Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Debit cards are also labeled Visa or MasterCard and can be used like a credit card (in terms of processing). That is swipe/chip and sign. The store pays the same fees as a credit card in this case and not the lower debit fees, which they only get if you use your PIN. And you shouldn't be able to get cash back without a PIN. But purchases are no problem.

Yes, you should end up $0 out of pocket in either case if they get stolen, but if it is a debit, it is your money that is gone until the bank fixes it, which can cause problems. This sort of fraud is not always caught immediately and so the card thief could spend a few hundred out of YOUR account and then your rent check tries to clear the same day, and you no longer have the cash in the account. Sure the bank/CU will most likely make it good, but it is a much bigger hassle then just letting the thief steal the banks money and letting the bank pick up the pieces... (In either case you have a duty to report it to the bank/CU as soon as you notice the fraudulent uses -- I once beat a fraud charge where I was the merchant and someone used a stolen account to buy stuff from me -- the real account owner charged it back -- the bank sent me a few months of the guys account statements as well as his complaint letter, which listed a list of bad charges including mine, and I noticed that the initial fraud was like a month or two before it was done with me and I argued the guy had not reported it on time since he had gotten at least one statement, if not two, that showed fraudulent charges on them and didn't report it -- the bank gave me the money back! ).
In the uk due to Covid you can swipe your normal card upto about 50 pounds no questions asked, so you could hit 600 quite easily :(

Good morning gang.
The monsoon is over now, just waiting for daylight to inspect for damage, if any. Last night driving home the rain and a lot of leaves were going sideways, and 45 mph roads were barely moving 20 mph.

Online train auction ended last night and I sold more than I spent. I pick up my goodies tomorrow!

BBL

Good Morning Model Railroaders' and all from the left coast, we're all wet here..... o_O I mean it's been raining. 👍
A double cup of deer camp and a cinnamon roll, 'wave it please Flo, thanx.
To all on the check fiasco, thanks for the comments, much appreciated! My intent with all of that was to keep my e-foot print as small as possible. A harder & harder task with how everything is electronic nowadays. Not much else going on, here is a pic down on the Klamath Lower Lake, just a bit north of the sunrise pic I posted some days ago. Looking Northeast. My house is on the other side of the hill to the right.
IMG_20211008_141949112_HDR.jpg

BE SAFE, TAKE CARE.....

Morning all,

Not much yet happening this morning. Already got MOST of the stuff I need to do today done.

Getting a bit tired of the "assistant" kid who can't do his own job telling me he wants access to do my job. I'm having a chat with the boss, but I don't think that will go well as they are pals since the kid's been here. Therein lies most of the problem. It was a day yesterday afternoon.

Good Morning All. Clear and 64° here in North Central Texas. Last day for temperatures in the 80's, forecast is for 100% chance of rain overnight tonight, then gradually cooling off to the upper 60's by this time next week. Loads of firewood ready to go including a two day dry supply already inside.
Mowed part of the front yard yesterday, first time mowing in about two weeks! The substitute home care nurse was by yesterday, another nice young lady just as pretty as Staci, the regular.

Thanks for the likes regarding yesterday's bookstore pictures; Karl, Patrick, Troy, OB Ken, Christian, Hughie, Jaz, Guy, Sherrel, IB Ken.

Taylor Ham and a pair of poached eggs this morning Flo. Add a toasted whole wheat English Muffin and a tall OJ to that.

I returned to the Ramone's build out in the train shed yesterday. First I attached all of the loading docks, stairs and the ramp to the foundation. I began adding stuff to the roof, and enhancing the water tank. I also weathered things up there.
IMG_7987.JPG

As you can see, I added the inlet and outlet pipes to the tank.
IMG_7988.JPG

Then I decided that it still wasn't enough and added a water hose.
IMG_8001.JPG

I am not even sure that it will be visible except to taller viewers because of the overall building height and the recessed roof. But I know that it is there!
Since I had the weathering powders out, I used them on the front and right side walls, the other two will be done today.
IMG_7991.JPG

More weathering on the docks after I get all of the crates and other details in place.
IMG_7989.JPG

This photo also shows the final mounting of the fire escape that had to be jury-rigged.
IMG_7990.JPG

IMG_7993.JPG

Looking at this side kinda points out a deficiency with the stairs located where they are. There should be some out front in my opinion. I will correct that next. I will also be adding a bit more weathering to the white part of the walls.

Chad - Yep! WinCo is the only store that I have to use the debit card. I don't necessarily like shopping there to begin with, but it's the only store in town that carries some stuff/brands that my wife insists on getting. It's also the only place nearby that sells dry ice which I have occasion to use.
Guy - I'm not too sure that I would want to risk taking a bear picture at night unless I was inside something!
Greg - You'll find those old graphite sticks as soon as you enter the train room with the new ones.
Curt - Sad to read about the wasted time. Almost nothing bothers me more than wasted time.
Sherrel - That's a great price for gas out there on the left coast. It finally went over $3/gal here in the last week. $3.07 in many places except the country store nearest me which is still $3.04. And I still remember the days when I couldn't even fit $3 worth in my '61 VW.
Kate looks comfortable. No wonder she sometimes sleeps there.
Garry - Continued best wishes on your recovery.
Troy -
And most lawn services showed up to mow the dirt, even when the grass wasn't growing.
Kinda like here when the automatic sprinklers are operating during the rain!

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Greetings all,

Debit card issues - - - you get hooked on the things. I went through a spate of about 18 months wherein mine was compromised four times. I always got the money back in full, but sometimes had to send in paperwork. No biggie. But the biggest problem was the two weeks it took to get the new one. Once, when I was fixing to leave on a trip, they waived the 'expedite' fees for me and I had it in 2 days. You know, if they CAN deliver them in 2 days, why do they charge $45 to do so? Oh, I remember, because they CAN.

Daughter finally got me to sign up for one of those travel point cards. Spend $4K in three months and earn 80,000 point bonus. At a penny a point, not too bad. So, since we had the money in savings anyway, I put the new dishwasher and refrigerator on it after verifying that the deal was legit. That got me my 80K points and I paid it off in full. I have had the card for 6 months and yet to pay any interest. Oh, I know they get their money from the fees they charge. Already over 120K points - which we plan to use for airfares to Greece, which trip will probably be sometime 2022.

Got some train time in last night and did some cleanup on feeder solders and then mounted and installed/wired up the PSX circuit breaker for the yard power district. Was quite pleased with self that first time worked perfectly. Deliberately shorted the track, and the track goes dead but the DIgitrax DCS52 Zephyr stays on. Just as planned.

I also broke out the base plate for the coaling station I plan to put in and verified that, yes, I can install a track behind it over the dump grate curving up from my turntable. That track will in actuality be my program track wired via a DPDT toggle between program and track power. I may start building the Walthers kit this week.

There's more, but we slept in a bit and time to feed the dogs and start the day. Cheers to all - - - - Steve J

Good Morning!
The natural gas bill is gonna start rising now that the temperature is below freezing. That bill generally runs around $40.00 in the summer, and hits $200.00/month in the winter. Today is only 29f, so the thermostat is calling for heat. That so called 'cyclone bomb' on the west coast is affecting us here as well.

Willie - Bears don't want nothing to do with us and will generally avoid us like the plaque. They only want vegetable matter, fruit, and garbage that people leave outside, as it's easy pickings. The only time there is trouble is if a bear gets surprised in tight quarters.
I heard of one fella who had to climb a buildings roof to avoid a bear, but, that's it in 30yrs of living in this house. Bears are something to respect, not to be afraid of.
I enjoy your posting of you're layout work very much. Well done!

Sherrel - Gotta tell ya I had a smile on my face when I saw that wonderful fireplace photo in the warm temperatures of your southern area. I realize you folks are adjusted for a warm climate, but, I'd be headed for the pool if I were there.

I gotta go to work today. It's one of the issues with being a journeyman tradesman, people think they can call for help whenever they're in need. Mostly, I don't say no, because I realize the people might be having problems and need help. I should have told the neighbors I was in politics all my life; then they would have left me alone.

Today's photos had to come out of the archives; and that's getting harder to do, because I can't remember what photos I've already posted. I like leaving a photo for you, but, I don't like leaving the same photo twice.
These are just a couple of railcar photos that I took during a track walk this past summer:
WtCrtCNStaging_06-23-2021 (1).jpg
WtCrtCNStaging_06-23-2021 (2).jpg

And, that's it for today. Have a good one!

Morning Inteernet RR fans!
Looking out I see a clear blue sky and an outside temp of 55 degrees. Only maybe get as high as 63F today - the "bomb" just about totally missed us - DRAT! We are somewhat ahead of rainfall this season, but I surely would not mind a few more inches.

DakotaLove - that is sad about the club. Shouldn't be that way, but I have seen many strange things in the Model world. Lots of primadonnas out there who think that their way is the only way.
However, I have noticed that the primad's are everywhere and leaving nothing untouched!

GARRY - I sincerely pray that things are looking better for you today. Man, I hate waiting in hospitals - I realize that Dr's and Nurses are busy but the time drags so slow.

FLO -Greetings to you! Everyone seems to be on a Taylor Ham kick today -- I'll try a samwich!

Sherrel, San Diego is hopefully a trip on the way home in December. No time this week in Pasadena getting my sister organized. I want to see the trains at Balboa Park. I will note about Oceanside.

I am not sure how much rain I brought from the Midwest but it is more then they have had combined in 4 months. All the folks at the coffee shop were ecstatic over the rain.

TomO
Last time I was at Balboa Park they had some guys playing the organ pavilion there. I proceeded to head over to the

San Diego Model Railroad Museum!

Is that where you are headed? I was last there in 1998.....

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours at the school today. I was thinking a small closet but it's a huge closet where the school stores donated clothing for student use and nothing is organized to the point of garbage bags of clothes on the floor. Think of clothes sizes from Pre-K size to 6th grade. There's probably 10 hours of work left in it. Another factor is access which is through a classroom and that's a pain. Of course book fair set up is Thursday, Friday the school is closed and next week is book fair all week.

After getting home I put down ant bait outside and sprayed weed killer for the last time this year along all the edges. Tomorrow I need to spray bleach on the concrete by the garage and front door.

Guy- Nice photos.

Garry- Praying for you.

Sherrel- I sometimes wonder at all the people and their electric cars if they know where the electricity comes from that charges their car.

Steve- what is MRRC?

Karl- What is FCSME?

Willie- Nice job on Ramones. The rust streaking looks excellent to me.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last time I was at Balboa Park they had some guys playing the organ pavilion there. I proceeded to head over to the

San Diego Model Railroad Museum!

Is that where you are headed? I was last there in 1998.....
Yes James that will be the destination when we head homeward in December. I have always missed it because of time constraints. Well, I am retired and will be making it a special stop.

Tom

Afternoon all,

Well at 1:00 this afternoon, I converted my work computer to Windows 11. After 2 hours with updates and such (I have programs that often need to be reloaded after the big Windows 10 updates), I'm not experiencing any issues that I wasn't expecting. I did post an email letting folks know NOT to upgrade at this time as many of our software vendors haven't approved their applications for the new system. I think the transition between Windows 10 and 11 isn't as severe as the move from Windows 7 to 10.
Had the talk with the boss and nothing done as expected.

More later as I still have to get our antivirus software loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back