Running Bear's September 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning from Wisconsin with a nice Fall Day. Cool, but sunny.

Puppy sitting again for Riley while Cathy is at the Dentist after having a front tooth pulled yesterday. She is doing well with no pain other than the $3,000 bill we will receive from the three different dental offices.

Riley is sleeping in her crate which she considers her home. We just have to say, "Nap Time" and Riley goes into her crate and waits for a cookie treat.

Looks like tomorrow I can escape to the Train Room. I don't mind doing the steps down, but it's the steps coming up that are the problem. I get tired at the last three steps. Also, I need help with the walker. My goal is to get rid of the walker by October 31st. In the past I couldn't walk and after 30 days of rehab, I could walk with a cane, so I did it once I'll do it again! I just have to work on my balance.

TomO: That was a great photo you posted of that CN locomotive coming at the viewer on the mainline under the signal bridge. Good modeling work! I'm glad that you saved the Milwaukee Road transfer caboose from the paint stripper. I have a MILW and C&NW transfer cabooses which I find very interesting models. In western Milwaukee, near the Union Pacific yard in Butler, I've seen the UP using an old C&NW caboose as a shoving platform during switching runs.

Tom, your photo of the pancakes (griddle cakes) is making me hungry! Mickies' is my kind of diner. We used to stop at a popular diner in Sauk City, Wisconsin for a great lunch when we were on our Gold Wings. I used to order the pork dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Sherrel: My kind of hardware store. No big box stores for me.

Scale Train's website has some interesting model tips and other useful information that many overlook when visiting the site.

My plans for tomorrow is to clean the mainline track using a locomotive pulling a CenterLine car treated with Magic Track. When that's done I'll start breaking in my three new locomotives from Rapido. Then, reset the floor tiles I removed to allow the concrete floor to dry. I have a lot of modeling supplies to put away and locomotives and cars o the work bench that have to go into their storage boxes. That should take care of the afternoon.

I use a stainless steel cart with three shelves for my frequently used modeling supplies and I can move the cart around the layout with ease. I just may purchase a second cart since I have so much material for scenery and model building.

That's about all for now...

Greg

###################

View attachment 133204
A flat car in progress. The deck needs to be painted and the wooden stakes weathered.-Greg
Greg,

do you remember the name of the place in Sauk City. We stop at the Vintage on the river and it is great food but a Brewpub not a diner. Lots of old places to eat in Sauk City.

There is one other diner in Wisconsin that Terry and I love but maybe 3 of 4 times we try to stop there, the lines are too big. I never stand in line outside to get into a place to eat. We beat the lines today. Frank’s Diner in Kenosha, Wi. is a top 3 breakfast place for us. Picture is from their website

3211EF97-00AC-448A-9CF7-D6EF07E84F3E.jpeg

Show us you favorite diners! On or off the layout

TomO

do you remember the name of the place in Sauk City. We stop at the Vintage on the river and it is great food but a Brewpub not a diner. Lots of old places to eat in Sauk City.

Tom: It's been many years since we were at this restaurant. If I correctly recall its name it was called the Penguin and a web check shows that the restaurant has closed and some sites say it's open. I remember the bar was in front and we sat in the rear of the restaurant. They had a nice "Hot Plate" of either beef or pork and I would change often, but liked the beef the best.

Nearby on our journey was the up start Culver's with its first restaurant in Sauk City when first started by the Culver family.

We would travel through Sauk City on our Gold Wings on our trips to the Mississippi River and either go to La Cross or cross the river at Prairie Du Chien and go into Iowa across teh bridge. Many times this was a day trip from our home location naer Milwaukee and riding for lunch in Iowa. Beautiful trip up or down the River on the Great River Road. Lots of train watching at the various locks and dams along the river.

Our stops in Sauk City were in the late 1980's and early 1990's. A long time ago when we rode for hours without stopping on our trips. On one trip just Cathy and I started near the Mississippi and rode all the way to Hayward, Wisconsin with one stop for gas in Marshfield, Wisconsin.

Afternoon All,

The shower workers just left and will be back at 8 am. The floor tile is down and the large wall has been tiled. They have a lot of small cuts to do tomorrow. Kathy went out to Dad's today and tomorrow I will and she will stay here.

Mikey- More great scenes.

Gary- Very nice club shots.

Christian- Nice photos. Do you live in the area of your walks or do you drive to the starting point?

Ken- Welcome.

Terry- Deepest Sympathies and condolences to you and your family.

Steve- Nice looking dogs.

TomO- Great looking transfer caboose.

Greg- Nice layout shot.

Joe- That's going to be a heck of a terminal (It's huge). Nice Pennsy photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

1632995524418.png

1632995681534.png

1632995566432.png

1632995639712.png

My favorite is the steak with sunny side eggs and home fries. My wife and grandson love the pastries.
The name is 3 B's Bakery, I call it the pig place because of the huge pig sign on the roof. It's like stepping back in time. Bring cash because they don't accept plastic. They only serve breakfast and lunch, they close early afternoon

Last edited:
Morning all,

Got a day ahead of myself. Got a rain front moving in so it's currently clear, by with the lightning in the distance, you can see it moving in. Supposed to be rainy through Saturday.

Hopefully I can get the winterizer on the lawn between the rains.

BBL

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 69°, Patrick is getting our rain this morning. So far the beginning of the five day rain event that the NWS predicted has yielded less than a tenth of an inch on Tuesday evening, thus maintaining their stellar record of being wrong at least 98% this year so far.
It's time today for the weekly grocery/beer trek into the big city. I might actually go for a haircut while out today, depends on my mood. Later I will replace two mandrels (of three) on the mower deck on the tractor. Hadn't noticed any difference in the cutting, but they have been making quite a racket despite extra grease when I had the welding repair done recently. My neighbor who did the welding, told me that they were going bad and I've had the new ones for about six weeks. Then, ahead of the knee surgery tomorrow, I will get the toilet seat extender out so my wife can clean it before I have to install it for her return. This is a must have thing for older folks with knee surgery.

Western omelet and bacon this morning Flo. The usual OJ to go with it.

Thanks for the many thanks for the likes and comments regarding my progress photos yesterday; Chad, Rick, Karl, Hughie, Sherrel, Christian, Steve J, Patrick, Tom O, Ken, Gary, Tom.

I continued with slow progress out in the train shed yesterday. I painted a few more boxes and started to detail some og the contents of the open top ones, and the ones with stuff stacked on top.
IMG_7847.JPG

Today's colors will include blue and white. Then I can add the provided labels and signs.
While waiting for paint to dry, I trimmed and filed flash off most of the contents of bag's 2 & 3/
IMG_7846.JPG

Most got the light tannish-brown primer, the rst got Gray.
IMG_7849.JPG

IMG_7848.JPG

A few pieces remain that will get white primer when I do bag #4.

Joe - I guess that I get confused as to whether my doctor visits are considered "wellness visits", "physicals", or just "routine visits". I have noted that my online record has the "falls" and "depression" questions answered every time even when they don't ask. About the only real difference is the EKG when it's a physical visit. When I had company provided insurance, there was no co-pay for the annual physical visits!

Not much that I can comment on from yesterday.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all! 66 degrees and climbing here to around 86. Got the day off, so I slept in today. Back to work tomorrow and work 6 days straight to get to a 4 day weekend.
Sitting here on the couch drinking my coffee and someone else is taking up most of the couch, so I'm confined to a small portion. Lots to get done on my one day off, so hoping I can get at least a little of it accomplished. Hope you all have a great day.

Attachments

• 20210930_082459.jpg
    20210930_082459.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 122
Greetings RR folks!
It's a cool 53F/11.6C at this moment - and still dark! Later on we are looking at 91F/32.7C -- the record high this date was 109F/42.7C. BTW --supposed to be sunny and breezy -- most of the time, because we live in a bowl -- it normally does not have a great deal of "breezy".

I have to dog sit with one of the Sister's pups today; they have a couple of white G. shepherds and she lives about 5 miles out in the "wine country". She and BIL are attending his fathers 100th BD party today in Denton, TX - maybe Willie could attend the party? Anyway - they live on 3 acres, fenced, but do not have a dog door, so I will go out three times today to let their pups out and I will take mine with me to let them all run around for awhile. Later on this afternoon they have a "dog-sitter coming in for the several days they will be away.

OK. Pups are clamoring for their morning treat -- BBL ..

Howdy ...

Mikey .... The logging operations in your photos looks very good.

Willie .. You ar doing a great job with painting all of those details.

Louis .... You are making me hungry with your bakery picture. .

OBTC 1909 .... Feel free to tell us about your pal seeing on the sofa. Appears to be a real couch potato. (If you want your name to appear at the bottom of each post automatically, you can do that in your settings.

Diners: ..... My diner is placed on an upper level above tracks leading into Union Station . I made it from a City Classics kit on the dining room table next to the window in the day time. It was during the 9 days we were without power following the Kentucky Ice storm a few years ago.

36766401235_b0874402f8_b.jpg

Also in the picture is Happy Hollow Club which is a sleeper-lounge car I built. I weathered it to make it appear to be at the end of its economic life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back