Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Cloudy and a chilly 58° with a brisk north wind. Had to shut the bedroom windows during the night. It was downright cold! It's not expected to get out of the 70's today or tomorrow. Missed out on the thunderstorms yesterday, they formed south and east of here and moved east towards Louisiana. They got over 2" 40 miles south of me.

Grocery trek went OK yesterday, nothing of note. Gasoline is back below $2.97/gal, and my fuel points got me a 70¢/gal discount. That made a $10 savings on 14.5 gallons.

Nothing noteworthy out in the train shed yesterday. i continued to rehab some trees, but spent more time running trains. I broke down two unit grain trains and mixed up the covered hoppers a bit, adding a few in from the storage track and parking others. kind of a different look for a while. Those on the storage track will get shuffled in and out of the various grain elevators on locals at some point. I still use a random "pick and choose" method of switching instead of the real switching program that I have.
Meanwhile here are a few more new pictures of older scenes.
IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

IMG_3483.JPG

Patrick - It took me three years to catch up with homestead projects after I retired. Now I barely am able to keep ahead. Still waiting for pictures of the dollhouse.
Dick - It's great that you still enjoy your job. I enjoyed mine, but had to pass it to the next generation as part of the succession plan. After 18 months of drawing a check and doing absolutely nothing meaningful, I retired early at 63, but waited until 66 for Sociable Security.
Todd - I've given my little saw quite a workout the past two days since I got it. It's really handy getting into tight spots and it's certainly easier to carry around.
Jeff - I always hated it when the budget got in the way of train purchases.
Louis - I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't a 24 hour baseball channel on cable/satellite somewhere.
Tom O - When you do go to Austin, be prepared. Even though they have about 400K less population than Dallas, they have more homeless folks, and lead the state in unsheltered homeless residents.

Cher is 77 years old today. I used to like her in the 60's.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Good Morning All!

55F @ 76% and clear. Smoke is pretty much gone except for a little haze to the North. Should get to 85F early afternoon.

Getting ready to feed the chimney crew - biscuits and gravy. Can't get up on the roof until the dew goes away. Maria and I are both sore, maybe that should be 'still' sore? She takes drugs, I don't. We both have wounds from the tear out but they are to far from our hearts to kill us. We will heal.

Pocket doors should be in today of which I need to fetch from Troy. Will get 10 - 15 2x4's at that time too. Truck is running good thanks to Dave.

The pix is of our morning crew. Three are very pregnant and should be dropping fawns in a week or two. Usually there are 11 - 12, only 9 this morning. Funny thing is - when the Turkeys come through, there are 11 - 12 of them too; go figure.

IMGP0678.JPG

Yes, she needs to 'weed and feed'. Supposed to rain come Tuesday/Wednesday so just before that.

Suspect we will bust our butts until 1400 or so as it just gets to hot upstairs. That is ok, as I need to gander at the rider - lots of clanking and banging when the blades are activated. The blade towers are rock solid so I suspect that a 'tightener' is astray or broken. We will see.

Later

Todd - I've given my little saw quite a workout the past two days since I got it. It's really handy getting into tight spots and it's certainly easier to carry around.
Willie: Showed your posts of the new saw to Maria. Loved it. I did not know she was gonna get one until it got here. Probably ordered it about the same time you did. One of the reasons she got this one is what you state. Can carry it around AND she can do stuff over her head. Our hanging branches are smaller than yours so it should last good also. We were looking at a 12" gas chain saw - I picked one up and they are lighter than the last battery one she got. This one wins hands down.

Great pix as always!

Later

As it sits...

20230520_091631.jpg

What's it should be like when completed:

s-l1600.jpg

I only have 3 of the 4 sheets, but found the first sheet online. It may not look exactly like the Photo, but it will be close. I still need to cut the 1"X2" supports and make the door and window cuts. The sheets I found have a newer copyright notice. I hope to complete most of the cuts this weekend.

Louis - I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't a 24 hour baseball channel on cable/satellite somewhere.
There is the MLB network. I got rid of cable and I have not found a way to stream it. There are probably more than one station on satellite radio as well, but I don't have that either.
My Mom watched the MLB network all day. Except for when the Orioles were on or good western.

I used to spend over $300/month for cable, internet, and other subscriptions.

I switched to T-Mobile internet and now I pay $30/ month for internet. I get MLB.TV, Netflix, and Apple TV free from T-Mobile. We also have Amazon Prime TV and good reception from my amplified antennas.

I forgot to mention Samsung TV+, Roku TV and several other free streaming services.

Last edited:
Good Morning!

It's supposed to be blue-sky sunny outside, but, I can't see the cloudless sky due to the wildfire smoke in the air. The world is an entirely different colour with all that smoke in the air. It looks quite dark outside, almost like dusk.
My throat is sore and my eyes burn a-bit. Life goes on, though. Business as usual.

I'm going to walk the dog down to Beaver Creek today, even though breathing is more comfortable in the house. The dog needs exercise and I need some time in the forest.

Guy - I have been reading with some interest about something called "Alberta 51 Project". Without getting political here, I was just wondering if it has widespread support, or is it just a fringe thing??? Heck! Have you even heard about it???
Willie - That idea has been passed around. The concept does not have popular support. It's not gonna happen. - That's all I wish to say about it.

McLeod - The smoke was worse than that down here for a day but has cleared up a lot.
Chet - I believe we are so close to the fires, that most of the smoke goes straight up into the sky, and travels many miles before settling back down on the surface. Montana is directly south of us, probably right in-line with the trade wind movements. You probably have a worse smoke problem than us right now. - I didn't do it on purpose😟

Well, the dog is bothering me like she already figured out we're going walking. Don't seem like I've got lots to say anyway.

Have a great day!

As it sits...

View attachment 168777

What's it should be like when completed:

View attachment 168778
I only have 3 of the 4 sheets, but found the first sheet online. It may not look exactly like the Photo, but it will be close. I still need to cut the 1"X2" supports and make the door and window cuts. The sheets I found have a newer copyright notice. I hope to complete most of the cuts this weekend.
That reminds me of when I worked part-time for Toys R Us. For a few Christmas seasons I worked in the back of the store putting things together for customers and displays. I put together bikes and all kinds of things, even Deluxe Barbi Houses! The Deluxe Barbi house took 8 hours to put together, according to the side of the box. I never spent more than four and after I few I could complete them in just over two hours. The managers loved me, but I could care less what they thought. My reward was seeing the parents faces when they picked their kids Christmas gifts. Not to mention I made a few extra dollars for my family's Christmas. The closer we got to Christmas I would end up with overtime. Working part time. Get home at 2am and be at my day job by 8am. I loved it and I miss it.

Matell discontinued the Deluxe Barbi House because nobody wanted to put the things together. I could not even find a picture of one on the internet.

Those things are uphill the first time you do one. I did not have to make any cuts, just hundreds of pink screws.

I wish you well!

I picked up one of these one year. My Life-Like Chessie gave out on Christmas Eve. This Tyco (one just like it) pulled the train under my tree that Christmas morning.
1684599161458.png

My oldest daughter still remembers it!

Last edited:
Good morning, all. The sun is fighting to get through the clouds. Rain is forecasted, so the mowers were busy yesterday.
I had posted a week or so ago about my gift card being hacked. Someone purchased $130 worth of cosmetics. Anyway, Visa is replacing the card in full.
I did get in a little train time in yesterday. Mostly just train watching, with feet propped up and a glass of scotch.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Howdy all, with or without cool power tools!

Rain is forecasted for later today, so I got my butt up early and knocked out the yard, then cut 20 ft of 1x2 into 1 inch blocks for spline, then 36 more 6 inch risers for the spline.

SWMBO wants to go shopping, and we do need cat litter and kitty food, plus a HD stop for another box of screws, so I better go shower and get all the "man glitter" (sawdust) off of me.

BBL

Good morning, all. The sun is fighting to get through the clouds. Rain is forecasted, so the mowers were busy yesterday.
I had posted a week or so ago about my gift card being hacked. Someone purchased $130 worth of cosmetics. Anyway, Visa is replacing the card in full.
I did get in a little train time in yesterday. Mostly just train watching, with feet propped up and a glass of scotch.

STAY SAFE
LATER
You know how to spend the perfect Saturday afternoon!:)

Good Morning All. Cloudy and a chilly 58° with a brisk north wind. Had to shut the bedroom windows during the night. It was downright cold! It's not expected to get out of the 70's today or tomorrow. Missed out on the thunderstorms yesterday, they formed south and east of here and moved east towards Louisiana. They got over 2" 40 miles south of me.

Grocery trek went OK yesterday, nothing of note. Gasoline is back below $2.97/gal, and my fuel points got me a 70¢/gal discount. That made a $10 savings on 14.5 gallons.

Nothing noteworthy out in the train shed yesterday. i continued to rehab some trees, but spent more time running trains. I broke down two unit grain trains and mixed up the covered hoppers a bit, adding a few in from the storage track and parking others. kind of a different look for a while. Those on the storage track will get shuffled in and out of the various grain elevators on locals at some point. I still use a random "pick and choose" method of switching instead of the real switching program that I have.
Meanwhile here are a few more new pictures of older scenes.
View attachment 168773
View attachment 168774
View attachment 168775

Patrick - It took me three years to catch up with homestead projects after I retired. Now I barely am able to keep ahead. Still waiting for pictures of the dollhouse.
Dick - It's great that you still enjoy your job. I enjoyed mine, but had to pass it to the next generation as part of the succession plan. After 18 months of drawing a check and doing absolutely nothing meaningful, I retired early at 63, but waited until 66 for Sociable Security.
Jeff - I always hated it when the budget got in the way of train purchases.
Tom O - When you do go to Austin, be prepared. Even though they have about 400K less population than Dallas, they have more homeless folks, and lead the state in unsheltered homeless residents.

Cher is 77 years old today. I used to like her in the 60's.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.
Oh, I get it. We’ve seen things along the road that are sickening in Austin. I understand why some are homeless and much of it is due to the lack of facilities and removed funding for the mentally ill. If I was in charge, no money would leave this country for ANY REASON until our homeless and underfed are handled firsts. Take care of home first.

Afternoon All,

Currently 87F. Started out the day with some chores then planted 23 trees on the layout. After that I cut out 18 more trees and applied the rattle can color. I ran to Harbor Freight and stocked up on the batteries we need for hurricane season (already have drinking water stored and have jugs that we will freeze water in to act like ice if needed. The last prep thing to do is a tree removal and that's scheduled for 5 June. After getting home I put the first layer of foliage on the 18 trees. I should finish them tomorrow.

Louis- Nice photos.

David- Nice photos.

Smudge- Interesting log train pulled by a VW bus! :D Ok, I'm teasing you.

Mikey- It was nice of you to volunteer.

Willie- Very nice detailing.

Todd- Nice wildlife shot.

Troy- It looks like you're making good progress.

Hughie- Good news.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back