So what are you listening to right NOW?

Oh, Lord! I love you man! And you are breaking my heart--literally--right here.

----------------

Nicolette Larson played the one tune I know I probably won't ever find a recording of.

She played lead-in for The Ozark Mountain Daredevils one night at a small club--JJ McCabe's in Boulder CO. I went there that night to see The OMD... [* I wanted to hear "Watermill" from their iconic LP "Men From Earth"--they didn't play it].

....But it was Nicolette who just blew me away with her solo acoustic guitar rendition of "My Arms Stay Open All Night." Same rhythm and key as here, methinks.

It's most well known as a Tanya Tucker song. I know you can get it on CD, as I did so myself (and I only seldom go for country).

Nicolette just blew me away that night, so much so that I've never forgotten it, and probably never will.

And so much so that I ended up pestering her widower husband, session drummer Russ Kunkel: "Is there, by any remote chance, a cardboard box full of tapes...or just junk...underneath the stairs?"

And he said to me, point blank: "No, there aren't any [such] boxes [underneath the stairs]. And there never were." If there were any, he had cleared them out and ridded himself of them. Pretty clear to me: Don't ask again. Let it go.

Which meant it was lost--if she ever recorded it at all--to the ages. And to me.

Sucks. I'd love to pass it along to the next generation(s). I suppose this might be as good a place as any to start though. Thanks man!

Last edited:
Oh, Lord! I love you man! And you are breaking my heart--literally--right here.

----------------

Nicolette Larson played the one tune I know I probably won't ever find a recording of.

She played lead-in for The Ozark Mountain Daredevils one night at a small club--JJ McCabe's in Boulder CO. I went there that night to see The OMD... [* I wanted to hear "Watermill" from their iconic LP "Men From Earth"--they didn't play it].

....But it was Nicolette who just blew me away with her solo acoustic guitar rendition of "My Arms Stay Open All Night." Same rhythm and key as here, methinks.

It's most well known as a Tanya Tucker song. I know you can get it on CD, as I did so myself (and I only seldom go for country).

Nicolette just blew me away that night, so much so that I've never forgotten it, and probably never will.

And so much so that I ended up pestering her widower husband, session drummer Russ Kunkel: "Is there, by any remote chance, a cardboard box full of tapes...or just junk...underneath the stairs?"

And he said to me, point blank: "No, there aren't any [such] boxes [underneath the stairs]. And there never were." If there were any, he had cleared them out and ridded himself of them. Pretty clear to me: Don't ask again. Let it go.

Which meant it was lost--if she ever recorded it at all--to the ages. And to me.

Sucks. I'd love to pass it along to the next generation(s). I suppose this might be as good a place as any to start though. Thanks man!

She had a voice, Nicolette did have a nice voice! She was so young and passed to soon. She has played with many great singers and bands. Doobie Brothers, Neil Young, Michael Jackson to name a few....Lotta Love is probably her most popular song. I always wondered what old recorded songs she may have done that has never been released to the public etc.

Another amazing voice was Linda Ronstadt, a lot people don't know her history either. There is a great documentary on her life called the sound of my voice.

Incredible video. She was partly responsible for some great singers and bands, to name a few Vince Gil, Don Henley, Glen Frye, The Eagles etc...

Last edited:
Cherish by the Association.
You can, I'm sure, name their other three too: "Windy" would be own favorite, I think, and "Never my Love"second (but that's just me).
I was finishing a line from "cherish" by the Association.
Re your post #55? "That's a word I used to describe?"
I'm trying to read most of the forum, since I'm new it will take some weeks.
Have you heard about the quicksilver messenger service? And when it come to newer bands listen to the dutch band DeWolff.
I love music. Blues, rock and metal... so many things that you can listen to.
The advantage of a thread like this is that anyone can go back and...even if difficult...follow through posts and find some real gems for themselves. Which is why I was nervous about starting it, but also grateful for having it.

I certainly have. My own current "playlist" sports...mostly...tunes and songs I would not--ever I don't think--have been exposed to, but WERE treated to by virtue of a given forums "What are you listening thing to right NOW?" threads.

I happen to respond to "light jazz/pop/smooth stuff, for example. So I give you, and here's just one:

No lyrics. Simple fare, really, but I've loved it from the first time I heard it.

Lucky me (seriously). Lucky me.

I'm trying to read most of the forum, since I'm new it will take some weeks.
Have you heard about the quicksilver messenger service? And when it come to newer bands listen to the dutch band DeWolff.
I love music. Blues, rock and metal... so many things that you can listen to.
If you do, then you are most welcome here. :D

I've only heard this a hundred times or so--I start watching either BOB or The Pacific every Memorial Day weekend. Still great every time.

I've posted many times my own view that (BOB's) Episode Nine,"Why We Fight" should be mandatory viewing in every American High School at some point.

Every year we go on, though, the less and less likely it is that my idea will ever happen. So be it. The loss to the most recent generations is their loss.

Last edited:
Re: Post #65 and John Denver's "Late Nite Radio."

For me, the one I remember most was not radio, but was the "sign-off broadcast" tune each night on what was then "9 News" TV Denver. I called the station, and they tracked down the photographer, who by then had already left to do other things. Someone there did, anyway, and the photographer responded. I'm grateful they both did so even today, else I'd not have known about it, and even though it was actually there in front of me the whole time. I just rarely or never played the B-side, fool that I was then, but hopefully am not now.

The tune was (no lyrics), part of the "Season Suite," on the B-side of the disc. On the B-side of JD's classic 'Rocky Mountain High" LP.

It's entitled "Late Winter, Early Spring."

====

If there is ever a funeral for me--and anyone to attend it--"Late Winter, Early Spring" is the only tune I would want played. Just that one.

Just this one, and not that same photographer:

Last edited:

@ 13:55. The houses...the homes and buildings are all photographed in Silverton CO or Telluride CO.

The Band Of Brothers theme has me thinking of this one as well: Mark Isham's "On the Threshold of Liberty" from his LP "Vapor Drawings."

I have had a short film I long ago created inside my head for years as tribute to "Torpedo Eight" at The Battle of Midway set to this piece.

I'd attach a link, but apparently you have to go to YouTube itself to listen to it. Can't link to it from other sites.

Worth searching YouTube for a short moment or two to find it. Just enter the title....

Last edited:
This one is (I think) the Garth Brooks finale song at the end of the movie "Frequency." It's VERY hard to find, for whatever reason, and it does say "tribute," which could have several meanings:

If you have NOT seen this movie, or even heard of it, I can only recommend it in the strongest terms. It's brilliant, well crafted, convoluted, and so layered you can watch it many times over and STILL know you've missed stuff.

=================

EDIT: As painful as the video is, this is, I think, the original Garth Brooks song. @0:19:

Last edited:

Back