The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

Awwwww, come on man. I gotta do some scenery for a while and I have to job search during the day. Had another interview today and walked away with a contingent offer for the senior lead logistics position if they win the contract award in late Feb.

Awwwww, come on man. I gotta do some scenery for a while and I have to job search during the day. Had another interview today and walked away with a contingent offer for the senior lead logistics position if they win the contract award in late Feb.

That's what happens when you leave the audience wanting more!!!

Between writing resumes and interviewing for jobs, I'm able to get some work done on the empire.
This is building the edge of the benchwork to dress up where it meets the fascia. It starts out with foam board, cut to match the curve of the fascia then glued to the wood benchwork. Some weights hold it down till tomorrow. When the glue is dried I shape the foam with a rasp file then smear wall plaster over the foam to the general contour that I want the scenery to look like. The final step is a coating of the textured latex with brown paint and some highlighting coloring added to knock off the pink tone that comes out of the brown paint somehow. At a later point I'll move the fascia up to the top edge of the foam board. While that is drying, I'll do some more ballasting of the track. Plenty of that to do.

Fill 1.jpg

Last edited:
Looking very good. My experience was using the foamboard between layout inner edge and track was way too much work.

That is really looking good Ken. What a difference from all of the open bench work. Really starting to take shape. Drooling waiting to see more updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a "COX" made in the UK caulk gun I see in the second picture in post 626? I thought I was the only person to use one, and they are soo nice.

Great work on the layout, keep the videos coming (I know it takes a great deal of work to make and edit them).

Thank you.

Ken , watching your videos it seems that you got your kinked trackwork fixed . The ride looked very smooth . What was the final solution you came up with to prevent that from happening again? Your layout is fantastic !!! Something to be proud of for sure .

Back