Show your storage solutions

NYSW F45

Beeing in a small apartment I dont have the room for a work bench. So for those that are in tight quarters, what do you do or use to keep everything organized? show some pics!!

I live in a town home. all I can do is put stuff in the attic or hide stuff under the bench layout. I also cut a hole in a rear closet wall to use storage under the stairs. sorry no pics!!

I'll show some pics tomorrow, but I have a long workbench(8ft. long) that I use that rolls out from under one of my train tables. My dad built in when he was 14 years old. I added the wheels & now I use it. It has a 1&1/4" oak top. Have 2 small bench grinders, 2 flex arm lights, & many other work items. All of my friends that have their own layouts come over & use my work table to repair their equipment. Every train table has rolling shelving under them. About 20-4ft long shelves. Plus I have a 40ft. long balcony for storage above one side of my layout that is 4ft wide. Then I have another 5 by 10 ft. balcony above one end of my layout for plywood & plastic sheeting storage.
Below my control panel table I have 4 parts cabinets for small parts & a large bookshelf.
At one end of a table I have a rolling tool cabinet & on the other side I have another rolling tool cabinet. Anyway, I'll take a few pics tomorrow.

Larry

i've thought about making somekind of rolling/modular bench that could be converted into a layout. But not sure where to start.

carboard-box.png

If it's a just a workbench you need, a Black and Decker Workmate will work very well. It folds up when you don't need it and has a decent size surface and height when it's open. Some of those plastic divider boxes from Walmart can be used to store your modeling supplies when you put the Workmate away. As to a combination rolling work bench and layout surface, I suppose it could be done but I don't think it's very practical. Just thinking of all the wiring I have attached to terminal strips on the shelf unit that serves as a control center and storage. It would be awfully hard to make that roll anywhere without ripping out a lot of wires. :)

Up, thanks for that recommendation for the black and decker tables. I'll have to check them out and maybe sears tools section too. Kinda dont want to keep working on our new dining room table.

for storage, when I lived in an apartment for a few months I built a shelf system out of 1x2s.

a pair of vertical 1x2 with shelves of single 1x2 flat between, just wide enough for piece of 3' flextrack for rolling stock storage, spaced for the tallest piece (in my case hi-cube boxcars).

Eventually, the track and the 1x2 became part of the permanent layout, so nothing was wasted.

HO btw

If you are using a workmate - get an offcut of multi-layer plywood, and screw a piece of 2"x 4" to the back. The 2"x 4" drops in between the clamping bits on the workmate and gives you a solid top workbench that will take a clamp-on modlers vice etc. It can store in the folded workmate or in a cupboard. When it gets too beat-up just replace it.

Great idea, Shortliner. I did something similar with masonite, which is cheaper but also a lot heavier. If I was going to do it again, I'd use plywood as you suggest.

Alco, your storage area looks more well stocked than some LHS i've been in.

Most of my stuff is kept in 6 matching totes! the tight seal keeps bugs and moister out and freshness in!

Alco, your storage mess looks awfully nice to me. If all those boxes are full...let's see...what did you say your address was again? :)

Yep! I do miss my o'l layout when I lived in Arkansas it was an around the room style module bench design I would be able to get all these bad boys on there and working that revenue but my little shelf 2'x12' layout will have to do now (which is the second shelf from the bottom above my computer desk) ...I am working on getting a building built out back but due to economic times I will wait it out a little bit.

Heres my work area and storage. The only reason the work area is so neat is I just put everything away before leaveing town on a trip:D

Gene

Very nice and neatly organized workbench, Gene. I need to pick up one of those lazy susan things for al my paint. It's on wire shelves now and spends most of its time falling off. Nice display cases too. Looks like you must be into European trains.

Thanks Jim...I do like European trains, and have been playing with mostly UK for the past 5 years...started on North American this past spring.
The lasy susan is handy, but most of my paints are Humbrol and ModelMaster enamels..smaller containers so they fit nicely in the 2 bottom left drawers of the Ikea units.
I wish I had more room for a slightly bigger work station, that little table gets very cluttered very quickly and I would love to be able to install a small spray-booth. But in the end it all works well enough for me to enjoy:D

Gene

Alco, your storage mess looks awfully nice to me. If all those boxes are full...let's see...what did you say your address was again? :)

Yep they are full...my wife threatens for garage sale then I told her what about her stuff...she got more shoes and purses than any woman I know! That is just for starters....ugh!

My address is:

Bailey Yard, North Platte
3985 Railroad Ave,
Planet I wish I was there! :D:D:D

Well I store my cars in Aline Boxes that have been organized by car type. I keep some empty boxes in case I want to sell any down the road and as for my workbench well its not something that will fit in an apartment, LOL.

Workshop9-30-20083.png

Workshop9-30-20082.png

Workshop9-30-20084.png

Things to work on.

Stock.png

Stock2.png

Storage for Freight / Passenger cars.

Workshop9-30-20087.png

Workshop9-30-20089.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back