Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherrel. The 12’ goes along the wall then the 16’ goes out I’ll get some pics of the kick out when I get done dismantling the HO layout

Wille. Nice car Blue Box was always my

Chet. Thanks for the complement those cars are nice just something about building your own stuff is satisfying. Your pics are also very convincing

Joe. Nice pics of the Reading. I like that R190 International in the background go figure right

Karl. Nice pics of the Alcos one of my favorites

Tom. That pic looks so real thanks for sharing

Curt. Thanks for the complement you are so right I can see when it was built but if my Physical condition was different I would still be in HO I think but I’m thankful I can still Model Railroad

If I miss some one sorry. Thanks to everyone for the comments and likes. I’ll leave you with a pic from Dough Hill have a good night

CB917189-F026-48FF-8600-FE460D223332.jpeg

Good afternoon ...

TLOC ... CN 9468 looks like it needs strip to the paint shop.

Everybody .... Have a good evening.

no, no, no. That’s the way I want it. My free lance RR is the Wisconsin River Valley and Terminal RR. It operates in my world on the CN Valley Subdivision in Central a Wisconsin. The CN has sold the Valley Sub to my holding company that then purchased the CN9468 to haul trains from CN yards in St. Point, Wi to HQ in Wausau for the WRVT. So the first loco couldn’t look too good. The 2-gp38-2 and another GP40-2 will be in WRVT livery, if they ever get here. 4 months back ordered.

TomO

70152411-9C1C-4D79-99C7-DDB70F0635E0.jpeg

Boris .... Your Reading RR pictures are interesting.

Garry: The Reading Company is a very interesting property, dating from Coal Baron Days through it' inclusion in Conrail. I could sit on my front porch, and watch them switch cars a couple blocks away. Mostly Baldwin switchers. Believe they get the credit for developing my interest in railroads and my future career path.

JOE -- On your Pottstown photo - I see my "Reading" MARX cab on the tail end there?

Sherrel: Sure does appear that way. Speaking of Marx Cabs, I had a similar one, painted in NYC "Pacemaker" colors to match the NYC box car. Set also contained a 4-6-2 Steamer that required 42" curves, and three additional tin plated cars. Unfortunately, stuff is long gone.

Just noticed that former MLB Pitcher Tom Seaver, of Miracle Mets Fame, passed away today at age 75. I know I'm disgusted with contemporary sports, but memories of the 1969 World Series, when Seaver and Da Mets embarrassed my Baltimore Orioles takes me back to a better time.

[Yes, there was a lot of turmoil back then too, but Baseball and other sports kept their opinions to themselves, and provided an escape from the harsh realities of the times].

Louis: Nice shot of the Cat in Motion!

Belt Line Junction (RDG) 9-22-1979 Photo Randy Shafer.jpg

Belt Line Jct, in Reading, PA, on the former Reading on 9-22-1979. Randy Shafer Photo.

B&O Iron Horse Days 8-15-1964.jpg

B&O Iron Horse Days 8-15-1964. Borrowed Reading Suburban coaches fill out consist of Passenger Excursion departing the (former) B&O Station at 24th & Chestnut, in Philadelphia. for Washington DC. Star of the show, was RDG T-1 4-8-4 #2100.

Good morning Shop Dwellers! 72*F and sunny, but the ground is still sopping wet from last night's rain. Workday starts in less than 5 minutes so I won't have time to view the latest posts and pics of the previous day, will try to do that later. Take care!

Morning all,

So far a quieter morning (he says knocking on all the wood he can find!).
Time for coffee and a double helping of corned beef hash.

Setting back up the final server that I lost when the DR (Disaster Recovery) site crashed. Considering there were only 2 above ground data centers when I started and I instituted a 3rd in the basement of one of the fire stations (The DR site), I have a least 3 copies of every server with an at worst 24 hour data loss, depending on what gets hit and where.

Foggy and 69 this morning, supposed to be sunny and 90* today before a cold front drops us down a bit. At least it will drop the humidity and the weekend (in the 90's) should feel cooler. Highs next week should drop us into the upper 60's for highs, but a week out is a stretch.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 70°, at least it's not raining here. It is about 5 miles south but it's going away to the east. We're not getting much warmer than upper 80's for a few days, so it looks like I will have to shut down the pool...water temperature only made it to 80° yesterday. Some years we can use it until October, but it doesn't look like this is going to be one of them.
Weekly grocery/beer trek to the big city today, my social event of the week!

Whole kitchen omelet this morning Flo. That will keep Mel hopping!

Thanks guys for the likes, loves and comments on the lowly boxcar yesterday; Sherrel, Chad, Justin, Phil, Troy, Patrick, Alan, Tom O, Chet, Louis, Karl, Curt, Lee, Garry, Tom.

While I did make it out to the train shed yesterday, I didn't do any modeling, just wasn't in the mood. I ran trains for a while and repaired another car that was on the RIP track. Nothing major, just replacing a stirrup that had broken off. No progress pictures to post.
But I thought that I would take a few newer pictures of some residences around the layout. My little plastic people need someplace to live! These are all from the town of Vernon, named after my late FIL.
First up is a Walther's kit, don't remember the name but it is Aunt **** or something like that.
09-03-20 001.JPG

Next door is a pair of laser-cut structures and a scratchbuilt garage.
09-03-20 002.JPG

09-03-20 004.JPG

Around the corner is another plastic kit, manufacturer not remembered, with a scratchbuilt swing set.
09-03-20 005.001.JPG

Troy - I was never able to use computer programs to work with my layout design. I always found that sketching it roughly and then playing with track on the benchwork worked best for me. I have a whole series of cardboard templates for laying out curve radii.
Patrick - Sure is sweet to have the bills paid early, isn't it? I wasn't able to do it until all three of my kids graduated from college, one from graduate school as well.
Sherrel - Give my congratulations to Kate on her progress. Arlene is doing well right now. She's trying to wean herself off the narcotic pain pills so she can have a glass or two of wine.

Everybody have a wonderful day today.

No pics of progress because it's still a mess and covered with tool and detritus, but the benchwork top is coming along.

I need to cut a 2x4' OSB sheet into two parts to finish off the left and back legs. The right section needs 1.5 more sheets of 2x4 1/2 inch OSB.

Got another wooden yardstick, cut it down, and drilled appropriate holes to make a turn radius compass of up to 23" radius. Early one was cut to 17" radius to deal with hitting the basement walls.

Off to get my ears lowered today. Will pick up the OSB on the way to/from

Howdy .

Today, I will share some of my birthday cake with each of you. It is my day.

Boris ..... Similar to you I could see trains from my house when I was a kid. I grew up next to CB&Q west of Chicago. Lots of trains on a triple track mainline.

Willie .... Your houses with rural mailboxes are very nice.

Everybody ..... Have a good day.

Good Morning gang.

Flo. Raisin Toast and Coffee

Wille. Your pics look good sometimes you just have to run trains and that’s all

Patrick. Hope you get things lined out

Joe. Nice pics

Last night I decided to Paint and decal a old Weaver Hopper car I think it’s a Weaver anyway took my time on this one put a light coat of clear and left it to dry today. Hope everyone has a good day I’ll check in later

2B6E6079-7C5E-4D18-AECE-5BD9FD8C5D90.jpeg
8795B9E4-E4F4-4EAD-BE88-4F8F8C3E7E96.jpeg
B1BE626F-7D59-457E-A994-D01BF86EE4D2.jpeg

So far so good on the servers today....Hopefully not leading up to me working this weekend.

As far as the bills go, It is nice to finally get that way. The kids have been out of school for a while, and yes, I wasn't able to get caught up until the pandemic with the reduced hours, causing me to partial unemployment and the extra $600 each week and then getting the $2400 (between the wife and I) money. We also quit eating takeout as much since the whole pandemic started. We're still in good stead to pay the taxes that didn't get withheld on the unemployment money. Hopefully we don't get something unexpected to get this train derailed.

So here they are. Not too bad on the 2-10-2 considering it started as a box-o-parts. It does run, at least on my little test track. I'll test it tonight at the club and we'll see. No window glazing or lenses yet. I have to decide how much weathering to do first. The little 2-8-0 I did for my son. His first brass model. Also a teaching tool for him. It's together for photos, but still needs a decoder.

2-10-20 3840.JPG

2-8-0 1955.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back