Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all! A beautiful day in the making. Presently sunny and 62.
Waiting on some Christmas lights to be delivered. Some of last year's stuff quit working and I wanted to go a little less. Getting old I guess, but climbing ladders and dragging boxes of stuff out just to display for a month just seems too hard to do. I don't want to be a grinch, so a smaller display will have to do.

Willie - Hope all goes well for Arlene. Tell her she can run some trains when she gets home. That ought to cheer her up.

Some great photos from all the diners.

1638206093154.jpeg

Not my photo, but I do like it.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Just got the call from the doctor who performed the revision surgery on my wife's knee. He said that they were finished, everything went well and she's in a room now. She just sent me a text saying that she was groggy and in pain (expected) but wasn't sure yet whether she will be released today.

We both sincerely thank each and everyone for your best wishes and positive thoughts.

Just got the call from the doctor who performed the revision surgery on my wife's knee. He said that they were finished, everything went well and she's in a room now. She just sent me a text saying that she was groggy and in pain (expected) but wasn't sure yet whether she will be released today.

We both sincerely thank each and everyone for your best wishes and positive thoughts.

Speedy recovery!

Afternoon All,

No time in the train room today since Dad had a VA appointment at 1 pm then had errands to run. Tomorrow I have to take Dad to the DMV to get his handicapped placard for his car and change his license home address.

Has anyone used either Midwest Model RR or Monroe Models? Any recommendations?

Willie- Great news.

Mikey- Great looking truck and story about your dad.

Tom- Nice yard decorations except for that white stuff.

James- That's a great looking loco and MOW crane.

Sherrel- Neat picture.

Hughie- I totally agree. Great photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon shop dwellers. I hope all is well across the 1:1 layout this afternoon.

Willie- Fantastic news about your wife. I pray for a speedy, pain-free recovery.

Sherrel- That is a lot of motive power. Great shot.

Made it by the second train shop today, and boy am I pleased I found it. They did not have a huge selection of N scale, but they had enough. They also had a decent amount of HO. They had a small layout set up in the back, but I did not get any pics of it. I stopped by while I was in the area in between a couple of deliveries, so I had to grab my stuff and go. It is definitely on the list to visit again.

I found a few nice things that I could not live without:

261998651_881919759356418_2143765233740815175_n.jpg My original plan was to re-letter this for the Crossroads Inquirer, but I don't know if I will.

262671870_190516873287762_4122091881595474134_n.jpg I have not decided yet which one it will be, but one of these will be the editor's car.

261814469_1508158016204797_1847241785716391085_n.jpg I'm planning to put the Pepsi machine outside of the service station and will probably use the chest in the pizzeria or somewhere else.

261643846_1999756076872477_9065547746946135342_n.jpg Unlike all the folks in Willie's town, not everyone in Nathan's Crossroads is aboveboard. There is an unsavory element as well. Not sure where I will use these yet, but they will definitely help add a little excitement around town.

I also picked up a small can of flat black spray paint and some Testor's Dullcote so that progress may resume on the Shell station. I haven't decided on a name for it yet, but I am tossing around 2 options from the Stephen King universe. Either Vandenberg's Happy Gas (Christine) or Hap's (The Stand). This, as well as most things around town will be Easter Eggs to be found by those who know what to look for.

Y'all have a blessed evening. Since I don't have much else to do, I'm going to go watch paint dry.

I like it myself James. One of my best friends operated this type of equipment went he worked for the railroad. He already owns a gondola that looks just like the one in the photo. I'll send him the post. The last job I worked on the railroad before I left was exactly what's going on in the photo. Off loading ties.
George

George it is hard not to like this model. The detail and work that this guy puts into it is fantastic! He has a very detailed FB page and is very good at this and communicating to people. He is a class act and great guy! I have no problem spending this kind of money for this quality of work especially for a one man shop trying to make a living! Made in America!

Happy to report that I am back at home with my wife in tow, and all seems well. There will be pain for several days; we've been through knee replacement surgeries twice before and I know the routine. She is still quite groggy from the anesthesia but I know that she's fine from the number of times she told me to slow down on the way home. Picked up the pain-killer and an antibiotic from Walgreens on the way, so we're set for now. I already have the ice-water circulator working. We now have three of these gizmos!
Once again, we both thank everyone for the well wishes for both the surgery and speedy recovery.

Afternoon All,

No time in the train room today since Dad had a VA appointment at 1 pm then had errands to run. Tomorrow I have to take Dad to the DMV to get his handicapped placard for his car and change his license home address.

Has anyone used either Midwest Model RR or Monroe Models? Any recommendations?

Willie- Great news.

Mikey- Great looking truck and story about your dad.

Tom- Nice yard decorations except for that white stuff.

James- That's a great looking loco and MOW crane.

Sherrel- Neat picture.

Hughie- I totally agree. Great photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt, I use Midwest Model RR as one of my online purchasing places. Excellent service, ordered mid afternoon on a Saturday and was in Hawaii 2 days later on Monday. Good pricing but I alway check Hiawatha Hobbies, Lombard Hobbies and my LHS to compare first.
TomO

Happy to report that I am back at home with my wife in tow, and all seems well. There will be pain for several days; we've been through knee replacement surgeries twice before and I know the routine. She is still quite groggy from the anesthesia but I know that she's fine from the number of times she told me to slow down on the way home. Picked up the pain-killer and an antibiotic from Walgreens on the way, so we're set for now. I already have the ice-water circulator working. We now have three of these gizmos!
Once again, we both thank everyone for the well wishes for both the surgery and speedy recovery.
Glad to read this. My thoughts are with Arlene as she goes through the recovery process.

TomO

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

I've been intensely busy these past couple days, so I only had time to click a few thumps-up buttons but no actual replies.

Willie - glad to hear your wife's surgery was successful!

James - that gondola crawler model is so cool that I almost wish I was modeling a later era than 1969-72 so I could get one for my layout. Of course, then I'd have to sacrifice my cabin cars and install ditch lights...nah, I think I'll stay right where I'm at! 😁

Sherrell - I'm glad to see there are several "war bonnets" in that power move consist, those are truly an endangered species!

So what exactly has happened in my world over the past weekend? Catching up on sleep, running lots of Christmas-related errands, spending time with my 22yr-old daughter who was visiting from NYC - and the birthday party for my 1yr-old grandson on Sunday, where I had to briefly wear a Santa Claus suit so his mom could snap a number of photos with him on my lap. When I first heard my daughter utter the phrase "birthday party", I figured it would be a few other babies/toddlers and their moms...wrong! It was a huge production, ~40 adults and and 4 young'uns, 100 balloons covering the dining room wall, and food from a catering service. Not like any of birthday parties I remember hosting for my kids at that age...

On the model rr front, I finished the view-block wall that separates my main yard from the staging tracks. I had to re-engineer the support system to avoid having screws on the front of the wall, and that required a bit of trial-and-error experimentation. Once I tackled that, I needed to install the trim and gutter drain pipes. I promised I'd share pics of that so here they are -

...the wall in its entirety:
ViewBlockWallCompleted_FullView.jpg

...and a close-up of the sprues leftover from a few old kits, used as gutter drain pipes:
ViewBlockWallCompleted_CloseUp.jpg

I still need to put some clumps of Silflor grass at the bottom of each pipe, so they will look like they continue underground.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Willie I sympathise with the wife with my dodgy knee I hate my other half accelerating, de accelerating, swing out fast on roundabouts to beat other cars, driving over bumpy roads, hopefully like me she does not lash out when her leg hurts…otherwise you might end up with a fat ear lol, my doctors said use cold compresses to bring down the swelling,and not bother with warm ones,did she get the same advice?
Anyways you have my hopes for a speedy recovery for the wife, and for you having a second to not have to make her coffee,help her with all the otherwise silly little things you now need to do,look after yourselves….I used a wheelchair for a couple of weeks so I could carry stuff and give me leg a chance to heal, the type I could push with my hands so the other half could take a breather,a charity shop might have a second hand one if the hospital just left her on crutches.

Good morning y'all.

At present it is dark and cold, but thankfully no white stuff to deal with.

Flo- Coffee please. Yes, I think I will have The Usual this morning also.

I managed to get a coat of flat black on the floor and all of the interior walls of the service station. And I did so without painting anything in my hotel room with overspray. However, someone decided to cheap out during the construction process and did not install an exhaust fan in the bathroom so the whole room smelled of spray paint for about 3 hours. I will try to spray all the glass with Dullcote this evening. May goal is to get the exterior walls glued in place before i return home. I will not be able to complete the interior until after the parts I ordered arrive, as I do not yet know where to add the interior walls. I will probably have to make another trip to the hobby shop for some more paints and brushes for the detail work. Can't believe I found that part. It's almost as bad as working on a project and making 5 trips to Lowe's or Home Depot. Except I actually don't mind returning to the hobby shop.

When I return home I'm going to start toying around with the lights. I'm hoping to add one to the shop area, one to the store area, and possibly one over the pumps. Since I'm not modeling present era, I don't want the pumps lit up like an operating room, but I think a little light will help accent the scene. Hopefully I can put my hands on one of those old power supplies that I kept for this purpose. Then I will have to fabricate some sort of panel to hold the switches and the power distribution block. When running wire for lighting, is it better to use stranded wire, or would solid be sufficient? I only ask because I have a pretty decent amount of irrigation wire leftover from my business. It isn't enough to do much with, but would be plenty to run power wires for lights, if appropriate.

Due to the cold, I think another cup of coffee is neccessary before venturing out today.

Y'all have a blessed day.

Good morning all! 38 degrees heading for partly sunny and 53 later. Didn't get a chance to stop in here yesterday, so I've been trying to get caught up on the posts I've missed.

Willie: Glad the surgery went well. Hoping for a quick recovery!

My granddaughter is pretty much over Covid, but now it's confirmed her brother and dad both have it now. I'm worried that my daughter will be next.

Work has been pretty busy the last few days and I'm pretty much beat by the time I get home. I have to work today and then off the next two, followed by working Friday and then having Saturday and Sunday off. Our schedule is goofy, but this time it worked out nice for a change.

Hope you all have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back