Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Sherrell - thanks for sharing the info that Garry is finally back home!

. . .
IBKen - I'm afraid that as soon as you start talking computer and smart phone lingo, you loose me. WiThrottle; EngineDriver - Wow! My brain goes into freeze. I'm wishing we still had a black rotary phone hanging on the wall. It was so simple.
. . .
Guy - sorry about that, certainly wasn't my intention to confuse anybody; I sometimes let my geekiness get the better of me! I have mixed emotions about the "digital age": it enabled me to earn a decent living over the past 35 years doing something I enjoy, but at the same time, I don't like how modern society has become so totally dependent on it.

Today was my one day of the workweek that I had to be on-site; since I had to spend an extra hour commuting home during rush hour, then unpacking and reconnecting my laptop and fixing myself supper [wife was babysitting the grandson], I was left with no time to do anything train related.

This reminded me of how, during pre-Covid days when I had to commute every day, I was never able to spend any "quality time" in the trainroom and my layout languished. Hopefully on this new 80% work-from-home arrangement, I'll have the time to prevent my layout from degenerating back to its previous condition.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Christian - You are a pretty funny guy - that "rocket photo" is a hoot!
toot.gif
toot.gif
toot.gif

Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 58° here, not expected to get much above 70° today. We had a really stiff wind out of the NW all day yesterday that's forecast to return today and tomorrow. I almost had to dig out a pair of jeans to wear instead of the shorts. Other than church, I don't usually have to wear jeans/slacks from March through October.
Looks like a normal Thursday schedule here on the SFW estate. Staci the nurse, is due around 8:30, I head out on the weekly grocery/beer trek and Nathan the therapist is usually here when I return. Extra stops today on the grocery run to the Post Office, Dollar General, bank for cash to pay a worker coming out Sunday, and a stop at the Vitamin Shop. Other than a 25 mile round trip to get Italian food to go on Monday, it's the only time in the car since last week's trip. Maybe a stop at one of several Taco Bells for a free promotional Breakfast Burrito this morning as well! Next Thursday it's a free "stolen base in World Series" taco from them!

Thanks a bunch for the comments and likes regarding yesterday's Ramone's update; Karl, Guy, Steve J, Troy, Sherrel, Chad, Christian, Patrick, Hughie, Curt, Tom O, Gary, Rick, IB Ken, Jerry.

No breakfast this morning Flo since I'm getting it compliments of Taco Bell today!

Out in the train shed yesterday, I painted the parking lot and the horizon on the backdrop for the Ramone's Storage and Salvage site.
IMG_8017.JPG

I also added a lot more crates and two junk piles around the parking lot to see what it would look like.
IMG_8018.JPG

IMG_8019.JPG
IMG_8020.JPG
IMG_8021.JPG
IMG_8022.JPG

None are attached yet and I will use Woodland Scenics Scenic Accent Glue for that in case I want to move stuff later. The next part of this project will be adding ground cover between the parking area and the track, then a fence. I have additional details/figures/vehicles that I haven't added yet just because I ran out of time. it may be a few more days before I get to it. Now that all of stuff on the loading dock has been placed, I will also be weathering it a bit as well.

Karl - Good to read that Bud is doing well.
Patrick - Take it from someone who was in the window business for 43 years, you made the right choice in replacing the glass only in the vinyl window. Wow! Four months lead time on the new window. Things have obviously changed in the business since I left. We turned all orders for our customers in 5-10 days depending on how far we had to drive to get to them.
Guy -
Willie - Ramones keeps getting better and better with each post. Very fine modeling, I'd say!
Thanks. I have to give some credit to Randy at Downtown Deco for the fine kit to begin with. It's been a "slow-go" due to life in general, but I can definitely see the end.
Sherrel - Thanks for the update on Garry.
I had to censor that shot due to this being a family-friendly forum. Your "Bomb" wasn't much of a bomb by the time it got here!
Hughie - Very nice scene.

As I posted already, today is free Breakfast Burrito Day at Taco Bell. I don't usually eat at any fast food establishments, but I have to pass three of them on today's venture, so why not try one out (or three).
Everybody have a wonderful day. Stay safe

Morning all,

50° and high wind warning\watch in the area today with the wind out of the N\NW at 35mph with gusts exceeding 50mph. We've already had a 47mph gust overnight. It is currently misting with off and on light rain through the morning. With it being as cool and damp as it is, the wind has a cold winter smell to it.

The window I think will help some overly hot\cold the living room area has had. I know when I replaced the sliding patio door, it really helped. Fortunately or no, this is a bump out bay type window. I redid the trim around it about 5 years ago when I repainted the house. Cleaned up some dry rotted cedar trim around the whole house. What I really need to do is replace the siding around the whole house, but I've been replacing as needed. That Masonite type material gets wet and turns to cardboard and then falls off the house.

Well 36 hours into Windows 11 and no issues. There are some cosmetic things I don't like, but overall, so far so good. I had to send the notice to users not to do the optional upgrade if they see it, as many of our software vendors haven't yet authorized their software to work with it. So technically I'm on an "unsupported" machine. All my software and tools work without issue at this time.

I don't know why they sound good again, but a stack of pancakes with bacon sound great! Thanks Francine.

Well howdy there, internet café people. (see the accent mark on café? Mel's now into fine dining. He put plastic table cloths on all the tables!)

It's Troy again

Got a day at home today. I need to get my words written. This chapter should almost write itself. It involves a coffee thief, an intimate dinner on the veranda amongst friends, and large stuffed plush Pomeranian.

After that it's a trip out to the garage and start using the chop saw to cut new support legs for the 3D Printer table. Currently the printers are scattered between a folding 6 ft plastic table, and a section I robbed from the train layout. The former layout section needs to be lowered, and have a shelf added underneath the main top. Once that's redone and in place, I can move the three printers to the back room. (It's become a catch all without decent shelving under it.)

249911700_4510503249016814_5961781231845539821_n.jpg

Already have the inline vent fan selected. I'm currently using one of the micro-mark style folding spray booths as the air inlet for general venting. The fan is pretty weak, hence the need for a bigger fan. Sometime next month after I do the trip to vegas, I'll order and install the new inline fan. Plan is to build a larger spray booth, and I'll add the new fan and pretty up the piping to it.

Here's the vent fan on 'Zon.

PS: In case you weren't aware, you can sign up for Amazon Smile... it's the same amazon store, but if you go the https://smile.amazon.com link, THEN shop, you can nominate a charity to toss a few pennies to every year. My charity rotates between Rupert's Kids and the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (you have to set it manually, change it every year or so). They don't make much... like I said, it's a few pennies per transaction. BUT, every penny helps the charities.

Wife is taking the chariot out to drive her mother to a Dr appointment, then going to work on winterizing mom's house (cover the crawl space vents, bring in the container garden, etc)

Good morning gang!

45° as dawn breaks on a cloudless sky, temps heading to the 60s later. Another monsoon is bearing down on us, should be here tomorrow and Saturday, then clear out for Sunday and Halloween.
Picked up my auction winnings yesterday. 1 box of scenery stuff also yielded 2 Rogers drill bit sets and a Micro Mark drill bit index set , almost 75 bucks of drill bit sets for a $3.00 auction box. Not bad I think! I also scored some decals cheap, some Scalecoat paint, and a box of Testors spray paints (8 cans of dullcoat plus assorted colors) Plus I sold about $200.00 worth of stuff that I didn't want anyhow, so not bad!

Willie, Ramones looks awesome!!

BBL

Morning, all!
It's 32f on the nose. That's freezing in American, if I remember correctly, before some yo-yo's had us change our language in 1978.
I'm going to walk down to the creek at daybreak; should be a skiff of ice on the beaver pond.

Karl - Nice to hear you got a deal at auction. - We have an inbred hillbilly family around here; a rough bunch, that always buys $2.00 job-lots of dishes at auction. I overheard an explanation to a friend of theirs, that it saves them from having to do dishes.

I won't be coming in much over the next days. I have plans to resume work on my layout area. It's about time, me thinks!

Here's a few of the poor photos that I have laying around. I don't discard this type of photo, because they do show something that may be useful. So they generally go into the '2nds' file. - I only show them here today, because I'm out of interesting photos.

A train of freight crossing the McLeod River:
McLeodFreight_09-09-2021.jpg

A high-rail headed home after work:
MowHighRail_10-14-2021.jpg

Another pedestrian crossing shot looking northwest, towards the CN yard in town:
TracksWestWtCrt_10-19-2021.jpg

In that last photo, you can see the foreground is getting dug up. The town is expanding to the east, and they've starting digging to put in sewer lines and such. I suspect we'll be seeing more hotels and liquor/cannabis dope stores in the future; as if there's not enough of those already.

Have a good one, folks!

Morning from the West where we are looking for 89F and clear today! The record for this date is 99F in 2008.
So, Francine is on duty this morning? OK, Francine - please double up that order that Patrick just dropped on MEL!

Say, Patrick, I hope you will let us know how many "doofs" screw up their computers with the updates?

Willie, That's quite a collection of "stuff" around Ramon's!

On the home front - we got close to 1/2 inch from the "Weather Bomb" ... winds were from the SW and carried more of the moisture to the NE from us here.

KARL - I think you did good!

Greetings all!

Rainy Thursday morning here in 'snowta - - but it is rain. We have, I think, two freezes so far this year at my house in the 'burbs - - waaay behind for a typical fall. But some serious freezes forecast for next week including our first dip into the teens F.

Wife leaves this evening for a retreat. She is a "Healing Touch" practitioner. She had thought about trying to go independent and start a business - then COVID hit and she was offered the CEO position. But she keeps up her healing touch work for church, family and a few others. This evening she goes for her Level 5 certification training. After this retreat and the accomplishment of the requisite sessions, she will be fully certified. they finish Sunday afternoon.

So what is Healing Touch? A body energy manipulation technique. Similar to Reiki, she can sense the flow and non-flow of the energy and manipulate it to promote healing and well-being. Usually I fall asleep and get a nice nap from it. Sometimes, I can really tell she is doing something. My prospective SIL was very happy with her healing touch after his surgery.

Anyway, that leaves me on my own for the weekend. Kind of. So train work tonight after she leave. Tomorrow golf, and then pick up eldest daughter. She and I will watch a few 'scary' movies Friday night. Then church work Saturday and Sunday. Oct 31 is big in the Lutheran world, as some of you might know.

I might try to do some adjustment work on my 4-6-2 tonight. If any of you fine folk have suggestions, I would appreciate your input:

Enjoy the day - - - Steve J

Maybe a stop at one of several Taco Bells for a free promotional Breakfast Burrito this morning as well! Next Thursday it's a free "stolen base in World Series" taco from them!

Lucky. My TB app doesn't show breakfast burrito... Though it did have one a week ago.

Also, at least in myTB app, the World Series stolen base taco "reward" is any time from now through 11/3. Maybe they are doing different time validity in different geographical areas, as I did read a news article about it being next week on Thursday.

Good morning all! 49 degrees and very rainy here this morning. Still dealing with this cold. Coughing, headache, etc. Glad I'm off work today.

Willie: Ramones is looking awesome!

If I feel like it, gonna work on finishing up my computer/train/hobby room today. I've been very slowly getting it organized after getting the new floor put in.

Hope you all have a great day!

Ken

Good morning from Phoenix. The house is quiet and enjoyable. I asked before bed last night if there were any more trip surprises coming today or tomorrow, everyone said nope. So we have today in Arizona. I may grab a car or as Troy says a chariot and head up to Cottonwood if I can get ahold of a friend. No one wants to join me.

Trying to catch up on all the comments and reviewing of the pictures. Guy, excellent pictures and I may draw out a people bridge for the paper mill. That picture is a great picture for me to use as a model. Thanks.

Willie, glad the wife is feeling better. Is there a time limit for the care workers to come out to the house? Enjoy your grocery trip…

Ken in Illinois, any word on the interview? I read recently that crazy interview techniques are a way for companies to do interviews for public consumption but many of these companies REALLY don’t want to hire ANYBODY. So they are looking for ways to meet Government PPP guidelines but say they can’t get qualified applicants.

I did see lots of snow in the mountains heading east from Burbank, Ca. yesterday. Hopefully this is the start of a snow season that will help the drought out in the West.

TomO
87B59C9C-9812-4190-ACCB-1AFADCF01156.jpeg

Last edited:
Ken in Illinois, any word on the interview? I read recently that crazy interview techniques are a way for companies to do interviews for public consumption but many of these companies REALLY don’t want to hire ANYBODY. So they are looking for ways to meet Government PPP guidelines but say they can’t get qualified applicants.
Haven't heard anything so far Tom. Honestly, not really expecting anything. It was a very aggravating interview because I was prepared to talk about the actual job and they just asked all these generic questions. I've got the attitude that if it works out, great and if not that's ok too. I'm fortunate in that I don't have to be in a hurry.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back