Running Bear's September 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning troops! 61 degrees on the way to 90 - the 89 held yesterday.
Don't give up the pool just yet, Willie! We will send you some more HOT later on? September can be a real bear out here at times!

FLO - I;ll have a Western Omelet this morning - that is if there is anything left after Willie's cleanout of the kitchen. Bacon on the side if you can with a coke to drink?

Finally got around to spraying for ants and other crawling insects yesterday! Usually I do it once a year, but it has been three years - needed it to keep those black colored spiders at bay - you know - those with the red dot on them. Fortunately we have only had one day of an ant invasion this year. I swear that this house is built on a giant ant hill - a couple years back they about ran us out - they were even thousands of them marching in a line upstairs where there was nothing to eat or drink? I have found that the Ortho Home Defence at HD does a great job and a hellofalot cheaper than spending $1000 a year for a company to come spray.

Happy birthday to you, GARRY - You made another trip around the Sun! (I don't celebrate mine anymore but can't stop them from coming around)

Lee - Enjoying your building and decaling! I had a bunch of those Weaver 2-bay hoppers.
They are nicely done! I put Athearn trucks on mine.

Ah, my omelet is here - back later!

I like that R190 International in the background go figure right

Lee: There are all kids of neat things in the background of the Reading Photos. Like classic cars, International R190s etc. ;) Hopper looks real good.

Boris ..... Similar to you I could see trains from my house when I was a kid. I grew up next to CB&Q west of Chicago. Lots of trains on a triple track mainline.

Garry: Happy Birthday, and many more ;)

Nice memories of watching trains from the porch. The view of the Reading also allowed me to observe a PRR Branch, and an industrial railroad.
Out of sight, but two blocks to the North was the PRR Main lie (NEC), and two industrial sidings, plus the Railway Express freight house. Six blocks further North, was the B&O Main, (Royal Blue Line). So I didn't have to do much to railfan....back before I knew what a railfan was ;)

Enjoy your day!

Alan: Nice Brass Steam...

Willie: Nice to see your up-scale neighborhood displayed. ;) Tell Arlene the wine is a better pain killer than Oxi...and it tastes better. Glad she is doing so well.

Sherrel: I was remiss in not asking about Kate. Happy she is doing so well.

I still cannot get into baseball this year, tried to watch the Pirates last night. Cardboard cutout audience in the stands, and fake crowd noise, just doesn't cut it. I watched the stream for about five minutes. Hockey isn't any better, and that's radio only, except for weekends.:confused:

PRR EP20 A-B-A at Race Street in 1954.jpg

Matched set of E7s coupled to a draft of mail cars outside the Mail House at Race Street in 1954.

E33s heading for the Pit @ Orangevile 1970s..jpg

E33s heading for the Motor Pit at Orangeville, early in the Conrail era.

Sherrel: I was remiss in not asking about Kate. Happy she is doing so well.

JOE - Awesome very nice photo of the Penn E-7s When clean that color was hard to beat!
Don't be remiss - thanks for the HAPPY! This morning I put my arms around her and gave her a big hug! I HAVE NOT been able to do that in many years! I just hope that she doesn't get so pretty that she "dumps" me?

I noticed that R190 in the Reading photo too! I been looking for one to complete my 'Berry Petroleum' tanker - Looks like I am going to have to get a CMW and ditch the box - need the tandem rear truck.

<flings door open, a broad grin on my face> Flo! A Sasparilla for everyone!

And... a design conundrum solved on my layout! :cool:

You see... I really, really, really wanted to model part of the Santa Monica Pleasure Pier on my layout. But I didn't want to model Southern California. (Sorry to you Californians, four years in your state was enough. I like GREEN and Trees!). While I was out in La La Land, I served as a History Docent, giving walking tours of the Santa Monica Pier. I know much about Charles I. D. Looff, father of the pleasure Pier there. You see, Santa Monica's pier is actually two piers joined at the hip. Looff built the second, right next to the first, and ran the amusements, including the Carousel and others.

You might remember the pier from Forrest Gump. When Forrest goes running across the country, he ran all the way to the ocean on the first leg. Yep. The pier where he turned around and ran the other way, is the Santa Monica Pier.

As you might have guessed from my profile pic, I want to model the Great Northern Route. I was looking around the great lakes, but they really didn't do much in the way of pleasure piers.

OK, FINE! I'll look at the other end of the route. Seattle.

Oh... Seattle actually had a pleasure pier for less than a decade? The Luna Pier? Wow... Oh! Built by Charles I. D. Looff, 😱 a few years before he built the Santa Monica one.

So, freelancing the layout, but inspired by real places... we'll just play a little What If... and let the Luna pier live on til the 1950s... and it will look a lot like the SaMo pier in homage to my time there.

I'm happy. :cool:

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores then put in 4 tracks in the engine servicing area. Going from track #1 on the far right to track #4 on the far right (excluding the main line).

#1- Where hoppers will be filled from the ash tower. This may also extend to the TT (haven't decided yet). It depends on angles.
#2- Ash dump track. May go to TT.
#3- Goes to diesel servicing platform.
#4- goes to diesel servicing platform.

Taking track #1 to the background the first RH T/O will go to the Coaling Tower, Water Tower and Sand House. This may go to the TT also. The next RH T/O goes to the Coaling Tower coal dump and will be a stub end track.

Tomorrows plan is to power the tracks and start testing.

Troy- Nice surprise. Don't you love it when a plan comes together?

Joe- Nice photos.

Sherrel- Yes, Elmers on bare wood. I don't use it on cork roadbed. These are the 2 things I use:

20200903_101917.jpg

Lee- Nice layout shot and decaling.

Willie- Very nice looking houses.

Alan- Nice job on the locos.

Garry- Happy Birthday.

20200903_151941.jpg

20200903_151954.jpg

20200903_152012.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Karl - Pretty neat. Did you read the following:
" Please note: This kit does not come with an instruction manual. It contains seriously small parts and is aimed at the more experienced and confident micro enthusiast. "
Willie, I'm not skeeered. I started at the age of 13 riveting Mantua valve gear, and recently re-sprung the suspension in a brass 2-8-0. It goes together a lot like a brass loco, mixed with a modern day automobile . Heck, I'm around cars all day! I got this!

Of course, I could Americanize this ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back