Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have hardware in the old widow maker (Lower anterior descending artery).

I had a heart attack on my Mother-in-Law's birthday. Even that couldn't keep her from talking. I bought her a shirt that said "Help, I'm talking and I can't shut up."

The T-shirt I got for my wife said "The only time my wife stops talking is when her mother starts."

I'm still married, so I think they saw the humor in it. Or at least the death penalty was a reasonable deterrent... not sure.

Well howdy there internet peoples and those who understand engineering better than I do.

It's Troy again, and I have a question for the brain trust.

I need to run verticle supports in my peninsula to hold up the upper deck.

Seen that Gerry Leone on his new layout does this:

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 12.10.45 PM.png

Now, Gerry is using L-girder, and I'm going with Open Grid benchwork.

My thought is to make sure my peninsula is level, and run a 2x4 from the floor up to the height of the backdrop for the upper level.

These are short scraps of 2x4 to give you an idea of what I'm needing to do:
Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 11.59.29 AM.png
I'll attach the verticle support to the exiting cross piece on the peninsula. And, add in 45-degree "leg" supports from the 2x4 to the "ribs"

I envision a rib running front to back, connecting to the upper end of the 2x4s, positioned just under where the upper deck's ribs will sit.

BUT, what kind of support underneath? At the floor level?

Do I need to add a "foot" T and bracing?

It seems to me they ought to count the number of bathrooms , since they are the rooms that use the water. :rolleyes: ;) 😊
Here it is a combo of bathrooms and bedrooms - although the bedrooms make no sense to me. Well, what does make sense with any .gov? When we put in the new septic almost 10 years we opted for the largest we could get; 2500 gallons ifn I remember correctly. Replaced a brick/rock cistern thingie. There is also one out the back for the kitchen's gray water that needs to be looked at sooner or later. Pretty sure that line has been broken for years as the drain sometimes works good, others not.

Later

You better Louis, you don't want a certain Hungarian mad at you!
Had it not been for the sad look on her face I may have refused to do anything. She was why I let them take me in an ambulance and do all these other things. I would not even want to disappoint her, let alone make her angry.
Karl, I know you of all people understand. Now that we have both been blessed with Angels, life is wonderful. I want to enjoy it for as long as possible. I'm sure you feel the same.

Last edited:
For my cardiac catheterization they gave me fentanyl and a tranquilizer. I was hoping it would relieve my back pain, no help. I was wide awake for the entire procedure. It was interesting watching the monitor, but my back was a distraction, it was talking to me! I was watching the clock more so than the monitor.

My back is a cluster f... I can't lay on my back. I sleep in a fetal position with a pillow between my knees. It is the only way I can lay down.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day at 71F and getting up into the 90's again. Last night we had a storm cell come through that put down 2" of rain and small hail over an hour. First time for hail here for several years. Today I did inside chores and ran to Aldi for a couple of odds and ends. Tomorrow is work on the pool day. I'm watching a docu-drama about the 1917 Halifax explosion.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

David- Great videos and cool looking steamer. The song is haunting and sounds beautiful.

Joe- Great news.

Louis- Neat photos.

Gary- Great to see you posting again.

Christian- Congrats on the new arrivals.

20230511_171406 (1).jpg

20230511_171444.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well howdy there internet peoples and those who understand engineering better than I do.

It's Troy again, and I have a question for the brain trust.

I need to run verticle supports in my peninsula to hold up the upper deck.

Seen that Gerry Leone on his new layout does this:

View attachment 168186
Now, Gerry is using L-girder, and I'm going with Open Grid benchwork.

My thought is to make sure my peninsula is level, and run a 2x4 from the floor up to the height of the backdrop for the upper level.

These are short scraps of 2x4 to give you an idea of what I'm needing to do:
View attachment 168187I'll attach the verticle support to the exiting cross piece on the peninsula. And, add in 45-degree "leg" supports from the 2x4 to the "ribs"

I envision a rib running front to back, connecting to the upper end of the 2x4s, positioned just under where the upper deck's ribs will sit.

BUT, what kind of support underneath? At the floor level?

Do I need to add a "foot" T and bracing?
Troy your back is good enough to crawl under all that bench work and hook all the switches, crossing gates etc.
Swal

Good Afternoon All. Partly sunny and 86°.
Returned from the grocery trek a bit after noon, it was my first real drive in the new vehicle. OK I guess, it should ride well for a 2020 vehicle with only 22,000 miles on it.
RANT: No wonder newer cars cost so much. This thing has way more computers, cameras, bells and whistles on it than any qualified driver needs. OK, I am an old fashioned guy who learned to drive by paying attention to the road, not by being surrounded by flashing displays and "driving aids". This thing has a display in the center of the dashboard with lines showing the lanes, from cameras mounted somewhere! If you stray over a line or are just changing lanes, the steering wheel automatically vibrates! I know if I am in my lane, I don't need the car to tell me. Another camera is scanning the side of the road and there is a speed limit sign displayed there that changes as soon as you change to a higher or lower limit. Next to it is a display for STOP signs that the camera reads. I didn't go through anywhere with a yield sign but I suspect that it would show up as well. I guess that the orange lights on the outside side view mirrors might be handy indicating someone in the "blind spot", but isn't that the purpose of those mirrors anyway?
On the rear-view mirror is a display showing what direction you're going in, north south etc. I guess that is handy to someone who is directional-challenged, but is it really needed. Then there is the touch-screen up on the center of the dashboard that shows and controls literally hundreds of things. First of all, I can't look at it without taking my eyes off the road. Secondly, it is actually out of my reach so it does no good anyway! Plus I can't really read some of the characters. Then we come to the radio and the climate control system. Both can be controlled by knobs and buttons in the usual places. But both can also be controlled by using the touch screen, by using buttons and controls on the steering wheel, and another touch pad on the center console between the shift control and the arm rest! Four places each! o_O
Forget the cruise control which I never use anyway even though I have had it on cars back 15 years ago. It can be set for certain spacing between you and the car in front and will brake if you get too close. I don't know if the brake lights come on to warn the following driver.
I am surprised that it doesn't print out a report card at the conclusion of the trip indicating how often you exceeded the speed limit or turned without using a turn signal! Then turning off the engine and opening the door. Everything moves! Steering wheel moves and seats move. The person in the back seat needs to watch where their knees are!
Heated and air conditioned seats are a nice touch, but I will probably never remember to use that feature. The fold-in outside mirrors when you lock the car by touch are nice since they do indicate that the car is locked; I cannot hear the locking sound. The foot thingy under the rear bumper to open the back hatch might work for someone who won't lose their balance while carrying packages, but not me.
I guess that the technology is just passing this old fart by, but it sure is making cars expensive and probably a lot harder and expensive to repair.
END OF RANT.

My back isn't bad right now. We'll see how smart I am about keeping it that way. ;)
Troy I said that because I had similar bench work with the helix and all that killed my back hooking up all the switches. crossing gates, singles city lights etc. My back couldn't take it anymore and tried to eliminate as many legs holding up the layout as possible. I still have some holding up the lower deck but only a few.
Swal

Layout_G_30.JPG

Good afternoon all,

It was a warm rainy day today. Never looked at the gauge to see how much we got, but storms are supposed to fire up later, and dump more.

Spent the day doing some household chores. Wife was complaining the drain in one of the bathroom sinks wouldnt drain well. Usually I can take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the hair out, but not today. I ended up having to take it all apart drains, traps ect, to clear it. While I had all the stuff out I did the second vanity sink as well since its my daughters sink. They both have equally as long of hair, and it was close to being as bad.

I have very little hair anymore, so none of it was mine! 😜

Have a great night everyone!!!

Good afternoon all,

It was a warm rainy day today. Never looked at the gauge to see how much we got, but storms are supposed to fire up later, and dump more.

Spent the day doing some household chores. Wife was complaining the drain in one of the bathroom sinks wouldnt drain well. Usually I can take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the hair out, but not today. I ended up having to take it all apart drains, traps ect, to clear it. While I had all the stuff out I did the second vanity sink as well since its my daughters sink. They both have equally as long of hair, and it was close to being as bad.

I have very little hair anymore, so none of it was mine! 😜

Have a great night everyone!!!
I used to hate doing that both my kids and the ex had long hair, and was always clogging up the sink or shower drains, apparently it was my fault, (I keep my hair military length even now), even tho' it was all long black hair, and I'm fair hared

Good Afternoon All. Partly sunny and 86°.
Returned from the grocery trek a bit after noon, it was my first real drive in the new vehicle. OK I guess, it should ride well for a 2020 vehicle with only 22,000 miles on it.
RANT: No wonder newer cars cost so much. This thing has way more computers, cameras, bells and whistles on it than any qualified driver needs. OK, I am an old fashioned guy who learned to drive by paying attention to the road, not by being surrounded by flashing displays and "driving aids". This thing has a display in the center of the dashboard with lines showing the lanes, from cameras mounted somewhere! If you stray over a line or are just changing lanes, the steering wheel automatically vibrates! I know if I am in my lane, I don't need the car to tell me. Another camera is scanning the side of the road and there is a speed limit sign displayed there that changes as soon as you change to a higher or lower limit. Next to it is a display for STOP signs that the camera reads. I didn't go through anywhere with a yield sign but I suspect that it would show up as well. I guess that the orange lights on the outside side view mirrors might be handy indicating someone in the "blind spot", but isn't that the purpose of those mirrors anyway?
On the rear-view mirror is a display showing what direction you're going in, north south etc. I guess that is handy to someone who is directional-challenged, but is it really needed. Then there is the touch-screen up on the center of the dashboard that shows and controls literally hundreds of things. First of all, I can't look at it without taking my eyes off the road. Secondly, it is actually out of my reach so it does no good anyway! Plus I can't really read some of the characters. Then we come to the radio and the climate control system. Both can be controlled by knobs and buttons in the usual places. But both can also be controlled by using the touch screen, by using buttons and controls on the steering wheel, and another touch pad on the center console between the shift control and the arm rest! Four places each! o_O
Forget the cruise control which I never use anyway even though I have had it on cars back 15 years ago. It can be set for certain spacing between you and the car in front and will brake if you get too close. I don't know if the brake lights come on to warn the following driver.
I am surprised that it doesn't print out a report card at the conclusion of the trip indicating how often you exceeded the speed limit or turned without using a turn signal! Then turning off the engine and opening the door. Everything moves! Steering wheel moves and seats move. The person in the back seat needs to watch where their knees are!
Heated and air conditioned seats are a nice touch, but I will probably never remember to use that feature. The fold-in outside mirrors when you lock the car by touch are nice since they do indicate that the car is locked; I cannot hear the locking sound. The foot thingy under the rear bumper to open the back hatch might work for someone who won't lose their balance while carrying packages, but not me.
I guess that the technology is just passing this old fart by, but it sure is making cars expensive and probably a lot harder and expensive to repair.
END OF RANT.
The sad thing there are people who need all that technology just to drive to work. We used to call it thinning the herd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back