Slugs & Bugs (B-units)

Changed up the plan. All 5 of these will be BN black/green. The next batch will be BNSF Heritage I. Progress so far. The basic paint is done, custom made 10 handrails, that was not fun.

100_3467.jpg

I've started working on cutting down a U boat to be a slug... Not sure which RR is gonna own it, or what locomotive(s) it will run with, but I'm gonna roll with it and see what happens...

Dan, I'm going to try and get this first one done and list it next Sunday evening. I'll post it when I do. I'll give you a heads up on it. No reserve and start at .99 let it end where it ends. :)

dispatcher812, the cabs and lack of cabs on most units you'll see on here the modelers have kitbashed or scratch built. I won't say they are easy to do, but they aren't hard either. Mostly just time consuming. Here's the finished project of the version of the BNSF's SW10B.

100_3501.jpg

100_3502.jpg

Almost ready for paint:

DSC05376.jpg

I glued sheet styrene over the doors and roof after filing off the details. I left a few louvers at one end fro traction motor blowers. Now I need to decide to leave the fuel tank or to remove it. Any thought fron the experts? (it's for one of my 2 freelanced roads. I'm thinking the Texas and Gulf Coast, but the on the Virginia and Alleghenny all diesels are fitted with power jumpers for when the run under the wires MU'd to electrics...)

I'm also considering making the unit a remote control control unit equipped with antennas and yellow strobes.

(interesting note: one of the donor shells was a brush painted (i.e. thick and gloppy) Amtrak unit (solid orange Amtrak U-boat? musta been freelanced by someone...) under all that glop hid a factory Rock Island red scheme...)

Nice job filling all the holes and cracks. Most yard slugs had the fuel tanks removed although slugs made from SW frames usually had the fuel tank filled with concrete for extra ballast. Road slugs, OTOH, commonly kept their fuel tanks and were used as fuel tenders for the rest of the consist. The UP had lots of road slugs with fuel tanks. If you're planning on making it a remote control yard slug, I'd remove the tank and hang some air reservoirs in its place. Otherwise, keep the fuel tank.

Back