Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shut off the TV!? And miss my Westerns, not a chance!

Integrity, truth, justice and the American way still live on in the westerns I like.
Until you take a class called "The History of the West in film" and see they are just as partisan to the time they were made as anything modern...Hollywood never changes.

Got the lawn mowed and the clippings, along with 120 pounds of sand incorporated in the garden spot. Sand came from the 2 60lb sandbags I put in the back of the truck for traction in winter. They fell apart, so into the garden the sand went. The nylon outer bags don't seem to last like they used to. I'll have to get some more in a few weeks.

I don't know how good the stuff will be in spring, but I still have the cotton burr compost to mix in.

Thanks for noticing, and for asking! No it isn’t a Milwaukee Road car. It’s a brass car imported by Coach Yard. The SP didn’t buy any domes. They converted theirs from older Daylight cars. A few of us are begging Rapido to do them, but since only the SP had them I don’t know if that will ever happen. I painted it, decaled it, scratchbuilt an interior for it and swapped out the incorrect and crappy brass trucks for Walthers trucks which are correct for the car. It appeared in Daylight livery, UP livery, silver with the red stripe and briefly in Amtrak livery. I believe the CP got a hold of one, and possibly one went to Mexico.

That's amazing! I would love to see some pictures of it when you have a chance to share if you don't mind!

I recently bought a Milwaukee Super Dome to add to my fleet but won't have it for another week or so. It is in the UP delivery scheme. i will post it when I get it. I just ordered the LED light kits (2 of them on ebay) for it as well and for another passenger car I have.

Here is what it is supposed to look like. I think it is an awesome looking car!

s-l400 (1).jpgsuper dome.jpgsuper dome2.jpgsuper dome3.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpg

That's amazing! I would love to see some pictures of it when you have a chance to share if you don't mind!

I recently bought a Milwaukee Super Dome to add to my fleet but won't have it for another week or so. It is in the UP delivery scheme. i will post it when I get it. I just ordered the LED light kits (2 of them on ebay) for it as well and for another passenger car I have.

Here is what it is supposed to look like. I think it is an awesome looking car!

View attachment 153237
Here you go:
Three quarter dome quarter view.JPG

Three quarter dome side.JPG

😁 The Milwaukee domes were great looking. Mine started out as an unpainted brass car with no interior. It was a bit of a project!

Whiskey is poured. It's 1867, a Canadian blend. So, should that be "whisky"? I can't keep track of who get the extra e in the spirit.

Did burgers on the grill, and submitted my name and bio for a seat on the Historical Miniatures Gaming Society regional (Great Lakes Region) board. There's a vacancy, and I was asked to toss in. We'll see how that goes. Doesn't matter in the least if I get it or not. Either way, I still get to play games and paint minis.

As for westerns. I chatted with the publisher and acquisitions editor of Wolfpack Publishing. I asked what the rules of westerns were.

Simple. Know your guns and horses.
Don't kill the dog
Don't kill the horse

Nobody asked, but I am going to tell you about what I have been doing for the last couple weeks.

About a month ago, I mentioned that I was going to take some excess vehicles to sell at an upcoming local train show. As usual, I found a few other things to take with me, namely some pipe loads for flat cars. In my spare time, I have made some other type loads of of materials I had laying around. I made a few for O scale and some for N scale, but most are for HO scale.
On Monday, I pressure washed the front and back concrete steps at our church. Tuesday, I loafed to drive my wife to two back surgery related appointments. The rest of the week I painted the concrete steps with a 3" brush for 4 to six hours each day, until my knees refused to work each day. Each evening, all I could do was sit on my stool and glue loads together. I think I am finished for awhile.
Yes, I did take pictures.

Attachments

• 20221008_154048.jpg
    20221008_154048.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221008_160002.jpg
    20221008_160002.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 50
Nobody asked, but I am going to tell you about what I have been doing for the last couple weeks.

About a month ago, I mentioned that I was going to take some excess vehicles to sell at an upcoming local train show. As usual, I found a few other things to take with me, namely some pipe loads for flat cars. In my spare time, I have made some other type loads of of materials I had laying around. I made a few for O scale and some for N scale, but most are for HO scale.
On Monday, I pressure washed the front and back concrete steps at our church. Tuesday, I loafed to drive my wife to two back surgery related appointments. The rest of the week I painted the concrete steps with a 3" brush for 4 to six hours each day, until my knees refused to work each day. Each evening, all I could do was sit on my stool and glue loads together. I think I am finished for awhile.
Hey Mikey

What have you been doing recently?

(Consider this a request for all future times too)

Good evening. It's clear and 50.
I spent the day moving furniture, and upgrading the drive in my laptop. For a modern computer, 128gb is an insult. The 256 I installed is arguably not much better, but doubles what it had, and is the largest storage option for this machine. I could have gotten a larger drive, but the GB/dollar meant this was the most cost-effective option. A 512GB drive in this form factor was nearly triple the price. For those in the know, it's an M.2/2230.
The furniture consisted of my computer desk, and layout, and peripherals for both. Now the desk is in the train room, and the computer no longer sits under the thermostat for the a/c and furnace.

it might be more areligious if he said awoman.
Temps down in the 30s this morning here in Virginia.
Made the membership vote yesterday so I'm the newest member of the VP&C MRRC.
Did a bit of trouble shooting their JMRI programmer and MUing locomotives for some of the guys. I guess Digitrax throttles aren't as easily understood as I thought for most folks, especially the newer DT600 throttle.
The grade crossing system arrived yesterday. I didn't realize it was on my front porch till this morning when I went out to walk. I guess I'll be spending the day figuring that system out and installing it.

Last edited:
We had fun on the Osceola and St. Croix Valley train run yesterday! Missed 'Logan' though! I was surprised at how many people were aboard! We rode in a GN "Empire Builder" coach. Once we got my daughter's guide dog settled, I decided against roaming the train, so we stayed put and enjoyed the scenery. Absolutely gorgeous Minnesota fall day!

Cheers all! And Happy Birthdays to my beautiful bride at 58 years young! At 4-1/2 years younger than me, I keep reminding her that no matter how many birthdays come and go for her, she will never be as old as I am!

Steve J

That Greene Bottling Co. load reminds me of Frank Smith!

The grade crossing system arrived yesterday. I didn't realize it was on my front porch till this morning when I went out to walk. I guess I'll be spending the day figuring that system out and installing it.
Ken did you also order crossing gates? I say this because I can't find a Model Railroad store that has Tomar or NJ international crossing gates in stock. I emailed Logic Rail a few days ago about their bell circuit board and will it work with their older green crossing gate boards. I found out it doesn't. So now that I know this, I'm ready to order everything I need from them and order the bell from someone else. I went to the eye doctor yesterday and he said give it another few days before you start moving around under the layout. So by that time my order from Logic Rail will be here and I'll be ready to install it all. I hope they have crossing gates in stock. I need one more set. If you want to wait another 10 days I'll have it all installed by then and you can see what you need to do.
George

We had fun on the Osceola and St. Croix Valley train run yesterday! Missed 'Logan' though! I was surprised at how many people were aboard! We rode in a GN "Empire Builder" coach. Once we got my daughter's guide dog settled, I decided against roaming the train, so we stayed put and enjoyed the scenery. Absolutely gorgeous Minnesota fall day!

Cheers all! And Happy Birthdays to my beautiful bride at 58 years young! At 4-1/2 years younger than me, I keep reminding her that no matter how many birthdays come and go for her, she will never be as old as I am!

Steve J
Happy b-day to the wife

That thing is gorgeous 😍
Thanks for that! :) There is a longer story behind the car. I first painted it for the San Joaquin Daylight, in Daylight livery. A solder joint failed and it had to be fixed. This always seems to happen after painting for some reason. Some repair to the paint was required and during baking this happened:
Dome Lounge.JPG

The swear jar got filled up. I didn't want to do Daylight again and figured based on photos that the yellow & gray scheme would work on multiple trains, so I went with yellow & gray. Dayight isn't hard to paint but the 8 feet of that fine striping gets tedious! Plus I had used all I had.

Next up was the interior. A friend had a similar car, and I borrowed it to measure what he had done for the gross framework. I didn't want to build an interior, then not be able to get the body back on the chassis. I used a floor plan from one of my SP passenger car books. It's close. Here's a shot of interior construction:
IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

The windows were interesting. The long dome section was pretty easy. Clear .005 styrene was sprayed with a 50-50 mix of Tamiya clear blue and clear green. A large piece was used for the long dome. I used note paper and cut a piece that rests on the rails inside the car body and the material naturally hugs the car sides. no adhesive necessary. The side windows are clear, no tint. The six little windows at each end of the dome were fussy cut and fit exercises. Another lesson in patience!

In researching the project, I found out the SP did want to purchase great domes like the Milwaukee had, but it was going to cost 3,000,000 1954 dollars to make the necessary track and clearance modifications. Budd and Pullman were both too busy to do something SP specific on the schedule the SP wanted, so they built their own, converting Taverns, Parlors, and Parlor Obs cars. There were seven domes and three different floor plans. Interesting history!

Good Evening!

Ya'll can tell what the wife and I were doing today by this photo of her standing on the dock.
View attachment 152646

The prey was Tiger trout, which is a fish somehow genetically messed with, and deposited in various lakes for the benefit of sport fishers. Here's a small one being released:
View attachment 152647

Along the way to the lake, I spotted the crane parked on the tracks. Had to stop for a couple of shots, since there was no one around:
View attachment 152648
View attachment 152649

Sorry for the short notes, but I need to load the boat. We're leaving at daybreak for another fishing adventure.
Catch ya later!
Is it waiting for Tim the Toolman Taylor's wife to bring her 55 Chevy Bel Air Nomad along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back