Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy ...

Sherrel, Boris, Karl, Patrick, Phil, Louis, Troy Photo, Curt, Willie, and anyone I missed:. ..... Thanks for the birthday wishes. Much appreciated.

Everybody : .... There is plenty of cake and ice cream remaining for those who want some.

Louis : .... Great photo of the Twin City Zephyr with E5's. I rode the TCZ when I was young.

Cheers !

Last edited:
JOE - Awesome very nice photo of the Penn E-7s When clean that color was hard to beat!
Don't be remiss - thanks for the HAPPY! This morning I put my arms around her and gave her a big hug! I HAVE NOT been able to do that in many years! I just hope that she doesn't get so pretty that she "dumps" me?

I noticed that R190 in the Reading photo too! I been looking for one to complete my 'Berry Petroleum' tanker - Looks like I am going to have to get a CMW and ditch the box - need the tandem rear truck.

Sherrel do you have any pics of your tanker

Man you guys got busy today.

Happy Birthday Garry! Enjoy what’s left of it

Sherrel. Thanks for the complement glad your enjoying these builds. I just have 4 Weaver Hoppers counting this one

Joe. Nice pics

Alan. Those turned out nice you did a great job I never had luck with Steam in HO

Louis. Nice pics as well

Curt. Track work is looking nice and thanks for the complement

And to all I missed thanks for the likes on the compliments have a good evening I’ll leave you with some pics of a old AHM O scale Flat car I converted into a Piggyback Flat.The decals I used for this build was Microscale HO. Take care

A041358D-DE5F-4A5B-BFDF-A9E5B8DA6B7A.jpeg
8E444003-40A0-46F9-A2D0-FEE889E72FAC.jpeg
5DAFAE5D-D516-4041-8203-7C3FEABA2066.jpeg
27752F4A-515D-4FFD-8D47-EA7B58F57F3D.jpeg
9E395C61-2810-44CE-831A-6D315CC8DA69.jpeg
0E398E68-ECA8-4FBA-91C2-F5E13B2783C9.jpeg
854363A0-83D0-4BE2-944F-FD214A5FF1C4.jpeg
1724D0E3-40E3-4D2E-8E2C-F35345795F46.jpeg
C43F9147-7E38-4FA2-90EA-FF6E9C6343DA.jpeg

<flings door open, a broad grin on my face> Flo! A Sasparilla for everyone!

And... a design conundrum solved on my layout! :cool:

You see... I really, really, really wanted to model part of the Santa Monica Pleasure Pier on my layout. But I didn't want to model Southern California. (Sorry to you Californians, four years in your state was enough. I like GREEN and Trees!). While I was out in La La Land, I served as a History Docent, giving walking tours of the Santa Monica Pier. I know much about Charles I. D. Looff, father of the pleasure Pier there. You see, Santa Monica's pier is actually two piers joined at the hip. Looff built the second, right next to the first, and ran the amusements, including the Carousel and others.

You might remember the pier from Forrest Gump. When Forrest goes running across the country, he ran all the way to the ocean on the first leg. Yep. The pier where he turned around and ran the other way, is the Santa Monica Pier.

As you might have guessed from my profile pic, I want to model the Great Northern Route. I was looking around the great lakes, but they really didn't do much in the way of pleasure piers.

OK, FINE! I'll look at the other end of the route. Seattle.

Oh... Seattle actually had a pleasure pier for less than a decade? The Luna Pier? Wow... Oh! Built by Charles I. D. Looff, 😱 a few years before he built the Santa Monica one.

So, freelancing the layout, but inspired by real places... we'll just play a little What If... and let the Luna pier live on til the 1950s... and it will look a lot like the SaMo pier in homage to my time there.

I'm happy. :cool:
If it's any consolation, from my view from Australia's eastern seaboard, I wouldn't know the difference, even with my "line of sight" view. (Hawaii might upset that though).

Hmmmm .... Looks like I'm first again... or not...Toot musta just went to bed or got up really early if he's in Australia

Toot has the international date line advantage. Flo and Mel are probably dizzy from serving Toot's today in the rest of the world's tomorrow. FLO - Wakey Wakey. Yes, I'll put the coffee on. Go wake Mel and get the griddle on. Bunch of hungry railroaders about to descend upon you.

On a fun note, Toot, two summers ago I had the pleasure of meeting about four hundred of your countrymen and women (and some Brits, and some tourists from Singapore) when a bus full of tourists stopped at the Santa Monica Pier every week for a visit. I gave them a tour and told them where the best spots to get selfies on the pier were.

Layout Update:
Got 90%+ of the benchtop cut and almost installed. Two sections need another brace installed, and they go on before the final big piece. After that, I only have three smallish triangles to cut as I transition the hard corners to soft ones. Hope to do that tonight. Buuuuuuut... Wife may make me clean instead of work.

Daughter is FINALLY bringing the boyfriend of the past 1.5 years up to meet us. Hoping this one is a keeper. ;)

Here's a pic of me having breakfast on the Pier... I suspect I need to find an N Scale figure that looks like me gnoshing on sweets to put on the pier on my layout
IMG_6701.JPG

Morning all,

Time for coffee and a western omelet with extra bacon and whole wheat toast. Thanks Francine.

Mowed the front yard last night after I got home. It had been almost 2 weeks since I mowed it. Still have the back yard to do, but that gets done with the lawn tractor, so not long. I just got a bit warm last night. It will take about 40 minutes to do, including cleaning up the dog stuff before I mow.

Hopefully I get the whole weekend off (3 days!!) as I have to keep emergency services running. They'll call if they need me. I also hope for some train time. I've gotta work through the building yet and I want to run some trains. I've still to figure out how the town is being laid out and what I want where. Good thing I'm not a city planner!

Good morning gang!
Troy, that looks delish, Flo, can I get what he's having?
61° and sunny, thank goodness it's Friday! Looking forward to a 3 day weekend, before 2 weeks of crazy duty as my work partner spends 2 weeks camping at the beach!
Found an online video of my old part time job, I miss that stuff!

Toot has the international date line advantage. Flo and Mel are probably dizzy from serving Toot's today in the rest of the world's tomorrow. FLO - Wakey Wakey. Yes, I'll put the coffee on. Go wake Mel and get the griddle on. Bunch of hungry railroaders about to descend upon you.

On a fun note, Toot, two summers ago I had the pleasure of meeting about four hundred of your countrymen and women (and some Brits, and some tourists from Singapore) when a bus full of tourists stopped at the Santa Monica Pier every week for a visit. I gave them a tour and told them where the best spots to get selfies on the pier were.
Just coming up on 10pm (22:00 hours) Thursday night, so at GMT, it will be Noon Thursday. We're as said GMT +10 hours. Hopefully one day, visitors might get there again.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 71° here in North Central Texas, where I can hear the grass growing from the five inch rainstorm Tuesday. 60% chance of more rain this morning, but right now the radar shows everything over east of here headed for Louisiana. Sunny day yesterday warmed the pool up to 83°, thus extending its potential usefulness this season. Happy to get in.
Another full day yesterday on the SFW estate. Grocery trek went almost without a hitch, but I forgot to write my wife's coffee on the list...I need that list otherwise I don't buy! Fortunately we're going back to town today for her two week progress check with the orthopedic surgeon, so I can get it then. My goodness, the young ladies at the grocery store looked mighty fine yesterday, a real feast for the eyes.;)
While she ain't dancing yet, my wife's recovery from the surgery has been remarkable this time compared to the other knee. I think that a good part of it is the fact that the left knee that was done last year is not dragging her down and can support things better. Once again, she thanks everyone here for the well wishes. :)

That corned beef hash that Patrick had yesterday looked good Flo, I'll take some with some OJ this morning if there's any left.

Thanks once again for the reactions and comments for the layout neighborhood pictures yesterday; Rick, Karl, Sherrel, Lee, Garry, Patrick, Tom O, Joe, Chad, Louis, Phil, Curt, Tom, Dave, Ken.

From the train shed yesterday, I remembered the manufacturer's of some of the homes that I posted. The white/blue one is Walther's Aunt Lucy's House, cats and residents are from Preiser. I painted the people and the cats were pre-painted. Flower pots were scratch-built.
The house next to it is a laser-cut structure from Branchline's Laser-Art series of structures, it's known as Albion House. Folks are from Woodland Scenics and the details came from my detail collection cabinet.
The next gray/white laser-cut structure is from American Model Builders, known as The Drinkwater Place.
The fourth one is another Walther's plastic kit called Lake Forest Cottage. It came with a bunch of detailing stuff that didn't quite fit this scene (beach umbrella etc.), so it will appear somewhere else eventually.
Since I once again didn't do any modeling due to time constraints, I'll continue with a few more homes from the other end of town.
Let's start with a Bar Mills laser-cut kit of Wicked Wanda's. Instead of using it as a bordello as intended, I have re-purposed as a rooming house.
09-03-20 008.JPG

The shed to the right is from Pikestuff, people barely visible on the lower porch were from Preiser and I scratchbuilt the propane tank.
Next door is a mobile home from a now defunct company called NuComp. I have about 8-10 of their trailers scattered about.
09-03-20 009.JPG

Next is 1/2 of a DPM Gold Series kit called Emery Lane.
09-03-20 010.JPG

Here's the family working in their vegetable garden on the side.
09-03-20 011.JPG

Figures are from Woodland Scenics, cornstalks are from Walther's and the rest of the garden was hand-built.
I don't yet know my plans for today regarding modeling, I need to make a couple of trees, a task that I don't always enjoy.

Sherrel - No I haven't given up on the pool yet, just musing.
I just hope that she doesn't get so pretty that she "dumps" me?
Beware of pool boys at MIL's house!
Troy - Your post yesterday caused me to do some research on Charles I. D. Looff. Interesting career he had.
Karl - I'm calling no fair. The VW video is not of a kit that needs assembly! Still pretty neat though.

Well, the long weekend starts for some today, myself included, wait...every day is a weekend for me! Everyone have a great day, an awesome weekend and be safe. Start up the grill or smoker and cook big hunks of red meat and drink plenty of cold beer to wash it down with. Just don't drink too many and let the meat burn!:mad::eek:o_O

Last edited:
Morning all Cool 64 degrees in the Ozark

Flo. I’ll have a Cheese Omelet and some of Willie’s Corn Beef Hash and Raisin Toast

Patrick. I hope you get a 3 day weekend you deserve it and I’ll be mowing grass tomorrow.

Toot. I was wondering how long it would take you to start some trouble what was it less than 16hrs. 😆 You’re going to get me in some serious trouble with Sherrel’s better half

Sherrel. Pay no attention to Toot trying to twist my words I meant Tanker Trailer we all know how he is.

No bench work yesterday. Here’s a few of my Weaver O Scale boxcar’s I’ve collected over the years. I’ll check in later

CEFB1925-D5DE-4040-AC16-17CD90BFDCBC.jpeg
112E45E2-E848-4626-B4B1-9951755181A2.jpeg
D5CDF450-5058-4EC6-9B2B-1F08A774BB96.jpeg
CAD096BA-F25B-4C2D-957C-75128A0A727F.jpeg
27AEC601-ED58-4831-9022-6501CA26E0FC.jpeg

Morning all. Vacation be going by too damn fast, like always! The two steamers made their debut at the club and were well received. They have a few teething problems to be resolved but that's how brass is. A certain amount of tweaking is required. About what you'd expect with something that hasn't turned a wheel in 50 or so years! I had the San Francisco Overland out for a test last night as well. A few coupler issues, not unexpected with passenger cars, and a test of the dome lounge. I promised a video and you shall have one! Here it is:

Got some house stuff to do the next day or so. Got to knock out that "to do" list to get the place ready for winter!

Good morning. Have been busy again. Had my cousin and his wife stop by Wednesday evening to do some shopping in Bozeman on Thursday. Not a lot of choices up in Harlowtown. In the evening we went to town to have dinner with my daughter and grand daughter who was celebrating her 11th birthday.
thumbnail_Resized_20200903_171711.jpg Time flies. Looks just like her mom.

Garry - A belated Happy Birthday 548.gif and an early Happy Anniversary.

Louis - That head on photo of the GG-1 on the bridge is outstanding.

Karl - I've seen a few videos with the R/C HO vehicles. Amazing. Sure like those Western Markland Alcos. Here's one for you

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1599186909693.jpg

Sherrel
- Hope you're not melting out there. Guess they're just wanting to make sure that they can hear the WM locomotive.

Joe
- Good photos as usual. Especially like the RDC. The Conrail Alco ain't bad either. Like those Pennsy E units also.

Willie
- Like those Walthers buildings. Have a few myself. Enjoy looking at your photos.

Alan
- Nice job in the Santa Fe steamers. Good video.

Curt - You are sure forging ahead with the layout. Enjoy watching the progress.

Here are some archive photos. The only actual area that was modeled at the club was Gardiner and the curved station with the Roosevelt arch and some of the businesses. Most is gone, but just to the west of US-89 on the way to Gardiner from Livingston is the Devils Slide.

Devils-Slide-photo-2016-1024x998.jpg

thumbnail_20200801_201422.jpg

Everything is set up for our Friday night bowling league. We did lose a couple of teams because of the local health department not allowing anyone but bowlers on the lanes. There were a few couples that brought their kids but now can't come because they can't get sitters. Tomorrow will probably be my last visit to the club for quite a while. By the time we get home from bowling and into bed on Fridays it is usually after 11 PM. Going to the club Saturday night usually has me getting home late. Can't do 2 late nights in a row. I can remember a long time ago when we would get home a 2 Am and then be at work at 7 Am in the morning...........Something must have happened.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back