Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
How big a box Troy 6 inches. 12 inches etc. ?
Swal
Build the box on the ceiling, where you want to get access to the window. The box will have three sides, left, right, and back. The front is the window itself (or the wall around it). Build it at least as far back as any swing in the window. It should run the full width of the window, side to side. The depth of the box will be the distance between the joists above, and the level of where your drop ceiling will sit.

Here's a top-down view of what I'm thinking.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 4.13.29 PM.png

I had an enjoyable day!

I installed a light over the stove in our downstairs kitchen.

I opened and sorted several boxes of train stuff. I found some cool stuff I forgot I had!

Now I'm done and off to watch TV before going to bed to watch TV until I fall asleep.

Have a great night Everybody!

Last edited:
Not at £203 plus postage to the UK, plus customs tax it's not, anyway it's HOn3 wouldn't run on my code100 layout.
I actually checked this and it comes to a total of £271 including tax and postage, and this isn't even NIB.

@santafewillie and someone else mentioned something the other day about TV antennas. I had an idea. Small wire, paintbrush bristles.

I was going to use static grass but couldn't find it so I decided to sacrifice a few bristles from a paint brush. I coated the end of a resistor wire with matte medium and placed the bristles on it. Once dry I cut to lenth. Just need to paint it now and mount to a pole.

Attachments

• 20231128_132707.jpg
    20231128_132707.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Good evening. 32° partly cloudy, breezy, and get this, a 20% chance of a Lake Erie Lake Effect snow squall !!! :rolleyes: 🎲🙀

Went to a "Michaels" earlier today, the wife picked up a couple of "glass blocks" for a craft project. Traffic (better stated as drivers) were insane! We still have 26 more shopping days until Christmas... Remember when they used to publish the countdown on the front page of most newspapers, and no one was offended?

Last night, I completed Building 2 of my Penn Steel Castings Co. complex.
Penn Steel Castings #2 Foundry #1 Cast House - 11_27_2023 JSW.jpg

This was a Walthers Vulcan Mfg. Co. kit, that took longer than I anticipated. I'm sort of winging this project, as the prototype complex burned down in the early 1970s. My guide is the American Wire Rope complex along Canal St and Mott St, in Trenton, NJ. part of which is still standing. John Roebling's Wire rope manufacturing complex.
Both complexes were still operational during my railroad career.

Afternoon All,

Started out today at 51F and it's only 55F now. I am not looking forward to my walk tomorrow at an expected 45F. :eek: You may laugh but remember I have lived in FL since 1995. It is darn cold for us.

Today I did some chores then put 3 coats of gray craft paint on the inside of the 44 Tonner shell and the back of the removed doors. Tomorrow I think we're decorating the tree. We have a 4' one this year that sits on the table to prevent skunk issues. The joys of having pets.

Smudge- That sucks.

Joe- Thanks for the quick response and paint info.

Mac- Awesome job on the TT. I know you must feel good about it. Do you have power to the bridge track yet? If so how did you do it?

George- Your work looks great.

Mike- Sorry for your family's loss.

Troy- Nice haul.

I hope everyone has a good night.
I didn't try to power the bridge rails yet. There are two wires sticking out somewhere from the turn table as can be seen in the film. I have no clue where they are connected. I assume both are connected to the table wheels. The round basin rail is cut in two places and both halves have wire coming out of them underneath the table assembly. I'm guessing the power for table rails was meant to come through basin rail via turntable wheels. When i have some time, i'll connect the two wires under bottom to transformer and see if basin rail is getting power. From there i'll connect the other wires seen in the film to rails and see if any power comes through them.

Not sure what I would say seeing this running around someone's layout, "Interesting" is one word that comes to mind.

View attachment 177445
These "Galloping Geese" are legends in their own right. Narrow gauge railroads in Colorado and New Mexico had several of them, 6 or 7. All were home made and everyone was different. They were used across the system to deliver small loads and packages. As the front end suggests, they were built on truck and old bus chasis. I think one of them is operational.

For some things I use fresh garlic, like the Thanksgiving Turkey. Usually, I use Spice World minced garlic, like in my homemade salsa. My hands are not what they used to be. Sometimes there is no option to use fresh garlic for me. Spice world is good and easy to get from my local grocery store for about $5 for 32 OZ.
Go to an Asian store and buy the crushed garlic. You'll thank me.

I actually checked this and it comes to a total of £271 including tax and postage, and this isn't even NIB.

At that price I would pass on that "ugly duckling" and let someone else love it.

Louis I just when down stairs to start my new train room ceiling project. I hope I can do a first rate job but I have the figure out what I'm going to do with the basement windows that would be above the drop ceiling. Maybe I can't do a drop ceiling. Anyone have any ceiling suggestions? I would like to be able to have access to all the plumping & electrical junction boxes that are currently attached to the floor joist,
Swal
Swal:
Like the Stones say: Paint it black. This is what I did even though there are no windows that need dealt with. I have black down to the canopy above the top level. The ceiling kinda disappears. I also have black from the floor up to the lower level. To me, this makes your eyes look in the middle and at least I don't notice the top and bottom stuff. Keep in mind that black is a misnomer as it is almost impossible to get true black with acrylic wall paint mixes, ya end up with a very dark gray. Try some on a small portion and see what you think. If you don't like it, drop ceiling.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back