Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck looks good stacks are nice now which out those wheels and you will be set
Wheels are not noticeable when there is a trailer attached. It will be another background vehicle as well.

Since we have been discussing trucks all week, I thought that I would relate an amusing (to me) situation that occurred at work back in the late 70's and again in the late 90's. Our factory was built in the late 50's when 35' and 40' trailers were the norm. Freight loading doors were spaced accordingly and the parking lot was adequate. In the late 70's, the highest level of management made a decision to replace our aging fleet of trailers with the new and improved 45' trailers so they could haul more product on them. The main problem with them not consulting the Transportation Department was that these new trailers were also 102" wide, rather than 96" like the old ones. Transportation could no longer park empty or ready to ship trailers in between the trailers that were in the doors to be loaded. We had to lease space from the folks across the road for a few years until an additional building and a much expanded trailer parking area were built on the property next door that they finally bought.
A similar situation occurred in the late 90's I think was the time frame. Again, without consulting Transportation, management opted to replace the fleet with 48' and 53' trailers. Now there wasn't enough room to spot trailers with a standard tractor and we had to purchase a more maneuverable "yard mule" to move them around. In addition, the OTR drivers could no longer retrieve their trailers from the doors where they were loaded. Sometimes there wasn't even enough room in the parking lot to store all of them where they could be hooked up to, especially in the dark. We did have a standard tractor as well as the mule since we now also had remote plants and the city only let us drive the mule to the gas station a half block away, but we also had to use it to take some loads 15 miles away to the lease yard where our tractor fleet was leased from. At least they didn't charge for the space.

JUST a beautiful locomotive and photo!

1697037909954.png

What happened? The tendons in my ankles tend to flare up on me. They are painful and make it hard to walk. Usually, the problem goes away as quickly as it comes on, a few days at most.
I hope all is well with you. Smart move letting a doctor look at it.

Good morning. Hope u get to feeling better. I get the “can hardly walk” part, as both of my knees are toast.

Thank you for your concern guys.

I broke my ankle about 20 years ago. The doctor says the pains are most probably wear and tear. Just to be on the safe side I have to have an
x-ray on it.

Good morning to all those that appear! Another cool overnight in So. Central WIsconsin where it dipped to 35f degrees right before. Come on sun… The app says the high today will be 65. Nothing like the NWS being wrong again! Terry will check if any of the remaining 200+ annual plantings (maybe 2000 individual flowers) were hit by the killer frost. If so I will be busy outdoors today

Yesterday was a great day. The testing of the DCC system went pretty good but we had some issues. Mainly we could not get the 3 ProtoThrottles to operate on the layout. All the other throttles worked very well with the temporary on loan NCE Pro Cab wireless system. There is a extra $$$10 amp power pack that was used so even though we had 2 boosters ready to go they were never added in. We never came close to taxing the system with 20 diesel locomotives running at once. In conjunction with the WifiTrax module added to the NCE system we were able to use TCS WIFi throttles, plus Apple and Android type cell phones. The 3 TCS throttles though seemed to be enjoyed the best by the operators and we had 2 versions to test out, UWT-50 with a knob to turn and a UWT-100 that is similar but smaller then the NCE power cab throttle. We had a few of NCE’s wireless throttles and the guys who brought those along ended up preferring the TCS throttles. The WiFitrax module addition to the NCE wireless was a great and accomplished what I was hoping for. The grandson came over to watch the BlackHawk hockey game with grandpa and we fired up the layout at the 1st intermission. He went straight to the cell phone…

We did move the 3 ProtoThrottles to my shop and they easily connected to programming/test track I have in there running off a NCE Power Cab. So we missed something on the PT receiver’s set up into the NCE wireless system on the main layout. I will have the NCE system on the layout for another 2 weeks when we will replace it with another system to test. I have a few dozen notes to go through and decipher. I like the new and updated NCE pro cab wireless system but it’s not cheap at $999.00 plus it’s not available yet. Plus we may need $$ boosters, so thats why I am testing 2 more systems before Thanksgiving.

It’s my understanding from everything I have read and talked with the guys that installed the system Monday that when the yards and staging are completed I will most likely need boosters. I also should have more than the 6 circuit breakers I already have. Does anybody need some weathering done?

Enjoy the day

Hey TomO do you guys have a Digital Meter for DCC-DC Volts & Amps hardwired to your setup/layout? Just curious or do you guys just hook up a meter for checks etc.

Something similar to this....

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 66°. With 81° predicted to be the high, there will be no A/C today. It's only been running 2-4 hours a day lately anyway. Forecast here hasn't changed much, warm until the weekend, fair for a few days, warming back up Wednesday and maybe rain Thursday. But still warm.

Yesterday started OK, we took the Accura to the repair shop to have the suspension rebuilt and stopped at Dollar General on the way home. Then I mangled the back of my right hand trying to get the mower deck belt back in place , unsuccessfully. I am not sure why it jumped out of the pulley track, but it did. I'll have to remove the deck to get it off, and I will replace it with a new one since it got mangled as well. Even in my area, Amazon is offering 4 hour delivery once I ascertain which belt I need. So I shredded tree prunings instead. Should have been done this summer, but with triple digits every day, I just wasn't up to it.
The afternoon brought a surprise. The farmer who leases and farms the land south of me, sent a crew out to trim back all of the trees along the road. They were growing out over the easement and much of the road and were scraping the sides of his very expensive new John Deere equipment as they drove by my house on the way up the road to access the field. They were originally going to pile them in the corner of that field to rot, but I told the head guy to deposit them in a somewhat remote part of the yard next to my hayfield. No sense in wasting all of that good Hackberry firewood which I will cut up and use in the winter of '24-'25. They were cutting down whole trees with diameters up to 10". They did leave enough trees to still intercept the dust from when they work that field, although they normally take wind direction in consideration when stirring up the soil or spraying fertilizer or herbicide. My initial guesstimate is that it will be enough for more than one normal season, thus saving my woodlot for a year. Being Hackberry trees, new growth will spring up from the remaining stumps and fill in as well. BTW, Hackberry wood has more BTU's per cord than the best Oak does.

On tap for today is garden clean up, more brush shredding and other outdoor tasks that were delayed by the summer heat. I'll probably have to make time for picking up the car as well. But that won't take more than 45 minutes. Gee, I sure miss the pool greatly.

We went to town for dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant last night. Noted on the way that gasoline at the rural country convenience store about 6 miles away, was $3.06/gal. The original plan was to stop there on the return trip and fill up. However when we got to town, the newly opened Quick Trip location was $2.93/gal. Couldn't pass that up. It was jammed pack full, but a quick observation of lane flow got me in to one lane almost immediately.

Several projects going on in the train shed yesterday. I finished the last white glue windows in the red car which I believe is an older generic Mercury. This is the rough start on the final side window.
View attachment 175230
The overlap is trimmed away during the drying process before the glue has a chance to take it's final set.
View attachment 175231
Remember that this will be a background vehicle once I clean it up and add a little more paint.
Meanwhile, I drilled 29 post holes and installed fence posts around the fuel distributor. Haven't cut the fencing material or the horizontal poles yet, but that's coming up.
View attachment 175234
View attachment 175236

In the background of the car pictures, you might have seen the Mack truck that is going through rehab based on some of your suggestions and pictures.
View attachment 175237
View attachment 175238

Chad
- I wasn't really aware of water bottles being in ml, as I don't buy them. I have a leftover one with no label that I fill from our tap.. It's very good soft water.
James - Normally when my locomotives including ST's hit the rails, they don't come off except for maintenance every few years. So I haven't noted that issue. I haven't had any of mine long enough to have required maintenance yet. They all run like they did out of the box.
Terry/Tom O - My Dad was originally an accountant by trade. When he made his will, every "I" was dotted and every "T" was crossed. A separate list contained all of the info on his 33 different retirement/brokerage/savings accounts including passwords and estimated $$$ made just 6 weeks prior. He maintained the list for years and updated it every 60 days or so. He set aside $5K for the wake, and gave instructions for the dividing up of all personal possessions. His artwork was a lottery from oldest to youngest and than reversed until all were disbursed, over 60 pieces. Very organized and no infighting amongst us. He actually reviewed the will with all of us about three weeks prior to his passing so there would be no misunderstandings. Even his liquor stash was divided evenly among the six of us; I came away with 72 bottles. I traded my bourbon and gin to my brothers for their wine since we (me and wife) didn't drink hard spirits. I haven't been a particularly good student, as our will is still disorganized!
David - Best wishes on the ankle.

Everyone have a wonderful hump day.

Willie-

I appreciate the input on your status of your Scale Trains locomotives. I imagine you will be running those locos for a long time before any maintenance will be needed. As mentioned I will be getting the "Big Blow" museum quality edition. I have been tempted to get a GP30 A and B unit set from Scale Trains. I may wait a little longer. I am trying to stay focus on my current task coming up on laying track this fall. I am in the transition of completely clearing my bench top at the moment to lay cork. I will be doing an update video for my YouTube channel which will be uploaded within a few weeks. I have 2 new videos coming very shortly on recent locomotives I acquired as well. Have a good afternoon!

Hey TomO do you guys have a Digital Meter for DCC-DC Volts & Amps hardwired to your setup/layout? Just curious or do you guys just hook up a meter for checks etc.

Something similar to this....

Not hsrdwired.

He will be back on Friday and I will take a picture. I know the case was blue or gray!!!

At the workbench the NCE Power Cab has a built meter in the display. It’s not activated yet

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

One final piece I had to do in the bathrooms...
20231011_122507.jpg

25 year old cabinets look a lot better. Still waiting on the toilet to finish the last bathroom. I still have to finish cleaning this room, but weekend is coming up. Friday is the boy's house and they're going to finish the top of the basement stair, (piece had to be reordered and is in). Then I can finish the trim work. I really like the pin nailer I bought a few years ago. Makes quicker work on getting the trim in place.
Back to the office in the morning. I am ready to get back to it. Still have the master bedroom to get painted. I also wish we had done the master, but we are looking to get the tub shower combo converted to a standalone shower.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 73F and breezy. I had several inside and outside chores today. I did order the wood from NESL today, so when everything comes in, I'll get started on the project. MOH is at VA most the day tomorrow, so the day is mine! I'm thinking fat chance with that.

Lee-Interesting video. If you're talking about making TrucTrain cars I kit bashed 4 of them several years ago

Patrick- I learned to drive a standard clutch in the Navy in vehicles with 3 on the stick.

TomO- Sounds like you had a lot of success with the testing.

Willie- I hope your hand is OK. Nice layout shots. Congrats on the wood windfall.

David- I hope your ankle recovers quickly.

Louis- Nice photo.

20231011_103712.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Totally understand having all things in order before we pass on. Terry literally was put through hell a few years after her dad passed. 3 years of no issues with the 4 other siblings as to the way her dad did the will. Then boom out of nowhere her sister and one brother decided it wasn’t equitable and definitely wanted what her mom, still alive at the time was left. Just a mess that took years to straighten out. Then they tried another tactic and lost that after the MIL passed.
I plan to leave the Kids nothing but Debt, (no squabbling), and bounce the check to the undertaker!

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 73F and breezy. I had several inside and outside chores today. I did order the wood from NESL today, so when everything comes in, I'll get started on the project. MOH is at VA most the day tomorrow, so the day is mine! I'm thinking fat chance with that.

Lee-Interesting video. If you're talking about making TrucTrain cars I kit bashed 4 of them several years ago

Patrick- I learned to drive a standard clutch in the Navy in vehicles with 3 on the stick.

TomO- Sounds like you had a lot of success with the testing.

Willie- I hope your hand is OK. Nice layout shots. Congrats on the wood windfall.

David- I hope your ankle recovers quickly.

Louis- Nice photo.

View attachment 175255

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt we did make great progress and we also had fun! Still no luck though with the ProtoThrottle, maybe tomorrow

While I had to "learn" to drive on an automatic because the state only used automatics for the tests, I quickly learned a stick and drove a stick car most of my life until I got the Audi PHEV. (The wife's car and previous car are automatic but previously she also had a stick and learned on one in Japan). Because it is a PHEV with a electric motor embedded in the 6 speed automatic manual transmission (dual auto clutch system, not a torque converter system) it can't be a stick. I missed driving a stick. Been 7 years since I sold my diesel VW back which was a stick. Even my two Dodge 2500s with Cummins diesel I've had in the past were 6 speed 3 pedal trucks.

I've not driven anything bigger than the Dodge so have no experience with real trucks like you guys are discussing. Especially all the clutchless shifting, etc. But it reminds me of the stories my dad would tell of driving a jeep in the army back in the early 50s and having to synchronize speeds and shift without using the clutch, or something like that. My ear was pretty good in my cars and trucks so I probably could have learned but have never done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back