Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 62F and windy. The low on Wednesday is supposed to be 48F. After breakfast I did laundry and a couple of small chores. In the train room I took apart the 44 Tonner and cut out 3 access hatches on the one end of it. Yesterday I ordered a 3D printed diesel with generator. Today I ordered a WS set of train mechanics. For the scene I'll start out with a gondola for the diesel after it's pulled, but after the holidays I'm going to order a Funaro Pennsy FM or F22 resin kit flat car to replace it. Laser Kit makes wood decks for them also.

Tom- Great layout shots.

Joe- New episodes (4) start on Christmas Day. Great looking tree.

TomO- Sounds like you're a busy guy.

Bill- Great photo.

David- Nice photo of granddaughter.

Patrick- Sorry for your son's loss.

Willie- Nice layout shots.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I have a Bowser Alco 630M which I bought some months back, got a good deal as one of the guardrails had broken and needed replacing, contacted Bowser, ordered the guard rail ($15 + $20 postage) and heard no more, 2 weeks ago, I sent an email, (one of several) asking if it had been shipped as I hadn't received anything from them like a tracking No.
Finally got a reply today, apparently, according to USPS it had been delivered on the 12th Oct., which I know it hadn't, the Loco is still sitting under my workbench patiently awaiting the rail.

Now I had the tracking number I went onto Royal Mail Tracking to see what that said, and sure enough, it said "Delivered" Definitely something wrong, so I checked my "New Spares Box", just in case I'd received it and forgotten, sure enough, apart from some car trucks, 12X33" and 18X36" wheels and plus 2 new Athearn motors, it was empty, so went back to Royal Mail tracking website.

Then the penny dropped, it was scanned into my local delivery office on the 12th Oct. at 09.41, and it was delivered at 09.58 the same day admittedly I only live about 2 miles from the delivery office, but as far as I'm aware non of our Posties are Hussein bloody Bolt. :mad:

Now I have to go down to the delivery office and try and find out what happened, they won't know, (as usual), then I'll have to make an official complaint, and in a month's time, I'll be told, " Sorry your package was delivered" (as I've been told on 3 previous occasions when this has happened), and I'll have to buy another flipping set at $35.:mad::mad:

Last edited:
I have a Bowser Alco 320M which I bought some months back, got a good deal as one of the guardrails had broken and needed replacing, contacted Bowser, ordered the guard rail ($15 + $20 postage) and heard no more, 2 weeks ago, I sent an email, (one of several) asking if it had been shipped as I hadn't received anything from them like a tracking No.
Finally got a reply today, apparently, according to USPS it had been delivered on the 12th Oct., which I know it hadn't, the Loco is still sitting under my workbench patiently awaiting the rail.

Now I had the tracking number I went onto Royal Mail Tracking to see what that said, and sure enough, it said "Delivered" Definitely something wrong, so I checked my "New Spares Box", just in case I'd received it and forgotten, sure enough, apart from some car trucks, 12X33" and 18X36" wheels and plus 2 new Athearn motors, it was empty, so went back to Royal Mail tracking website.

Then the penny dropped, it was scanned into my local delivery office on the 12th Oct. at 09.41, and it was delivered at 09.58 the same day admittedly I only live about 2 miles from the delivery office, but as far as I'm aware non of our Posties are Hussein bloody Bolt. :mad:

Now I have to go down to the delivery office and try and find out what happened, they won't know, (as usual), then I'll have to make an official complaint, and in a month's time, I'll be told, " Sorry your package was delivered" (as I've been told on 3 previous occasions when this has happened), and I'll have to buy another flipping set at $35.:mad::mad:
You have mentioned this several times, maybe it's time to check out a parcel forwarding service. Not sure how it works in the UK, here we can use that address and packages will be sent there, and you pick them up at your convenience.

You have mentioned this several times, maybe it's time to check out a parcel forwarding service. Not sure how it works in the UK, here we can use that address and packages will be sent there, and you pick them up at your convenience.
We don't really have anything like that, those we do have end up with Royal Mail or passed onto a Courier company for final delivery to a home address

Morning all,

Bit chilly this morning at 17°. Supposed to get to the lower 40's today even with the snow. It got to 38° yesterday and the bulk of the roads are near normal. The sun and above freezing temps will make short work of the snow.

Off Friday as I have servers to update on Saturday. Friday is a "funeral" day as my son lost his 16 year old beagle mix last night. She had a fast growing tumor on her liver that they found on her last checkup, and she went down hill fairly quickly. She was a good dog and loved the grandkids. We're going to bury her at the out of town daughter's land where they have a pet cemetery.

Not much else going on yet.
Patrick- sorry for the loss of your grandpup. Today was funeral day for us, too. MBH’s grandpa passed away last Tuesday(MIL’s dad) & the service was down in the southern part of the state(Watertown), which is a 3+ hour drive(half of it is on 2 lane roads). When we left at 4:30 this morning, it was in the single digits & the wind chill made it feel about 5-10 below. Nothing like half the trip both ways being in the dark.

That past sunday got the turntable to work. Someone cut off electric terminals in motor right at the stem and it took a little to solder the wires to barely visible tips on the motor. After a good lube, some cleaning and finally proper adjustment of spring tension i've got the turn table to work:
There's still some minor work to do before painting and weathering. I'll need to fill in two gaps in pit rail so the wheels of turntable will not drop in and stall while TT is spinning. Of course i also have to build a catwalk with handrail on top of the table to make it look complete.

I finally got the new sink and dishwasher fully installed yesterday. I put a temporary electrical box in for the dishwasher. The electricians will install the real outlet when they come back to install the under the cabinet's lights. I bought a ground fault breaker for the circuit. $79.00 for the breaker. I hope to get down to the train room soon. My friend is making the upper cabinets now. Went I get those installed I can finally get down there.
Swal

K_Sink_03.jpg
K_Sink_05.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning from chilly So. Central Wisconsin where the wind chill at 4 AM was -6, but has warmed up almost 2 hours later to -1f degrees. The thermometer real temperature says +11 and we are heading to +24 per the app. I can handle cold ok but not as well as in the younger days, but minus 0 wind chills has always sucked.

Yesterday was an ok outdoor day. I had to de-ice the driveway at the office. The SonInLaw is out of town so I went over and did it. Lots of ice melt and sand after a quick shoveling by hand. While there both UPS and the USPS dropped packages off. More trains for me and Xmas gifts that Terry ordered.

The HVAC contractor’s guy showed up at the house. Seems the venting system for the air handling had a shutdown valve installed backwards cutting off any air circulation into the train room and another bypassing the humidifier. Never realized the house was dry, (Terry though had complained this weekend) but the downstairs was reading 15%. Last night at midnight before bed it was at 31%. I have about 1” of condensation on the bottom of the windows this morning so I dropped it to 27%. He thinks the dust issue will greatly lessen in the train room. Today’s chore is to dust the ceilings and walls in the train room. While doing that since it’s still just a foam board pacific (no plywood) I will also vacuum the layout. The 90 minutes he spent on the air handling system was no charge warranty work. The 10 minutes he spent with me peering over his shoulder was a call charge minimum (1 hour) as I never moved the vent shutoff on the humidifier from Summer to Winter mode.

Some weathering was done yesterday and will again today.

A grocery run (with Terry) is planned for sometime this morning. She has a list, I just look at the refrigerator, freezer and pantry. She’ll spend 2-3 times more than I would.

A visit to the local Dollar Tree will occur on the way to the grocer. Sharpie fine points, black and red are needed for a Wednesday graffiti learning project. I can do custom graffiti but I prefer decals. On autoracks I use S scale decals instead of HO as the increased size looks and fit better IMO on the cars. I have a local guy who believes he is finally done with his intermodal accumulation of equipment and is moving to building his Autorack and auto parts boxcar fleet. He wants custom graffiti and we came to a deal. I’ll weather them and I will teach his daughter how to do graffiti. It was her suggestion as she knew the 2 local high school art students I interviewed last Spring to do graffiti. They thought $10 per car side and $3.00 per piece and $1 per tag was not enough. This girl thinks it’s fine. He has 1 train of 25 cars for us to start on of which I have 5 cars with the initial weathering done. She will come by after school on Wednesdays as she has early dismissal. I have set up an open area we can work in that is separate from my workshop. I also have added a security camera with sound to record the happenings. This was done per my agreement with Terry to have the young ladies in the house to CMA! I get it in today’s world, I don’t like it but better be prepared in case of…

Today is Tuesday, therefore the swim is this morning and the walk this evening. Off I go…

enjoy the day

Morning all,

A bit warmer today at 20°, supposed to get to 43° later.

Meetings a good chunk of the morning. I hate them as they usually don't really need anything from me. Easier to not know.

Patrick- sorry for the loss of your grandpup. Today was funeral day for us, too. MBH’s grandpa passed away last Tuesday(MIL’s dad) & the service was down in the southern part of the state(Watertown), which is a 3+ hour drive(half of it is on 2 lane roads). When we left at 4:30 this morning, it was in the single digits & the wind chill made it feel about 5-10 below. Nothing like half the trip both ways being in the dark.
Mike: Sorry to hear of your family's loss as well. The son was at his sister's house last evening as he said his house was too quiet.

Christmas tree is up and decorated. Dawn had to explain to our granddaughter where each bauble came from and how old they are. Some are Victorian. Some Edwardian. Some from New York. Plus an eclectic number that bring memories.
Tomorrow it will be decorating the rooms time. No grandchildren to help.
It would be great to see a photo of your tree. It would be really great if you posted it in a thread I started Christmas Trees, Trains and More

I finally got the new sink and dishwasher fully installed yesterday. I put a temporary electrical box in for the dishwasher. The electricians will install the real outlet when they come back to install the under the cabinet's lights. I bought a ground fault breaker for the circuit. $79.00 for the breaker. I hope to get down to the train room soon. My friend is making the upper cabinets now. Went I get those installed I can finally get down there.
Swal

View attachment 177420View attachment 177421
Your work is always first rate, thanks for sharing,

Good Morning All. Wispy clouds to the east and southeast, but otherwise clear and 37°. Expecting a sunny day and temperatures returning to the 60's before thunderstorms on Thursday.

Beautiful day yesterday, I picked up more leaves and cut up some of my new stash of firewood. Supper was grilled thick-cut pork chops with a Mexican rub on them.
IMG_0999.JPG

No after pictures because we were hungry!

Today will be more firewood cutting and possibly garden tilling if I am up to it. I'd like to get the initial tilling for next spring done before it possibly rains on Thursday.

Overnight, I received a text message to attend a retirement party for Dana. I have no clue as to who she is, but she indicated that she was retiring from UNT (University of North Texas), known as NTSU when I went there. She was obviously directing the message to Tina (also an ex-UNT employee), who had my phone number before me. AT&T claimed that she relinquished the number in 2013; I got it in 2019. I still get calls and texts for her over ten years later. Doctors, dentists, beauticians, folks wanting to buy her house, lawyers, ex-coworkers and collection agencies. I was even getting them from her mother who never updated her contact list. I also am continuing to get political solicitations from Joe Biden and other liberal-leaning candidates, despite me texting "stop" back to them. I know more about this woman than most of her relatives.

During one of my cleanup adventures out in the train shed recently, I pulled out this Walther's windmill kit. I had made one of the two windmills a few years ago, a short version; and I wanted to make the second one.
IMG_0996.JPG

So I started.
IMG_0997.JPG

I painted the upper platform and the concrete base and away I went.
IMG_0998.JPG

A quick and easy project. It will soon reside on one of the layout farms.

Mike - That was good news regarding the snowblower, which is one piece of equipment that thankfully I have no need for.
Chris - You definitely have an issue with your Post Office. 17 minutes to go 2 miles to deliver a package seems like a fabrication to me.

Everyone have a tremendous Tuesday.

Anyone want the Beverly Hillbillies on their layout?

Wiilie-This would look great in front of one of your general stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back