Running Bear's May 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once was severly depressed as well took 9 yrs for it to dissipate
now once again, I ponder on the loss of one of *our * Snow Bird * personnel
Having to eject at about 1 minute after takeoff, the pilot landed on a house roof, (survived) & the passenger(media laison) did not make it
Whole cross Canada tour to promote optimism during pandemic now gone & on hold indefintely
So Sad
Long live the Canadian Snowbirds
Nothin to do with trains, just sharing

Having to eject at about 1 minute after takeoff, the pilot landed on a house roof, (survived) & the passenger(media laison) did not make it
Whole cross Canada tour to promote optimism during pandemic now gone & on hold indefintely
So Sad

it's always sad when one of the Best of the Best are involved in an accident or malfunction which results in a casualty. I saw them perform once here in the US (as well as the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds), and I'm always amazed by the precision with which they execute their maneuvers. I also live in close proximity to a major Air Force / Nav Air facility, and see these people fly over my home, frequently at low altitude, on a regular basis. Thhey are all good and any loss is tragic. Condolences to my Canadian friends.

it's always sad when one of the Best of the Best are involved in an accident or malfunction which results in a casualty. I saw them perform once here in the US (as well as the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds), and I'm always amazed by the precision with which they execute their maneuvers. I also live in close proximity to a major Air Force / Nav Air facility, and see these people fly over my home, frequently at low altitude, on a regular basis. Thhey are all good and any loss is tragic. Condolences to my Canadian friends.
I used to attend airshows all the time and have seen the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds, Canada's Snow Birds, UK's Red Devils, and Ukraine's equivalent team. It feels almost like family when something happens to one of them.

Speaking of family, I wonder if I'm feeling a little PTSD, or some such. The thought occurs that I'm the only one who was at each bedside when our mothers died three months apart, and there's been no ceremony for either one. For that matter, MIL's ashes still haven't been buried because of some family drama (hint: it's not a good idea to "borrow" a plot from another family member).

Sorry to go on about it, but it appears I have more of a need to deal with it than I thought.

FB_IMG_1589912216659.jpg

I once was severly depressed as well took 9 yrs for it to dissipate
now once again, I ponder on the loss of one of *our * Snow Bird * personnel
So Sad
Sharing is a good thing.

I used to attend airshows all the time and have seen the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds, Canada's Snow Birds, UK's Red Devils, and Ukraine's equivalent team. It feels almost like family when something happens to one of them.

Speaking of family, I wonder if I'm feeling a little PTSD, or some such. The thought occurs that I'm the only one who was at each bedside when our mothers died three months apart, and there's been no ceremony for either one. For that matter, MIL's ashes still haven't been buried because of some family drama (hint: it's not a good idea to "borrow" a plot from another family member).

Sorry to go on about it, but it appears I have more of a need to deal with it than I thought.

View attachment 113490
Beady, I think I speak for all the good folks of this forum when I say, we are more than happy to listen.

I love the old Adventurer! You still got old buddy!

Union Pacific , No.815 for a brief period in 1940 , wore this experimental sky-line casing, Southern Pacific like design , with an odd duct work in front of the stack ..... searching for a way to get the smoke up and over . out of the engineer's face .... experiment proved a failure .... UPR photo ...Jan.1959 Trains magazine
Union Pacific , No.815 for a brief period in 1940 , wore this experimental sky-line casing, So...jpg

Morning all,

Clear and 53* this morning with highs expected in the mid 70's once again. It was 71* yesterday, about 5* below predicted, but still a nice day.

Grandson asked me last night if he could have my trains when I die.....I asked if he was going to kill me for them and he said "Maybe"....and then laughed. Little turkey has the family sense of humor. We're going to do some stuff on his trains on Friday, so it's all good.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes on my daughter's behalf. They help.

One passing thought:

If you need 8 lead locos, 6 middle locos and 4 pushers and it takes 20 minutes for the train running 55 mph to clear the crossing, your train may be too long.

Hit that on the way home last night. Paralleled him at 55 and as always trains get to the crossing first.

Good morning Everybody!

Curt, the "master plan" is consuming all my free time, and I'm loving it!

Patrick, good to hear about your grandson, sounds like a "chip off the old block". What was that train hauling?

Got errands to do and I'm behind schedule, but God willing I'll be back!

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning America, how are ya? It's 57 and cloudy this morning with a high of 66 later on and rain. Looking at my phone, it shows rain for the next 10 days! Sure hope that's wrong!

Patrick-Hoping for the best for your daughter and the whole family.

Yes, that's a lovely part of the world! Much better than many places railroads run.

However, it might not be quite as much fun in the middle of winter. Railroading in the snow and cold can be a tough challenge.

I was thinking the same thing! I worked outside a great deal of my life and when the snow is up to your bunghole and the bottom has dropped out of the thermometer, the scenery has little to do with how you feel at the time!

Some pictures of Rock Island State Park when we went Monday morning.

Looking down about 50 feet.

IMGP6013.JPG

Warning sign for the area above.

IMGP6006.JPG

The parking lot.

IMGP6021.JPG

The dam upriver.

IMGP6028.JPG

Got to go now. Stay safe and six feet away!

Good Morning Everybody. Mostly cloudy and 67°. One more day of great weather, just not as warm, then the weather guessers are predicting seven rainy days out of the next ten. We'll see, they have been wrong quite a bit lately, both ways.
The pool was almost perfect yesterday, it warmed up to 79° and after a mowing session was quite refreshing. I believe that this is the earliest date that I have used it since we got it 25 years ago. I normally don't even start to get it ready until the 20th or so, and then it takes another week to warm up. Grass/weeds have been going crazy with the 3.5" of rain last weekend. I won't be mowing this morning as I have an emergency dental visit at 10:15. Yesterday afternoon, a crown just broke suddenly and it needs to be replaced. Sadly this is the third one that has broken and the dentist has assured me that he has quit using the lab that supplied them. He has been replacing them at no cost, but it still means a 90 minute trip/visit today for a temporary and another one in about three weeks for the permanent one. At least there is no pain.
Also spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the county tax assessor yesterday. My property valuation went up 28% and my land valuation (which includes the train shed) went up 12%. Not happy about this. It's actually only making my taxes go up about 6% because of my homestead exemption, agriculture exemption and my over 65 tax freeze (which only applies to the home), but I am still not happy. Several overpriced brick/stone homes about 1.5 miles away changed hands in the last two years and raised the valuations for the whole area. Wondering whether the time/effort to protest is worth the extra $90/year that I will have to pay. I most likely won't prevail anyway. They haven't actually raised my valuation in seven years.

Well the missing tooth hasn't affected my eating, so I'll take a couple of eggs over easy and a handful of bacon this morning Flo.

Thanks for all of the comments and likes (reactions), and suggestions regarding yesterday's post; Bob, Guy, Jerome, Karl, Gary, Sherrel, Phil, Louis, Patrick, Joe, Curt, Tom. Earl's Oil Co. was the runaway favorite regarding that area. I'll need to have my 1:87 Terry to move all of those travel trailers now.

I didn't spend a lot of time in the train shed yesterday, but I did open up the Earl's Oil Company kit.
05-20-20 002.JPG

I was able to prime several of the parts and read the instructions, but that's about all. This kit is not nearly as complex as many others that I have built, but still looks like a fun project. Stay tuned.

Louis - Congratulations on getting the spreadsheet caught up. Now comes the hard part of reconciling it.
Terry - Saw your warning flag. Did you survive the storms?
Garry - I acquired all of those travel trailers and a few others from former forum participant Larry (the long-winded old fart) when he sold all of his model railroading stuff. I may still have room at the left after putting Earl's in to make a sales lot for them.

Gotta go now. Need to get ready for the dentist. I have already been told that the waiting room is closed, so I have to call when I get into the parking lot and they will come get me when they are ready. I will have to take my mask off after I sit in the chair though!
Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back