Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Let's get this place open, there's a line outside, Tom, Karl, me. Terry must be sleeping in today. As usual, watch the wet paint.
I'm awake, just had to find the new place. The birds musta ate the breadcrumb trail!

Good morning gang!

69 and raining here is central Absurdistan, as we deal with the remnants of Ida today. looks like 5-6 inches of rain on already saturated earth. It's a shame we cant build a pipeline to ship all this water to California.

BBL

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Good morning. It's cloudy, intermittently raining, and 71.
Both my stepson and his wife are sick with covid. Yesterday morning, my stepson found her unresponsive. He called an ambulance, they intubated her, and took her to the hospital, where they placed her in ICU. It was especially disquieting, since both of them, while being sick, weren't that "bad", more like a case of flu.
After some tests were performed, they discovered she had a blood sugar of 931, and had really gone into a diabetic coma. Last I heard from him, they had started administering insulin via IV, and her sugar was down into the mid-500s. For anyone not familiar with sugar levels, it generally is supposed to be within 80-120.
My stepson told me he will let us know how she's doing after 9 am today.
In other news, I have a doctor's appointment this morning for my annual physical, and follow-up for my fall two weeks ago.

Patrick

Alien Attitude.
OK, back from viewing what's left of the old place.

I am in trouble as grandma is watching a 2 year old the next couple of days. I mentioned that she was home and the daughter building the house was frazzled and asked if we could take her for the week...I'm in trouble as I popped off does anyone have any grandkids she could watch (she does this to me when I'm off).

Terry: Sorry to hear your family isn't well. Hope they get better soon.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good Morning All. Clear and 77°, a bit warm here. Got the heat advisory thing going again today as it may reach 99°. Only made 96° yesterday. The ten day forecast is a repeat of today all of the way through Friday the 10th. No rain in sight. Looks like I'll be able to use the pool past Labor Day this year. It will begin to cool off too much with the shorter days soon though.
I once again thank everyone for the best wishes regarding my wife's cataract surgery. It got off to a late start from it's scheduled time, and it is unknown how successful it is yet, as her pupil was still dilated before bedtime. We go to the doctor's office for an 8:15 appointment this morning. That means leaving home around 7:40, early for her but not for me.

No time for breakfast today Flo, I'll be back for brunch after the doctor visit.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's progress report on the gas station; Tom O, Christian, Karl, Patrick, Guy, Steve J, Rick, Hughie, Chad, Jaz, Curt, Tom, Gary.

Due to the lateness of the eye surgery yesterday, early afternoon, I didn't get into the train shed with enough time to work on anything, so I just ran trains. And since I am pressed for time this morning, I can't even look through the archives for pictures. I'll return later.

Steve J - Always a good feeling when you run an engine over a newly wired track segment. At least for me.
Hughie - Really nice work on the Blair Line structure.

On a sad personal note for me, I received an update on my cancer-stricken brother. He has chosen to end the chemotherapy phase of treatment early and immediately go into the hospice phase. About six weeks ago, the tumor grew large enough to completely end the use of his right arm, and fourteen nearby adult family members have been rotating feeding duties through the feeding tubes. Sister and two brothers are interviewing hospice services starting yesterday. As far as anyone can tell, all of his affairs are in order and one of my brothers has already been assigned all powers of attorney. His living will states no artificial life support be used. The wait begins. :( Very sad is that he knew that he was having issues over three years ago, but didn't seek medical assistance for the esophageal cancer until this past April when it was too late.

Another new month is here. For me, summer has finally arrived.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good morning. It's cloudy, intermittently raining, and 71.
Both my stepson and his wife are sick with covid. Yesterday morning, my stepson found her unresponsive. He called an ambulance, they intubated her, and took her to the hospital, where they placed her in ICU. It was especially disquieting, since both of them, while being sick, weren't that "bad", more like a case of flu.
After some tests were performed, they discovered she had a blood sugar of 931, and had really gone into a diabetic coma. Last I heard from him, they had started administering insulin via IV, and her sugar was down into the mid-500s. For anyone not familiar with sugar levels, it generally is supposed to be within 80-120.
My stepson told me he will let us know how she's doing after 9 am today.
In other news, I have a doctor's appointment this morning for my annual physical, and follow-up for my fall two weeks ago.
Terry - Very sad to read this post. My prayers and my most positive thoughts go out for you and the family during this difficult time. I hope that your doctor appointment does not bring more bad news.

chessie_system3

Morning fellers. Hope everyone is doing well. Worked with my old P2K GP7 last night. Not the new purchase one but my very first P2K Geep I purchased. Seems it doesn't have slow moving abilities anymore. I have yet to find a fix for it. It binds going through turnouts. Actively hops the frogs as well. Though it doesn't come off the rails it does hop. I'll gauge the wheels tonight when I get home. Now in regards to my new GP7. I have been digging through Google to find an idea of what I need to come up with to install the grab irons. My way clearly didn't work. One post I came across was to ditch the plastic grabs and install wire ones. As Life Like drilled the grab iron holes too large. So I would have to pack it with glue or fill the holes and redrill them. I don't really like the fill and drill idea. I am approaching this as cautiously as possible. This scheme is extremely hard to come by and I would love it if I didn't mess it up too badly. So I suppose I'm packing glue into it. The advice given was to go through the back side to keep the glue from building up on the outside of the shell. I'll have to install at least one wire grab as I lost the one that went flying and haven't been able to track it down. So then it brings to question whether or not I should just do wire grabs all around or just the one? What glue do I use to hold them in? Super glue likes to change the color of plastic when it's used. At least in my experience. Then there's the paint. I stated before the C&O enchantment blue I have is way too dark for this scheme. So I'll have to make a mix to get a lighter color. Which I have already been given an idea on how to do that so I'm not too worried about it. However any feedback from anyone with experience with grab irons do please share. As I'm stuck where I'm at for the moment and would like to get this one on the layout. That's all I have for now. I'm going back to my coffee

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
Terry - Very sad to read this post. My prayers and my most positive thoughts go out for you and the family during this difficult time. I hope that your doctor appointment does not bring more bad news.
Same thoughts from me out here, Terry!
Willie -
I've been a bit tardy as of here lately. I wish Arlene a fast and successful recovery.
I have been up a couple hours already, but just reading. "Thumbing" through 'OAN's' headlines - then I get trapped into reading comments which I should not.
We are not a civil people anymore!

The Spousal Unit came home yesterday around noon and announced that "we" need to make some major financial changes - that "we" need to stop spending as much as we have been while looking at the 2K COAT that she just mail ordered from SAK'S! Lord help me!
More on this later while, FLO, if the bar is open, bring me a couple large Bloody Mary's to start!

TLOC

Hello to the global modelers. What terrible sad news to open September with. So much illness in the group.

Terry, I panic when my glucose levels hit 200, 939 is unreal, I hope her recovery goes smoothly

Willie, I know you knew the decision would eventually come but still so sad, I hope your wife’s appointment is great news

others, I have my own way of talking to the guy upstairs and I will put a good word in for all

It was really cold this morning at 6:30 when I stepped out on the deck and quickly returned inside. 59f degrees then, now it’s 66 and much more comfy. High today Maybe 76.

Have a great day
TomO

unexpected road trip yesterday took us to Greg’s part of Wisconsin, purchased this
65A71A1F-2D2A-498D-BDE2-5822FF77AB0E.jpeg

MilwRoader_Steve

Terry, Willie - - - saddened by these reports and checking in with my boss to lend you and your families His mercy and grace. Sometimes the paperwork chits go astray, but we do what we can. Terry, was she diabetic before this? I have not heard that as a side-effect of COVID but anything is possible with that crazy virus, I suppose.

Didn't share, but last week Thursday morning was interrupted by a phone to call to my CEO wife. Her business manager's husband hung himself in their garage that night - found by youngest son. They had been having trouble as he was drinking heavy and abusive. Two weeks ago, heard that they had planned a romantic renewal dinner out, but when she returned from work, he was already intoxicated so she went to my wife's OR manager's house instead for the evening. Still a horror that a man would walk away from life leaving three children - two still in high school.

Ran trains. Switched together a long train towed by the CP 4-4-1000. That is helping me discover the rough spots. Hitting those with either a hand mini-file or a grinding stone on my Dremel-like tool.

The terminal blocks for my PSX came in, but wifeykins seemd like she needed my time and attention, so did not start that project.

Today should be a quiet day and then Tomorrow - - - Tomorrow the youngest daughter goes to the eye doc for full testing. That means they will be able to tell her exactly how much of her retina has died away. My suspicion is that her peripheral vision will be down to about 30-40 degrees total (normal is 160-180). When, not if, she gets down to 20 degrees peripheral, she can get a classification as legally blind. Anyway, it will be a tough day for her and mom and me as she learns exactly what her vision loss is. But knowledge is power, even if it hurts, knowledge is power. Pray for her, but toss one up for me. She is very important to me, so in the past on these days, I have let myself get uncareful with the scotch bottle. But that solves nothing and in fact, worsens the situation. I'm really trying to take a round turn on that weakness these days, and am off to a good start.

But Friday, we leave for our 3 day get-away. Only later, as said suicide funeral is that day and as CEO, wife feels it best to attend. I am not. Probably should, and would be interested in a professional sense as to how the pastor will preach this. But going to enjoy a beautiful early fall day on the links, instead. Predicted high of 67 that day with just 6 mph wind.

Wow, lots of not-so-good news, to start this month. Let's pray it gets better. "In like a lion ..." ---------Steve J

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
It was really cold this morning at 6:30 when I stepped out on the deck and quickly returned inside. 59f degrees then, now it’s 66 and much more comfy. High today Maybe 76.

unexpected road trip yesterday took us to Greg’s part of Wisconsin, purchased this
TomO -- Very unusual weather here today as well. The high today is only supposed to reach 78 and we have had a small amount of "misty" type rain, of course, not enough to measure so far-but still solid overcast.

The Milwaukee transfer cab recalls my memory to seeing one of those in K.C. in the mid 60's. I remember thinking that it sure was a pretty little thing - that model is too!

DANG, TERRY! Wasn't CHET plagued with that affliction a while back?
Hope that is all it is- get well pronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.