So what are you listening to right NOW?

Snowman

The only (vague) rule--we can't enforce it anyway--is that if you post a link, you have to listen to at least a few bars of your own song. Or watch a minute or two of your own posted video or song. If only so you can comment on it, if anyone asks you about it, without a "well, I haven't actually listened to it in a while--I just remember it" back from you. If that's your reply, then you aren't really posting in the spirit of the thing.

"logandsawman" (!) just started the whole thing off when he said (in the Coffee shop, post #672): ...Snowman, Todd, I am terrible at remembering song titles and words, usually there is only a phrase or bit of a tune. Don't usually listen to the radio except maybe a half hour on the way home from work. I don't have a playlist but do enjoy when a song comes up that fits my mood, [...]

...so here we go. :D

Note, it's kinda hard to pick up the first of Tom's spoken words, but I think it goes something like "if Judy (Collins) says you remembered the sixties, you weren't really there..."].

Tom Rush. "The Remember Song":

Last edited:
I love the bongo drums on this one by Peter Green. You can hear his influence on Mark Knopfler in this song. Have a listen to this, then listen to the Dire Straits song "Follow Me Home." If memory serves, both songs came out around teh same time.

Then listen to this. It starts out really slow, you can skip to about 30-40 seconds in

I love the bongo drums on this one by Peter Green. You can hear his influence on Mark Knopfler in this song. Have a listen to this, then listen to the Dire Straits song "Follow Me Home." If memory serves, both songs came out around teh same time.

Then listen to this. It starts out really slow, you can skip to about 30-40 seconds in
I can hear it, and you don't need to skip in. Slick.

OK, Jeff jogged me into listening to the Peter Green album with Slabo Day on it, so that's what I am listening to now. In the Skies is the album name and yes,as he posted, In the Skies was released a month before the Dire Straits album Communique.

For those who don't know Peter Green, he originally became famous in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers as Eric Clapton's replacement. He then founded Fleetwood Mac with those guys and played with them for 3 or 4 years in the late 60's-early 70's. Mental issues got in his way and he periodically emerged as a solo artist and in his own group for many albums from 1979 until the late-2000's, although he was still active until his passing in 2020 I've been a fan of his since those Bluesbreaker days of 1966.

Last edited:
I went through a period of a few months where I was infatuated with soundtracks from Quentin Tarentino films, and came across this song from the 50's. It's a beautiful song, but has to be one of the saddest songs I've heard.

I also found this one which is pretty rare

Peter Green never played a superfluous note. Every note he played was important, and he often did as much with the space between the notes as he did with the notes themselves.

He inspired many many guitarists.

It's too bad he went over the deep end with drugs, because he was an amazing musician.

I like a lot of genres of music, and really appreciate the Funkadelic stuff from the 70's.

I give you Ike & Tina Turner's remake of Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love. Turn it up.

Peter Green never played a superfluous note. Every note he played was important, and he often did as much with the space between the notes as he did with the notes themselves.
Ironically Peter Green did not play lead guitar on Slabo Day. He only played rhythm guitar. Fellow English guitarist Snowy White played lead on that track and the title album track In the Skies. Green was too nervous and didn't think he was ready for lead after his stay in a mental hospital.

Last edited:
I just finished listening to 35 minutes of Elvis Presley on Sirius Radio, which my wife played on our return trip from the weekly grocery trek. Unfortunately it was not his best material. Someone who I never saw in person, however my wife had a couple of times.

Snowy White also played backup guitar on some Pink Floyd Songs, and also played on tour with them. He is another one of those whose guitar "says more with a pregnant pause than with a flurry of notes."

I had never heard that Santana song before. Thanks for posting that!

He has always explored such a broad array of musical styles.

I had never heard that Santana song before. Thanks for posting that!

He has always explored such a broad array of musical styles.
It comes from his 1979 album "Marathon". It was a departure from much of what he had done in the past. By the time this album was recorded, only the two conga players were left from his original classic band from his Woodstock days. This song sounds great on headphones with the sound drifting from ear to ear.

Back