The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Day to you all and hope it has started out well for you.
Flo, where you been for the last couple of days. With who :eek: ??? Don't worry, I won't tell, but it must have been very cold up there. I missed breakfast, so how about a hot roast beef sandwich, ice tea, and a piece of that coconut cream pie sitting over there.

Once again I have a dozen, too many, irons in the fire at the same time. I have started the serious planning of my room expansion, hard research of my signals project, and trying to semi-finish Sawmill Ridge. I don't know why I do this to myself; just can't break old job habits, I guess.:( The good part is Sawmill Ridge is near "semi-completion" with the water for the log pond being poured today. This should put it in the operation mode for a while. Hope to have photos for you by the weekend post.

KenL: Slow down! I can't keep up with all the great progress your making. Man, your steel setup is heading to first class status quickly.;)

Steve: A Steam Whistle on the computer startup? Now that is what I call a hardcore railroad fan.:D Where did you get the sound file?

RT/Everyone: Watch out for scams with big discounts on magazines. I just saw on the news were people are getting wrong magazines or no magazines. Many publishers are sending out warnings.

Fergie: Just tell your CFO that if you didn't blow the whistles loud the boilers would blow up.:rolleyes:

David: Glad it is you instead of me doing all that rewiring. That can make you an angry man in a hurry. Just be careful!

Rex - great to see ya, I was wondering why you hadn't posted since Saturday - glad to see you're OK.:D Can't wait to see photos of the updated Sawmill Ridge. BTW Thanx for the kind 'assessment' of my mill, I hope actually turns out that way since I've committed myself to do a clinic in Philly this July.:eek: The theme of the talk will be "Iron Belt: Dream-vs-Reality" with a bunch of slides thrown in (nothing you guys haven't already seen though).

Rex i got the whistle sound from MS train sim library somewhere, it took some finding though, i have a local line add on and it was in there
Ken road slug i bet you find the missing bit of the BOF just when you have built the replacment.

KenL: The compliment is well deserved. I know talent when I see it.;)

Steve: I wish that I had that steam whistle before I retired...boy, the fun I could have had:D .

Eric, I have been looking and reading a lot on the signals and have started trying to figure out where I want the blocks. I am taking your advise in installing extra blocks in the long hidden tracks. This will work fine with the 3 aspect system. The best I can figure so far, this is what I need equipment wise.
1. BDL168
2. SE8C
3. Ribbon Cable and kits
4. Digitrax terminal strip mounting kits.
5. Computer software. What do you know about WINLOC?
6. Signal masts and heads
7. CONFIDENCE :)
8. ???

What can you add?

Last edited by a moderator:
Question.

Every car has an "A" end and a "B" end. The "B" end is the brake end of a car. The question is: is there a set convention that would dictate that the "B" end should in the direction of the back of a consist?

Or in other words, in relation to a pulling engine, should the brake end of a car be pointed toward the back end of a train.

please, can someone enlighten me?

Happy MRRing
rrcx2.gif

RexHea said:
What can you add?

Not a thing. I think you're off to a great start!

Don't know a thing about WINLOC. Maybe someone else can help you there. Is it supposed to be better than JMRI?

Here's a serious note, anyone see Donald Trump is suing a writer and publisit for $5BIL for, essentialy, slander, when the writer accused him of not being a Billionare, that he suspects his net worth to be in the 250mil range...

jbaakko said:
Here's a serious note, anyone see Donald Trump is suing a writer and publisit for $5BIL for, essentialy, slander, when the writer accused him of not being a Billionare, that he suspects his net worth to be in the 250mil range...
Poor Donald, Life is soooooo hard.

:p :D ;) :p :D ;) :p :D ;) :p :D ;) :p :D ;) :p :D ;) :p :D ;) :p :D ;)

Morning all,

Hope all the gang and all yours are doing well.

Things are good here at teh Coyote Den. My birthday presents from the OL finally arrived, whew shipping sure can be slow sometimes. She got us, amongst other things, a Woondland Scenics: Straight Mod-U-Rail Unit, thought it would be a fun experiment for us... Since I have not seen a review anywhere of the Mod-U-Rail stuff I thought maybe while we make it (they say it only takes two to three evenings) that I'd photo the process from start to finish and then post it up on the forums here so everyone could take a gander; honestly I have my doubts about it but never look a gift from the wife in the mouth. *winks*

The big news here was I was able to get my hands on a copy of 'Frank Ellison on Model Railroads' from 1954, so far it is a great read. Mr. Ellison was a truely gifted man. If the book will hold up to it and if no one possesses the copyright anymore, I'll try and make photo copies to share around.

Well that's all the news today from the Coyote's Den, accept that I am loving my new hot foam cutter, although the OL is sure I'm gonna end up branding myself with it, too bad she's probably right. *chuckles*

Hi coffee shoppers, I'm back for a brief spell - my son's school opened two hours late today because of a few surprise snow flurries (remember this is Maryland:rolleyes: ) so I had just enough time to turn around, pick him up from the school, bring him home, wait a half-hour then turn around to drive him back! [His mom is out doing hospital rounds, blissfully unaware of the problem...]

Rex - I wish you luck with that signalling, that's something I have on the farthest back burner on my tudo list!:D

Steve B said:
Ken road slug i bet you find the missing bit of the BOF just when you have built the replacment.
Well Steve then I guess it'll be popping up any minute now, I just finished the replacement crane hardware last night;)

Coyote - looking forward to the photos of your WS mod-u-rail experiment. What type of foam cutter did you get - is it "closed loop" like a slingshot with a wire across the top, or a heated knife?

Luc - good question, but I don't have an answer - I've often wondered that myself...

OK time's up, gotta take Cal back to school - see you all later!

Evening / afternoon all,
busy day today, our Gemma fell onto the fireplace and landed on a glass ornament of the CFO's, it smashed and cut her head all over the place, just got in from the ER, they did a quick glueing job and sent her home, it was a great adventure for her as they have a fish tank and loads of Lego, she forgot why she was there, a very brave little girl.
off to bed now

Oh Steve!! Even having survived kids and grandkids, that still brought tears to my eyes and a glitch in my tummy. Soooo scary! But yes, they do seem to bounce back more quickly than we do, don't they? So glad Gemma is OK!

I'm with ya there Steve it's never nice when the wee ones are sick, ours had a bout of the V's and D's and just lay on the couch. She can't tell us whats wrong (22 months) so it's not nice. Hope all is well with Gemma.

Ken.

Steve and NZKen, I feel for you both. I've had to make several ER visits for my kids. The most recent was for my youngest, Stephanie, when she was ~4yrs old, she somehow got a gash in her hand that needed 6 stitches. The hospital I took her to did not have the entertainment that yours had Steve, so poor Stephanie just sat there for several hours in the waiting room. The only way I can describe that memory is by paraphrasing the Tin Man at the end of the classic Wizard of Oz movie: "Now I know I got a heart, 'cuz its breaking!"

Hospitals, Phooey! Scare the Prune Juice out of me! But as I told Dad recently "Not to worry They don't send you to hospitals to die anymore..." What I didn't tell him was that they send you home to die!

Oh cheery thoughts I know. Steve very sorry to hear about Gemma as when one of us get hurt wehad it coming and should have known better but when the wee ones get hurt the heart sinks and the tears well up.

Well not too much on the go, well there is but I won't go down that spur today. Got another two rock faces in and will do the third in about thirty minutes. By the time I'm done I will have gotten 15' (real Feet) of cliffs in. I've taken pictures this time so I can pass on this cheap yet effective technique on.

Later all

Fergie

Hi, Flo. Cuppa joe and a plate of scrambled please.

Boy have I had fun since my last visit! Tuesday I had all my lousy teeth pulled and dentures put in. That wasn't the bad part. Now I have a huge knot in the side of my gums! Also had a bone splinter in it that was causing me grief. Went back to the surgeon this morning and he cut out the splinter with a bone cutter. Decided that it would be best if I took my new store boughts out and left them out for now. Thinks it may be a hematoma and not an abcess. Sure hope so, don't wanna have to go back in the hospital again, been there enough. All I gotta do now is get a grey beard and I can do a REAL GOOD imitation of Gabby Hayes!

Hey CJ, scrambled eggs? Heck man, how about some corn on the cob, steak, and some chewing gum for desert. You may not be able to chew them, but think of all the time you can pass by gumming them.:p :D

RexHea said:
Hey CJ, scrambled eggs? Heck man, how about some corn on the cob, steak, and some chewing gum for desert. You may not be able to chew them, but think of all the time you can pass by gumming them.:p :D

Oh so Cruel... :D :D :D

Evening all, you would never know Gemma was in the hospital, she is not in the slightest bit concerned about the cuts and bruises, i had to have some blood taken today (six syringes) almost an armfull i recon,,, i must admit it scares the pants off me, i once fainted and knocked a door off the hinges at the dentist after an injection, very amusing stuff when i look back.

Carey i feel for you big time :eek: :eek: :eek: , hope the teeth get settled in real soon, i guess steak is off the menu for you today, slap it on my plate and i'll have it:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back