Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear and 65°. Well the thunderstorms came last night if they could actually be called storms. Thunder/lightning for about two hours, but only 0.05" of rain. I had to check the nearby Weather Underground station for the total since my gauge doesn't measure in the hundredth's. It just got wet! I just knew that it was going to be a non-event because I put the cover on the grill and other outdoor equipment. It did get up to 92° before the clouds rolled in in early afternoon.
Doctor visit for my wife yesterday went as expected. While they still cannot identify the infection source, we're going ahead with the two-step knee re-replacement this Friday. Step one is removing the current replacement knee, cleaning things out as best as possible, inserting antibiotic "stuff", and inserting some plastic spacers to prevent muscle contraction. Then 6-8 weeks later, he will go back and put a new replacement joint in. He expects her initial hospital stay to be three or four days. While she won't be completely immobile after that, she cannot put much weight on that knee until the titanium joint is inserted later on. He says that the cane should be sufficient, but the walker would be better and safer. I have already dug it out of a back closet. I'll be picking up the household slack in the meantime. She's upset because she won't be able to drink wine while on the Hydrocodone pain killer. After the doctor, we went for a few grocery items and went to a new to us Mexican Cantina for lunch. It was good, fair prices, order at the counter and find a place to sit.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments directed at yesterday's progress post; Patrick, Karl, Christian, Steve J, Garry, Gary, Rick, Troy, Tom O, James, Chad, Hughie, Curt, Sherrel, Tom, Ken.

How about a pair of the large breakfast burritos this morning Flo. A sugar-free A&W root beer would go nicely with them.

OK, it's bad that I have to look at the pictures to remember what I did in the train shed yesterday, but at least I remembered to take some and bring the camera in. LOL! o_O
I did get the first batch of Hydrocal castings for Ramones out of the paint booth with a coat of light brown primer.
IMG_7844.JPG

I then proceeded to attack them with various shades of brown to get started.
IMG_7845.JPG

I ran out of time, so I have a bit more to do next. Then I'll start on the debris on top and the contents within.
While the paint was drying, I unpacked the walls and platforms for this kit to examine them.
IMG_7813.JPG

And the injection-molded plastic parts.
IMG_7814.JPG

Here's a different view of the finished product from their instruction sheets.
IMG_7816.JPG

It's still too early to tackle that stuff right now. Due to the upcoming medical procedure, I am not sure when I will get to any of it, or just how much time I will be able to devote.

Happy Birthday Tom O. I turned 69 in January, I am enjoying it even though 2021 has been a challenging year so far.
Patrick -
Willie: I really like the downtown bar. A question on scenicing, Do you build the model and then place it or do you have a model in mind for a spot before you build it? I'm trying to get some sort of sense of place for my town area.
I call my method "syncopated pandemonium". I had a lot of structures from the previous layout, and while things were down for the train shed build, I built a lot of structures that I had amassed while I still had a working income. I knew that I would find a place for all of them eventually. They all mostly fit my theme and their era is widespread. I bought a few structures just because I liked them. There are some that I planned for, mainly industries, knowing their footprint ahead of time and allowing for it. Many of the "main street" scenes are filled with somewhat generic structures from DPM, Smalltown or Walther's; which all have basically the same or similar depths and can be mixed and matched easily. I have to be more careful now that I am filling in areas. I still have about 25% of the layout that is strictly plywood, and I have about 25 kits left to build and I am having to plan more carefully. I do have a couple of "duds". A well-meant Christmas gift from my son of a wooden coaling tower, just won't work by any stretch of the imagination! The Ramones structure (my next build), from Downtown Deco is to fill a large void in a corner where I wanted an industry with no rail spur; and I have been waiting for a suitable one to come along.
Joe -
BTW, Medicare now requires the same repetitious questions each time I see a doctor.
My doctor's staff knows that I will not fill out that paperwork, so they do it themselves. I do have to make the wellness visits or he won't refill any prescriptions.
Ken - Glad that you can make it over here in the Coffee Shop. Come often as you can see that we talk about lots of stuff, mainly trains though.
Terry - Sorry to read over the last month or so of your DIL and stepson's ordeal. Positive thoughts go out for the entire family to overcome this grief.

Sure are a lot here who experienced the big cities of the Midwest in their youth. Myself, I was born and raised in Brooklyn until I was 7 in 1959. I surprised my grandma at age six when I walked 20 blocks over to her house in 1958. Mom didn't even know that I was gone!

Today is National Coffee Day, according to Flo, it's on the house today. Today is also National VFW Day in honor of VFW's!!!

It's been tough to post today, as over 20 other posts came up while I was composing. I should start earlier like I did yesterday!
Everybody have a great day, stay safe.

I do have to make the wellness visits or he won't refill any prescriptions.
Willie: I suppose my regular visits suffice, because I have not had a wellness visit since I went on Medicare back in 2013. The Ramones build looks challenging. Best wishes to your wife, with her upcoming procedure.

Terry: Condolences on your family's loss.

Garry: Nice photo of the "Q" Consist.

The overhead bridge is complete except for the weathering. I have a mock-up of the terminal''s walls next to the bridge to show how this might look, once complete. Still have to lay out platforms and track to be sure it works. I still have to raise the plywood to match the module on the right, but this will convey the size of the project.
South Chester Terminal Progress 9-29-2021.jpg

PRR E7 A-B-A at East Liberty, PA 02-03-1963 rodney Peterson photo.jpg

East Liberty, PA

Well, the day is progressing. Did the Farmers Market and breakfast out. I had a fabulous griddle cake at Mickies Dairy Bar across the street from where the Badgers play football at Camp Randall in Madison. By far and away the best breakfast food ever IMO. I have eaten all over the world and so glad we found this place after we retired and moved here in 2014. No dinner out tonight as the both of us took home 1/2 our orders.

At 3pm we had been told last week the dining set ordered in April is finally being delivered and set up. Still waiting for the family room stuff ordered in March.

EBEC940A-3D23-4E8D-80A8-E74D75066616.jpeg

792EAD28-51CD-47D2-8A3C-227DC3D98DE3.jpeg

D87D774A-05C5-49E6-9E02-CC9CB95CA3BD.jpeg

Have a great day
TomO

Thanks, I guess I haven’t been to a blue store for few years now. Again welcome aboard.

TomO
OK -- Is a "blue" store Lowes?
7 miles for me when HD is 2 miles --- guess where I go?

Actually - I go to Hanks Hard Ware which is 8 miles -- they have bins of stuff. If I want ONE screw, or whatever, I can get it there.
Do not have to buy a "package" = fabulous!
If it's made - they have it!
1632937348939.png

CHRISTIAN -- I happen to like the "B plan". I believe you have room for two sidings. They may hold only one/two carriages, but I see no reason you can't have them?

Last edited:
Good Morning from Wisconsin with a nice Fall Day. Cool, but sunny.

Puppy sitting again for Riley while Cathy is at the Dentist after having a front tooth pulled yesterday. She is doing well with no pain other than the $3,000 bill we will receive from the three different dental offices.

Riley is sleeping in her crate which she considers her home. We just have to say, "Nap Time" and Riley goes into her crate and waits for a cookie treat.

Looks like tomorrow I can escape to the Train Room. I don't mind doing the steps down, but it's the steps coming up that are the problem. I get tired at the last three steps. Also, I need help with the walker. My goal is to get rid of the walker by October 31st. In the past I couldn't walk and after 30 days of rehab, I could walk with a cane, so I did it once I'll do it again! I just have to work on my balance.

TomO: That was a great photo you posted of that CN locomotive coming at the viewer on the mainline under the signal bridge. Good modeling work! I'm glad that you saved the Milwaukee Road transfer caboose from the paint stripper. I have a MILW and C&NW transfer cabooses which I find very interesting models. In western Milwaukee, near the Union Pacific yard in Butler, I've seen the UP using an old C&NW caboose as a shoving platform during switching runs.

Tom, your photo of the pancakes (griddle cakes) is making me hungry! Mickies' is my kind of diner. We used to stop at a popular diner in Sauk City, Wisconsin for a great lunch when we were on our Gold Wings. I used to order the pork dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Sherrel: My kind of hardware store. No big box stores for me.

Scale Train's website has some interesting model tips and other useful information that many overlook when visiting the site.

My plans for tomorrow is to clean the mainline track using a locomotive pulling a CenterLine car treated with Magic Track. When that's done I'll start breaking in my three new locomotives from Rapido. Then, reset the floor tiles I removed to allow the concrete floor to dry. I have a lot of modeling supplies to put away and locomotives and cars o the work bench that have to go into their storage boxes. That should take care of the afternoon.

I use a stainless steel cart with three shelves for my frequently used modeling supplies and I can move the cart around the layout with ease. I just may purchase a second cart since I have so much material for scenery and model building.

That's about all for now...

Greg

###################

202001149513240295Film2.jpg
A flat car in progress. The deck needs to be painted and the wooden stakes weathered.-Greg

Last edited:
GREG - You be careful with those stairs! Seriously? Riley will go into the crate by herself? That's great.
I think my larger pup is losing her hearing - she even looks the opposite way when I call her to come!
The two smaller ones are like having a couple of two year old kids in the house!

Nice looking flat! When I first glanced at the photo - I thought you were showing a pic of your "tool" cart! LOL

TomO - I like your style! Nothing like a "hole in the wall" great eating establishment. The line in front confirms it!
by the time the line gets to whoever is at the tail end, probably be lunch , not breaky time. I cant fathom those who sit in line for coffee at any of the drivethru places.
17 immediate family & relatives put my dad to rest at his final stop yesterday. He's now with his folks & most of his 8 siblings. Then motored down the hwy for a mile to the restaurant at the golf course. A sister had prepaid for all to have coffee/tea etc & fresh made (that morning) cinnamon buns. each bun about 4 inches around & inch & a half thick.

Thank you Garry,

Your suggestions sound viable, I need some kind of solvent to clean the residue. My only concern is the molded plastic road bed. I'm worried the lacquer thinner may break down the plastic. I have no idea how the plastic would react with acetone.

Thank you for the suggestions and your other encouraging comments since my return. I appreciate it! 😁

When I get some time I'm going to try a vinegar soak again. I'm hoping I did not let it soak long enough. I've grown accustomed to the smell of vinegar in my work shop.
research acetone in any audio forum & you will get a million opinions re acetone & plastic. seems to edpend what the plastic is composed of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back