Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard Jahn - ‎Anthracite Railroads Historical Society
1572441762681.png

Kevin Grace‎ - BALTIMORE OLD PHOTOS
October 29, 1907 1st black American boxing champion and Baltimorean Joe Gans opened the Goldfield Hotel. He hired a young 19 yr old Eubie Blake to be one of his piano players. The hotel is named after the town in Nevada where he defended in lightweight title in a 42-round match vs Oscar "Battling" Nelson on Sept 3, 1906. The hotel was located on the corner of E. Lexington & Colvin Sts. He opened this hotel with some of his winnings from the fight. He passed away at age 35 on Aug 10, 1910. The building later was turned into a grocery store and boarding house. It was knocked down in Dec 1960 to make way for the downtown post office. (For more info about Joe Gans "like" my Friends of Joe Gans facebook page ). He is also the 1st black man in Baltimore to own a car.
1572442419804.png

1572442439432.png

1572442484374.png

Good morning, y'all! And its another warm, murky, foggy day in paradise :rolleyes:. We won't get the freezing weather until the end of the week.

Willie: That barbed wire fence will be amazing. I definit ely don't have the patience to be that creative.

OK, here's the plan for tomorrow night, Halloween. Get yourself a Bernie Sanders mask, and an Elizabeth Warren mask for your wife. When kids come to your door for trick or treat, take candy from their bags.

Willie: PRICELESS!
;) Actually, though, I sort of like the way "Lizzie" affects the money grubbing bankers, and market manipulators. :rolleyes:. She instills fear in their hearts, because she actually understands the banking business. :eek:

Louis: If Mad Max doesn't develop another stiff neck, the Nats have a shot at winning this.

Last night, I gave up watching the Leafs Caps game, because I tired of the relentless Sports Book commercials, over running the allocated commercial time outs, and switched to the Series on Fox 5, just in time to see Martinez get ejected, followed by a commercial break, advertising Sport Bookmakers....I lost interest, and went to bed.

Boris

Good Morning Everyone....overcast and snow forecast with 2-5 inches or perhaps more tonight and tomorrow. I'll call it "Fat Thursday" with the excess candy the wife purchased that will likely be left over since the Halloween Beggars are likely to stay away tomorrow night due to the snow. If the snow comes, then I'll end up eating a lot of the candy, so I called it "Fat Thursday". We stocked up on Reese's, Bite Size candy which is my favorite. I feel sorry for the little ones that may miss out on their Trick or Treat night. I hope the wife doesn't go across the street to the neighbors who always have a fire in the metal pit and cocktails while handing out candy which leaves me alone to dish out the Goodies. Last year she was gone all night until 10:30 PM.

Anyway, no matter the weather I'll build a fire in the living room fireplace and enjoy a cocktail or two. Monday, we replaced the lamp in the back door light. A project my wife wanted to tackle alone against my better judgment. The lower part of the fixture is attached using two brass thumb screws and starting the second one is tricky while holding the fixture with one hand and starting the screw with the other. One mistake and the screw will drop and end up landing in a bush or the dead leaves below to be gone forever. Guess what...she dropped the good remaining screw and a trip to the hardware store was necessay to find a fine thread replacement screw so we could hang the fixture until I can get to a store that handles the correct thumb screws. A 10 minute job that turned into two hours and the planned model railroading didn't happened that day.

Making up my Walther's order for Friday's trip to Walther's. I have a burning desire to purchase another locomotive, but I don't need another locomotive!!! Three $25 punches remaining on my Walther's Punch Card to receive a $50 credit on a purchase. At Walther's for every $25 you spend, you get one punch on the card and when 20 punches are done ($500) you get the $50 credit or 10% discount depending on how you look at it.. It's easy to fill out a card. You never know what you'll find on the bargain table at Walther's. I missed out on a Walther's Proto Erie Mining locomotive with DCC/sound for $100 which on the test track the loco either had dirty wheels or a bad decoder. I could replace the decoder for under $80 and I really love the Erie paint scheme. I was planning on patching the loco for the CM&N. Once I found PECO flex track at .95 (cents) for 10 pieces of track. I purchased two bundles for $1.90

The visiting RN came yesterday for her twice a week visit and my BP was 78/118. I used to have high BP when I worked and no medications lowered the BP. Now no pressure from work and my BP was great. When working I was on call 24/7 the entire year which included Holidays and vacations. Starting to gain some weight since getting heathy and I love to eat. Diet time for me.

After lunch I'll go down to the train room. The wife is washing the floors and I'm instructed to hide so downstairs I go.

Noting more to report on since there's a lack of modeling here.

Greg

#####################################

1572449366243.png

My favorite Trick or Treater last year.-Greg

Last edited:
Good Morning all. Warm and muggy, but they are predicting a big change in our weather.
Now a Game 7. I bet the sponsors of major league baseball are doing their happy dance.

Well there was a funeral up at Apple Ridge. Mr. McIntosh passed on. His mother-in-law, Mrs. Smith, known to all as Granny was seen being assisted through the gate by Mr. Pippen. Preacher Johnny is rumored to be from the Appleseed clan.

Apple Ridge Cemetery.jpg

Thanks to all who volunteered info on my truck - I'll have to find something else to complain about - lol.
Seriously - Thanks. (any suggestions will help - except 25K plus for even a secondhand one - or slightly used as CA likes to call them.

Going to work on household chores today - I have a ton of them to do. The leaves are blowing horizontal today - currently 15 mph with gusts to 25! We usually only have 1-2 days a year such as this, this year has produced several additional. Up north of us in Riverside all the way to Ventura they must have a billzillion fires going with winds up to 50 mph in places. Currently, there is one threatening the Reagan Library; there are hundreds of horse farms all over where the fire is headed - I feel for those animals!
Well, seems that Houston has another problem as the Astros could not put the Nationals to bed last evening. At first, I was for the Nationals, but after the fans booing the President at the game the other night, I guess that I will have to cheer for the Astros; besides, I have many kin as well as friends and only my daughter in D.C. ..... Go Houston!

Actually I missed a goodly portion of the game last evening (just as well) - I drove the Spousal Unit up to Moreno Valley in order to get her knee MRI done and we did not make it home until after 10 PM. She told me that I did not need to go with her, but I thought otherwise - and I am glad that I did. They were backed up on the machine and we had to wait for a little over an hour after her appointment and she would have been very tired to drive back home - slightly over 1 hour each way at 75MPH and getting passed up like the parking brake was on!

Very nice scene there TEXAS HOBO - Very nice!

LOUIS, CHAD, and others - I always dreamed of having a layout such as many do who are on this forum, but I realize that I never will - just not enough moons left in my clock. My time seems to disappear/dissipate too rapidly. BUT< BUT this winter I am going to at least set up a board to run other than at Christmas Tree time!

Afternoon All,

Did some chores then spent several hours on YouTube researching how different modelers do concrete platforms. I will be redoing the 3 very large wood platforms (I used very oversized planking originally) and I figure concrete will be more appropriate for trucking and containers. It looks like the 3 major choices are balsa, foam, or plaster, so I need to think about it for awhile. Driving up to see Phil and Jon tomorrow.

Willie- You have more patience and better eye sight than I do with the fence. I'm getting ready to do a flat car load with 2 of those tractors that I had squirreled away.

Joe- Maybe you can overlay the seams with either styrene or wood strips to make a smoother edge?

Louis- Nice historical photos.

Sherrel- We had much the same problem with a Plymouth Voyager back in the mid 90's. We took it into the dealership 3 times for big bucks that didn't fix the problem. Of course they always said it was a different problem causing it each time:mad:. We finally took it to a shade tree mechanic and he diagnosed a carburetor issue, fixed it and never had that problem again. I have not owned a Plymouth or a Dodge since because of the feeling of being screwed by 2 different Plymouth/Dodge dealerships. I don't know where you are in relation to the LA fire, but I hope your family is safe.

Johnny- Nice woodworking.

Tex- Nice scene.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Willie - I echo the thoughts others have already expressed - you are over-the-top patient to produce a fence like that. I'm rather patient, but, man, nothing like that!! Congratulations. that will look fantastic when it's in place on your layout around that barn!

Joe- Maybe you can overlay the seams with either styrene or wood strips to make a smoother edge?

Curt: That may be the solution, I was even considering using corrugated roofing material as the overlay, similar to what Willie is using on his abandoned barn. If I remember correctly, you have also used this on some of your buildings.

Well there was a funeral up at Apple Ridge. Mr. McIntosh passed on. His mother-in-law, Mrs. Smith, known to all as Granny was seen being assisted through the gate by Mr. Pippen. Preacher Johnny is rumored to be from the Appleseed clan.
Tex: I like your narration. Sort of keeps it all in the family. But where are the Cortlands?
Making up my Walther's order for Friday's trip to Walther's.

Greg: Wow! Sounds like you're getting set to make up for lost time.

Further Improvement 10-29-2019.jpg

New paving material, notice the step sitter with bottle :rolleyes:.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back