Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy .....

I've been very busy in recent days. Our company left yesterday. I took a lot a pictures as we chased 4014 on Saturday, and I have been working with them. There were long waits in the hot sun in the two locations where we stopped to see 4014. Lots of other cars of people on two lane roads chasing 4014.

First group of pictures is at Thebes, IL. The train crossed the Mississippi River from MO to IL at that location. The bridge has multiple spans with a combined length of about 4000 feet.

As we arrived, a frieight train was crossing the bridge with 3 units. One in front. One in the middle. One in the rear. I had well over 100 cars.

51418013859_ac9500ff72_z.jpg

Next, a barge tow went under the bridge with a huge tow boat pushing 15 large barges. Each barge may be about 200' long and 35' wide.

51417522948_acc8311a6d_z.jpg

About 15 minutes later, 4014 and its train crossed. The massive bridge makes the train appear small.

51418025899_b98b446947_z.jpg

51416520232_26e32166e9_z.jpg

51418029329_84b64a1167_z.jpg

I will post pictures of 4014 in Chester, IL later.

I still have to catch up with your posts.

Well a little good news on the medical front this morning. Returned a little while ago from the wife's eye doctor. No issues even though her eye is still a bit dilated. Doctor is pleased. They took the left lens out of her eyeglasses since it is apparently not needed any more. That's optimism. I guess that she just wears them without that lens?

Terry - I pray that the blood clot can be remedied without surgery.
I echo Tom O, blood sugar of 939 is incredibly high. Was she diabetic to begin with? I grow concerned at anything above 135, my norm is between 110 and 125.
Sherrel -
"we" need to make some major financial changes - that "we" need to stop spending as much as we have been while looking at the 2K COAT that she just mail ordered from SAK'S!
I hear the same thing, despite the fact that between moving investments around and good luck with timing, I have increased the retirement account by over six figures since retirement! And we withdrew from that account for 2 1/2 years before I started SS. She wants something there to pass on to the kids who don't need it at all! I say BS on that, I'm going to start spending some.

Thank you all for the messages of sympathy for my brother. In our family we are celebrating his life, not mourning his demise. The good Lord must occasionally take folks away to make room for more.

Good Morning!

It's raining, 44f with a wind, either of my sons can beat me up, and I've got a million problems; but, I remain the happiest man in the neighborhood. I have hobbies. I have a good wife. I have a home. - Now, all I need is a nice layout; and winning the lottery would be cool because 'having money don't bring happiness' is bullshit.

Since it's wet outside, I'll head into the basement and resume my layout room reno. That project has been in the backseat for the summer, and it would be nice if it were ready for the winter modelling season.

Today's photo might be a re-run. I like bringing rail photos into the shop, though, so here it is. The oldest engine I've seen come into our small town, a GP38-2w. Suppose I was hit with the rail bug a little late.
CN 4791_GP38-2W_07-05-2021.jpg

I'm very sad to hear about sickness and suicide. Keep your heads up, life is whatever you make it.

Have a good one!

Diabetics need to be careful and depending on your doctor and insurance taking reading 4 times a day is not unusual. My wake up is 145-160 and the doctor wants it under 150. My go to bed is 125-140. overall the A1C is 6.5 and going down. Recently reading here I think someone mentioned how bad grapes are for diabetics and I was eating a handful of green or red grapes 4-5 times a day. So, I popped an email off to the Endrocolongist and her answer was it depends. In my case she was unaware I love grapes and since the emails last week I am 1 week grape free.

Why someone who is a diabetic wouldn’t tell family is too bad. I had to tell family and just a couple folks at work in case I got too low and that happens still to me.

TomO

I'm back home, after my employer told me to have the facility bill me, and he would reimburse me.
The good news is, no clots.
The bad news is, lots of swelling from the injury.
More bad news is, there was a shooting at the high school near our house. One person transported to the hospital, shooter still at large.

Starting to read some of your comments.

Terry ..... Sorry to hear all the bad news. Praying for your step son and his wife, and also praying for you with a blood clot in your leg. The school shooting has been reported on Fox News. Sad.

Everybody else..... I have more posts to read.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Next pictures show some of the train.

Generator car. Perhaps, UP shops kitbashed it from a baggage / RPO car.

51416559832_64b1a4bd2d_z.jpg

Next is a dome car.

51418068014_09205835a9_z.jpg

Last car of train with rear observation platform.

51418291150_495b6195f2_z.jpg

Next, is the lead locomotive of a freight train that was following the special train. I accidently deleted a picture showing the second unit which was a KCS locomotive.

51417569133_bb374e390e_z.jpg

These are all the pictures I selected to show of Saturday's trip to see 4014.

Thanks for looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back