Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I didn’t have to I was Grandfathered in had to turn in my chauffeurs license for a CDL just had to take the written CDL test Truck driving schools lack the common sence beginning truckers need that I got as a 4th Generation trucker. I once tried to get a job around 20 years ago at or local truck driving school said I was way over qualify because I was an old-school trucker and they did not teach that way like not using the clutch to shift and other old-school techniques. Well now days you don’t have to worry about the clutch or anything else just have all the electronic devices do it for you and the common sense of The American trucker is out the door for good.
I started at company driving school, it was old school teaching and damned be you if the safety instructor saw you not using your clutch properly. Of course over time i "learned" to save my clutch foot from overworking, but overall it was a great teaching they provided and to this day it serves me well. Personally i think if anyone wants to drive any truck, he or she needs to know how to shift...and same goes for high powered sports cars. But if it was up to me the only things with automatic gearboxes would be city busses and garbage trucks-these guys really make incredible amount of stops and there's no reason to blow out your knees before your time.

Good Morning All!
51F @ 81% with slight overcast. Only to 60F+ later today.

Trucking ... again: Clutchless shifting is an art. It takes time to get dem gears to match speeds without watching the Tach and ground speed. I don't think I could do it from the get go right now; would have to go around the block a couple times to get back in the swing of things. Up shifting is no big deal, it is that down shifting where the fun begins. When Maria started school she had an options: automatic only, or ten speed and auto. I don't know about other states, In MT, ID there was a difference of the class A you got. Don't remember but think that 'automatic only' was on the back of the license if that was the case. Since we knew we would be changing companies she did go for the ten speed. That was fun - blonde girl with lack of coordination which took her longer to get to that swing. Back then not having the 'auto only' thingie on your license got you in what ever company's door faster. Also back then those tranny's were 'automated' not a true automatic - you could hear levers and gears clicking and joining. Newer ones shift almost as quiet and fast as your four wheeler. Auto's did have their issues. Depending on how the company had the stuff set up, you could have full automatic of which you could down shift and it would hold that gear where as the other way it would up shift ..again.. when a certain RPM/Ground speed would hit. That would make for interesting stuff going down even a 5% grade heavy. Then enter Ice/Snow - throw all you know out the window and really watch the rpm/ground speed. Few years back we were coming into Casper, WY on I25. Road was bone dry in full sun going up to the top of the last hill before the city. Once going down there was nothing but shade, ice and snow on the road. Ya, ok so 45Mph at the top and started down and immediately we started to side shift. Yykes! Did not even want to down shift as we probably would have swapped ends. You could only stab the brakes and that was not giving enough control to straighten out although it was reducing speed. Did not have a 'Johnson bar' to help with the trailer as the newer trucks could be ordered without them. By the time I got near the bottom of the hill I was about 50 degrees sideways traveling at a guessed 25Mph, then the traffic light decided to turn red; I could see it out the passenger window. That light is gone and an overpass instead. Yykes again. You should have seen all those four wheelers scurry out of the way. I pulled the trailer supply and immediately punched it back down. That was enough trailer brake application to jack the trailer to where the truck was on top again and we got stopped before that light and in the right lane. We went into a truck stop ( I think Flying J ) and said 'thats it for the night'; Maria was pretty white and big eyed. I probably was about the same. A WY stater pulled in after us and came up to the cab. Told us he would buy our lunch!

As to the automatics - found that after 11 hours of driving I was not ( as ) tired with those vs the 10 speed. If 10 speed, all I would do was climb into the bunk and crash. With the auto, I could grab a shower, food and screw around for awhile before hitting the bunk. You don't think that shifting is that hard, but with hills and traffic it does take a toll on the body/mind.

Later!

Did you experience issues as well?

Haven't run it much due to not having a complete mainline yet.

I only have 1 of their ES44ACs, but now you guys have me worried.
Mike,

I have a dozen Intermountain locomotives 6 are ES series. They are great runners. I think over time they have gotten better. I have always taken my time with purchases. I know a lot of guys like to jump on pre-orders but I do to depending on the item but most of the time I wait until the jury or consensus is out. I wouldn't worry to much. The odds are you will like yours and all will be well. As for their rolling stock, that to has been improving as well. As TomO said their wheel sets are awesome and they roll great! Most of my rolling stock I have are cement hoppers and grain cars by Intermountain as they were great prices for good details.

I have a few Scale Train rolling stock and 4 water tenders for my Big Boy and my Northern 844. I have yet to buy a ST locomotive. I am getting the Big Blow museum series this coming January. As for other ST locmotives nothing on my radar. I have a buddy that has 8 of them and they are nice locomotives. The thing about ST locmotives is this....they're fragile to touch. So like one of the dealers I talked to at the ST booth last year. He says once you take out of the box and put on the layout....leave it there. Another words limit yourself to handling them. As the details are like egg shells and they break easy.

that's my input....

Traveling through York yesterday saw this thing, looking like it was just driven of the dealer lot:
IMG_20231009_135947048.jpg
IMG_20231009_135953777.jpg

Mid-day all,

Trim in in the first bathroom and the dishwasher re-installed. Got our flu shots and I've also been busy refinishing and finishing the new trim for the basement bathroom. Also once the toilet is in, the upstairs bathroom is done. Taking a break currently as it it almost lunchtime.

Good Morning All!
51F @ 81% with slight overcast. Only to 60F+ later today.

Trucking ... again: Clutchless shifting is an art. It takes time to get dem gears to match speeds without watching the Tach and ground speed. I don't think I could do it from the get go right now; would have to go around the block a couple times to get back in the swing of things. Up shifting is no big deal, it is that down shifting where the fun begins. When Maria started school she had an options: automatic only, or ten speed and auto. I don't know about other states, In MT, ID there was a difference of the class A you got. Don't remember but think that 'automatic only' was on the back of the license if that was the case. Since we knew we would be changing companies she did go for the ten speed. That was fun - blonde girl with lack of coordination which took her longer to get to that swing. Back then not having the 'auto only' thingie on your license got you in what ever company's door faster. Also back then those tranny's were 'automated' not a true automatic - you could hear levers and gears clicking and joining. Newer ones shift almost as quiet and fast as your four wheeler. Auto's did have their issues. Depending on how the company had the stuff set up, you could have full automatic of which you could down shift and it would hold that gear where as the other way it would up shift ..again.. when a certain RPM/Ground speed would hit. That would make for interesting stuff going down even a 5% grade heavy. Then enter Ice/Snow - throw all you know out the window and really watch the rpm/ground speed. Few years back we were coming into Casper, WY on I25. Road was bone dry in full sun going up to the top of the last hill before the city. Once going down there was nothing but shade, ice and snow on the road. Ya, ok so 45Mph at the top and started down and immediately we started to side shift. Yykes! Did not even want to down shift as we probably would have swapped ends. You could only stab the brakes and that was not giving enough control to straighten out although it was reducing speed. Did not have a 'Johnson bar' to help with the trailer as the newer trucks could be ordered without them. By the time I got near the bottom of the hill I was about 50 degrees sideways traveling at a guessed 25Mph, then the traffic light decided to turn red; I could see it out the passenger window. That light is gone and an overpass instead. Yykes again. You should have seen all those four wheelers scurry out of the way. I pulled the trailer supply and immediately punched it back down. That was enough trailer brake application to jack the trailer to where the truck was on top again and we got stopped before that light and in the right lane. We went into a truck stop ( I think Flying J ) and said 'thats it for the night'; Maria was pretty white and big eyed. I probably was about the same. A WY stater pulled in after us and came up to the cab. Told us he would buy our lunch!

As to the automatics - found that after 11 hours of driving I was not ( as ) tired with those vs the 10 speed. If 10 speed, all I would do was climb into the bunk and crash. With the auto, I could grab a shower, food and screw around for awhile before hitting the bunk. You don't think that shifting is that hard, but with hills and traffic it does take a toll on the body/mind.

Later!
Got my truck licence in one of these, the AEC Militant 6X6 Mk 1 (otherwise known as a knocker) had a straight six engine 226bhp, NO powered steering, wind on handbrake, 5 speed high/low gearbox and a max speed of 33mph.

Developed just after WWII, last ones were retired from the Army in the mid 1990's

1696963961824.png

Afternoon All,

Started out with a heavy-duty cleaning downstairs today. After that I went to the train room to try to figure out what I want to do about the wooden beam crane that covers the 2 tracks that the 2-8-8-2's are on. Not sure what's on tap for tomorrow, but I'll probably order some wood from NESL.

Patrick- Very nice remodel.

Karl- We have the tall toilets also. Not sure the size but I can't put my feet flat on the ground and MOH is shorter than me, but they are easier to get on and off as we age.

Willie- Nice work on the layout. Did you just put a layer of white glue over the existing windshield?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back