Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Day, Gentlemen and those who are bragging on their truck driving skills!
58 degrees now and looking for 83 later with clear, sunny, and calm.

I had the pleasure of driving a LODESTAR while working for an oil company in Southern Arkansas. I made trips to Chicago, Calgary, New Orleans, Houston, and D.C.
Here is a photo of one for your enjoyment!

Last edited:
Good Morning All!
37F @ 84% with fog. Supposed to get to 60F+ late afternoon.

Gawd, all the truck talking has brought back memories. For those of you that wonder .. most if not all of those manual transmissions in the big trucks did not have any syncro's and you would match the RPM to the gear speed to get them to 'shift'. Ground speed is also taken into account as if you are going down hill heavy, the thing would speed up, or up hill slow down faster. Up hill heavy was usually get it into the gear needed to get to the top and stick with that as if you missed the next gear, you were either stopping on the hill or trying for yet another gear. Case in point; going up Grapevine with 40K in the box you *might* make 15Mph. Going down Grapevine was pretty much the same, get at 25Mph or so at the top, then use the engine retarder to speed up/slow down as necessary. Ifn I remember, you had about plus or minus 7Mph with the retarder. The down hill part was always a show about to happen as some of those drivers were just in a hurry and would be going to fast for retarder control then would ride the brakes. Not a good position to be in. Many fires from over heated brakes. Slip shifting when coming to a stop or downhill is a case of upping the RPM to a 'sweet spot' where the planets would align and you could down shift. I am pretty sure you all have seen or heard that when traveling around big trucks. Music to the ears.

My first big ride. Detroit diesel, 10 speed and you could barely get between the seats to get to the bunk.

PartyTruck.jpg

Later

DAVID ... How is the foot/ankle doing today?

PATRICK... I have some Oak door jambs -- want me to make you one?

I spent some time yesterday cutting down legs on some "bar stools" for a friend.
I made a jig in order to make sure that they were all cut to the same length - plus the correct angle.
The Spousal Unit decided that I could make her another project! I should have waited until she left the house as she heard the saw running.

WILLIE will fill that wagon yard up - no problem!

PATRICK... I have some Oak door jambs -- want me to make you one?

I spent some time yesterday cutting down legs on some "bar stools" for a friend.
I made a jig in order to make sure that they were all cut to the same length - plus the correct angle.
The Spousal Unit decided that I could make her another project! I should have waited until she left the house as she heard the saw running.

WILLIE will fill that wagon yard up - no problem!
Then what will he do with all his OTHER cars?

Good morning from Autumn in So. Central WIsconsin. It’s a balmy 49f degrees and moving to a high of 54. We have a drizzle that has everything wet. While it won’t be helpful to grow anything except the grass and weeds we do need the rain. I would like to think I cut grass yesterday for the last time this season but looking at the next 10 forecast, we range from a low of 35 overnights to mid 50’s.

Grocery day yesterday as Terry and I did the big trip (apologies to WilliE). The 8 mile round trip had us stopping at the 4 stores we shop at but rarely on the same day. I sat in the car at our Pick & Save as we found out last week they have gone COMPLETELY to self check out. We said we would not go back after last week’s trip but they had the Tide brand and size bottle Terry uses for $3.99 each, max of 5 bottles with digital coupon. 35 minutes after leaving the car Terry returned. She said the digital coupons at self check out needed a code to be entered by the non-existent cashier. The helper was bouncing all over. Seems terribly non customer friendly to me.

Stick shifts! After I received my license on my 16th birthday, dad came home with a Opel Kadet. Drove over to the grade school parking lot and taught me how to use it. 4 on the floor! Had that car from Junior year in high school till Spring of my 4th year in college. Woke up one morning in my apartment about 6AM with Terry shaking me awake. She said something just happened in the parking lot. The garbage pick up truck had smashed into 3 cars, totaling 1 (mine) and heavily damaging a neighbor and Terry’s car. The driver had a heart attack and the truck still had the big plow attachment on it and basically hitting my car first pretty much sliced it in 2. Terry‘s car was a $100 car she purchased and they settled for $200. I got a new 1975 Malibu Classic out of deal. Of the $2800 price tag I remember paying $600 out of pocket, the insurances did the rest. New car as a graduating college student with no car payment was a great beginning. I thought it was a fair settlement! Terry‘s last few cars and my last VW Golf in 2012 have had those paddle shifters.

No trains yesterday until around 10PM when EBay let me know the Atlas Center Partition car sold
View attachment 175263View attachment 175264View attachment 175265

I printed the address label, inspected the car with pictures and taped the label to the box. A trip to the post office today is required. This evening we are going to see the musical Aladdin. We have decided that dinner is home this evening. It better be good as we are missing a Badger hockey game for this.

I have one car left on EBay, a Scaletrains Bulkhead flat car
View attachment 175266View attachment 175267
Usually my ST bulkheads sell on the buy it now feature but this one hasn’t

enjoy the day
Great looking car Tom.

While Boris is having plumping problems, I woke up realizing I needed to add some blocking to the kitchen framing because the total length of the new cabinets 177" is an inch short of the last framing 2X4 and that's not good. I also need make sure the Durock to drywall transition happens before the 177" end of cabinet figure.
Swal

Kitchen_09_12_23_02.jpg
Cabinet_Plan_01.jpg

While Boris is having plumping problems, I woke up realizing I needed to add some blocking to the kitchen framing because the total length of the new cabinets 177" is an inch short of the last framing 2X4 and that's not good. I also need make sure the Durock to drywall transition happens before the 177" end of cabinet figure.
Swal

View attachment 175281View attachment 175282
Looks good but where you have those 28" overhead cabinets above the dishwasher.....

you won't be able to get (3) 28 overhead cabinets. Cabinets are done in 3 inch increments. So you will need (2) 24s and (1) 30 for your total of 84 inches there,

Looks good but where you have those 28" overhead cabinets above the dishwasher.....

you won't be able to get (3) 28 overhead cabinets. Cabinets are done in 3 inch increments. So you will need (2) 24s and (1) 30 for your total of 84 inches there,
James I'm not sure what you're talking about (Cabinets are done in 3 inch increments)? I have a golf friend who designed it all. He builds custom cabinets. I'm just doing the rough tough work. He did the kitchen for the CEO of Blackrock securities so I guess he knows what he's doing but if you want to explain it in more detail go head. I did 25 years of concrete work don't know much about installing cabinets.
Swal

James I'm not sure what you're talking about (Cabinets are done in 3 inch increments)? I have a golf friend who designed it all. He builds custom cabinets. I'm just doing the rough tough work. He did the kitchen for the CEO of Blackrock securities so I guess he knows what he's doing but if you want to explain it in more detail go head. I did 25 years of concrete work don't know much about installing cabinets.
Swal
Being custom cabinets they can be any size. James is correct for standard box cabinets. They come in sizes that are usually multiples of three though each maker may have certains sizes they skip (some may make a 27" and some may not as an example)

Thanks for enquiring, Sherrel.

If I stand or walk for a length of time (more than 25 - 30 minutes I am in severe pain. As the carer for Dawn I am standing or walking a good part of the day. The doctor says it is most probably wear and tear (old age) and will have to live with it. To be certain he says I have to have an x-ray on the ankle.

No more playing any soccer or cricket. :( o_O

I did manage to part build a model of a house for the layout. (I was sitting down 🤣🤣) Hopefully I shall finish it tomorrow.

Being custom cabinets they can be any size. James is correct for standard box cabinets. They come in sizes that are usually multiples of three though each maker may have certains sizes they skip (some may make a 27" and some may not as an example)
I get it now Chad. My golf friend does custom work. He has a reputation for doing phenomenal cabinets for billionaires. I play golf with the guy. I just told him no junk nothing phenomenal.
Swal

Good afternoon to all who visit. Terry had an appointment for a physical this morning. Totally forgot about it even though she pre-registered on Monday. Still made it on time. She has not been well the last week with the crud I’ve had but by noon each day has been fine. The quick Strep test just came back as negative but it will be tomorrow on the long test. (Never heard of that one) Her daily since Sunday morning Covid tests have been negative. But her Covid test at the Clinic came in as positive. That cancelled her physical. She just took another at home test as she feels fine and it’s negative. She has a call in to her Doctor to ask what to believe. She wants to go to see Aladdin the Musical this evening but … so we wait!

I’ve been at the weathering bench this afternoon packaging up some sulfur cars and a few box cars. It’s been a slow October for FB sales and I mentioned on my FB page I had some extra sulfur cars. Sold some and was then asked if I had any of the Aurora Miniature boxcars without graffiti. Since I’ve taken some time away from the bench to work on the layout I had some faded that were not yet graffitied so that worked out. Came to a satisfactory price and now they are packaged and ready. The daughter will pick up the g/d from school and then come over to take them to the Post Office. They are sitting on the front porch for her. I am not going out until the Doctor tells Terry what to do.

We have checked the rules what to do if she has Covid. They are extremely confusing other then wear a mask for a few days!

Afternoon All,

It's been raining all day off/on. It started yesterday and will continue tomorrow. :( Tomorrow I'm packing the car with the wife's craft stuff then heading to the venue to drop it off. After that daughter and grandson are coming over for a movie and pizza. Saturday is the show and Sunday and Monday we are helping daughter and SIL tile a bedroom in their home. All this means is I will be gone until Tuesday.

David- I hope your ankle is OK.

Swal- You're doing great work in the kitchen.

Joe- I hope you were able to get the plumbing fixed easily.

Lee- Nice video.

TomO- Those cars have seen a lot of work. I like it. My doc told me the at home tests are not very accurate.

Willie- Nice looking trucks.

Sherrel- Cool looking plane. Was it really fast?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. It has been quite a while since I have checked in. Summer is pretty well over out here. I haven't had the main computer on for months.but am screwing around with this tablet I just got. I left my laptop down in Bozeman with my son. It had the scanning program in it to diagnose faults. copied the program and will install it into this tablet when I figure it out. Would like to post photos of the new baby buy haven't figured out how to store and download photos.

I took a trip down there a couple of weeks ago to visit my son and daughter in law and their new baby girl. She's a little doll. my daughter and her kids are also doing well. She had a Lexus SUV with a V-8 that was gassing her to the poor house so I donated my ex wife's 2006 Ford Taurus which I had just gone through getting it up to 100%. I would liked to have kept it, but she needed it more than me. I really had no place to meep it anyway.

I have been bouncing all over the place but now that winter is coming on, time to stay close to home. Will maybe bother Todd and see if he's working on his layout yet.

Louis - That moisturizer works on the dog, Thanks again.

Going to have to cut it short, the battery is running low.

LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back