So what are you listening to right NOW?

I left the iPod at home while on vacation this year, but bought along a few CD's. Drove my wife absolutely batty when I played The Grand Wazoo, by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

Last edited:
I left the iPod at home while on vacation this year, but bought along a few CD's. Drove my wife absolutely batty when I played The Grand Wazoo, by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.
Ok, I think I'm onboard with your wife on this one, sorry. Zappa, at least here, eludes me. Of course, I even like Pop. I'll guess you don't....

Although it does also have ,too, some of the structure of Yes's "South Side of the Sky" (from the Fragile Album):

Last edited:
I think this qualifies, as I have been humming this to myself for the last four hours or so, and haven't played even for myself the real song/video. It just resonates with me, so I can conjure it up from memory when I want to.

"Ocean Breeze." Pablo Cruise. This is about twelve minutes long, and you won't hear any lyrics until the last two minutes or so. The almost tuneless meandering Cory Lerios plays in the last forty seconds of the song always takes me away.

======

The first real concert I ever attended was Pablo Cruise, and my buddy and I had fourth row seats in front of a speaker stack about twelve feet high. They had just released their first LP, and, IMO, this was the best song of all--the only one I even remember in fact. I will never forget it

Cory Lerios, the pianist, was concert trained, and it shows here.

YEARS later, I heard them again in a small club. At the end of the set, they asked for requests, and about twenty of us stood up and yelled "Ocean Breeze." Sadly, it was not to be. "Anything but that one," they replied.

I guess when you put your soul into replaying a song as much as they did over the years, it just takes its toll, so I get it.

But I wonder too, now and then...when was the last time they all played it together? And did they even realize it WAS the last time...at the time?

Hope you like it.

Last edited:
I was into Windham Hill back in the late 80's, early 90's when I was into new age music. I really got to like an album called Caverna Magica by Andreas Vollenweider. I still like listening to that album.

I was listening to some Youtube videos and came across this guy. Amazing talent.

I was into Windham Hill back in the late 80's, early 90's when I was into new age music. I really got to like an album called Caverna Magica by Andreas Vollenweider. I still like listening to that album.

I was listening to some Youtube videos and came across this guy. Amazing talent.
Vollenreider, wow! I had forgotten him. AFAIK he first made a big splash as a harpist, although this number makes it clear he knows his strings backwards and forwards (I'll guess he can play violins, etc. too).

I have his "Behind the Gardens" LP from...the early 80's: Not sure if this was his hit from that album or not, but I liked it. Still do.

The title track worked for me, as did Lion and Sheep. Never did get Afternoon though. :D

[Now you've got me rolling, which is what I was really hoping for from this thread. Thanks, man!]

If I want other storms and weather (and I do on occasion luv me some weather at times), I do go for Enya (from Watermark*): Storms in Africa I, and most particularly Storms in Africa II:

(*Orinoco Flow might be her best known track, but Watermark is chock full of good stuff. The Longships...and the two Storms...and more.
Also luv me some kalimba, and this CD is one of the bigger reasons. Earth Wind and Fire would be the other).

The latter finishes off what is already a tour de force album (IMO). Flat out...trainline airbrakes and independent brakes both open to atmosphere...

............................and all units in "Run 8." Going downhill! :D

Last edited:
So now that I'm rolling...I'll go a bit further still.

THIS video always blows me away, and even though he--Ueli Steck--broke this record of his own not long after (and after...Dani Arnold (I think) broke it first):

The actual song, alone itself, is here:

Last edited:
I'm trying to read most of the forum, since I'm new it will take some weeks.
Have you heard about the quicksilver messenger service? And when it come to newer bands listen to the dutch band DeWolff.
I love music. Blues, rock and metal... so many things that you can listen to.

Have you heard about the quicksilver messenger service?
I have many of their albums and saw them live a couple of times in the early 70's. John Cipollina was an excellent guitar player prior to his death in 1989. Another founding member, bassist David Freiberg, later was a key part of The Jefferson Starship. Freiberg is the only original member still performing with the band, having rejoined in 2006.

This is the last song to come up on my music player.
It reminds me of the time when my then soon to be wife lived in Hungary.
Almost 20 years later I love her more every day.

Back