretty much the same as the real railroads handle them with loosening then ties, move them over a bit then secure them again.

do you also cut a gap in the track for expansion , or do you think something else caused this?

After the roadbed was built and the track laid, I turned to work on the signal system which gave the wood the time it needed to settle. A lot of kinks showed up in the trackwork that had to be fixed. Just a matter of cutting the track to relieve the pressure. I think all the wood has pretty much settled. The ballast also helps to lock the track onto the roadbed so there shouldn't be anymore problems.

Last edited:
Happens on prototypes too.

100777[1].jpg

Things have been going kinda slow on the D&J Railroad. Slow pace at scenery, buying motive power, busy with video projects.
I have been looking at this section of the railroad as additional storage space for intermodal cuts of cars. I finished the benchwork and will begin the cork roadbed work this evening. The three way turnout will be a bit to far from the operator isle, so I'll have to put a small control panel in there to activate the turnout.
The cork roadbed lead goes up to the point where the threeway turnout will be installed. I will be able to get about 10' of cars in each track.

0710152003.jpg

Last edited:
Laid the cork this evening. Two of the tracks should hold about 20 well cars each. These will be stub ended tracks. The three way turnout is visible at the bottom right.

intermodal yard turnout 1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to have you back Ken. I was beginning to wonder where you went. Looks good. Thanks for the updates. Always looking forward to them.

Ohhh, I've been around. Just haven't been posting here in a while. I've been posting a lot of video clips of new motive power though.

Finished the intermodal storage tracks. This additional set of tracks will hold about 40 wells. Now I'm working on improving the approach track to this set of sidings.

Last edited:
The approach track from the mainline to the intermodal yard was a single #10 left hand turnout. I didn't have a lot of room for a switcher to move cars into and out of the storage tracks. I decided to replace the #10 turnout with a slip switch.
The first picture here is the turnout before removal. Traffic on the D&J Railroad had to be halted while this work was going on.

slip 4.jpg

I removed the Tortoise machine and disconnected the solder power wires them pulled the turnout from the roadbed.

I had to trim the distant connecting tracks to connect to the slip. I drilled the holes for the Tortoise machine control wires to extend through the roadbed then tacked the slip switch in place. The two distant tracks just beyond the slip are the A/D tracks for the intermodal yard. The three way turnout is about 10 feet further up the left track.

Slip2.jpg

Tomorrow night I'll install the last section of track to connect the mainline then install the fiddle track to the slip. Once the track is proven out, I'll install the Tortoise machines and wire them into the signal system.

Last edited:
Looking good Ken. I ended up having to put a double slip in my yard area due to space limitations. I didn't like the idea at first, but now that I have been able to finally get the yard operational, it sure makes a difference.

Missed your updates. Which YouTube channel has the majority of your videos ? Enjoy them a lot.

Looking good Ken.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chet

Ok, here's an update on the operations and scenery of the empire. I'll be conducting an op session this weekend on the 27th of Sept 2015. I finished up a few projects that had been lingering and cleaned the basement up.

[video=youtube;e885GU4Xp_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e885GU4Xp_M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Back