Running Bear's May 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis .... I agree people should always have tolerance and forgiveness, and also they should always believe in themselves. Nothing is so bad that it is not good for something. That's why clouds are said to have silver linings. .... I dot not recognize the man or the woman in the old Lionel photo. Looks like the 1950's .

What it is worth department ....... I believe model trains are good therapy during rough times in our lives. I have learned to take "sanity breaks" with my model railroad at times when "bad stuff" is bothering me. It is good to divert attention away from "bad stuff". Eventually, I can put things in perspective, and much of the "bad stuff" is not as bad as I had thought. I am then able to focus on "good stuff" that I was ignoring. ....... Be Happy. Don't worry. ... :)
Garry, isn't that a great picture? Count Basie and I assume his wife look so happy!

I think it's worth a lot, well said! I've always said "when you are in the midst of something, it's usually not as bad as it seems or as good as it seems" I try to keep emotions in check. I don't get too high or low, I try not to act in anger or any other impulse from emotion.

I have only suffered with real depression once in my life. It hit me like a ton of bricks in October 2012 when my English Cocker Spaniel Bessy passed away due to sudden cardiac arrest. Nothing before or since has hit me so hard. It lasted for weeks. I just sat in the chair feeling numb. No matter how I tried, I could not get my head right.

It was a gift from my youngest daughter, a Lionel Polar Express RTR Train set that helped me. In a matter of days the train began chasing my blues away and sparked my passion for toy trains. I'm now a toy train junkie, but I've been back to being "fat and happy" ever since! Thank God.

Before that I thought depression was not real. Now I see it like any other health problem. Sometimes we all need a little help.

Good Morning Everyone.....overcast with a light drizzle here in this art of Wisconsin. While we had 4.5 inches of rain from Saturday night to Monday, some parts of the area recieved 7 inches of rainfall. I miss eating out at the local restaurants near the cabin with their home style cooking and some great pizza.

Heading down to the train room soon after a light lunch. Plan on taking the coal cars that derailed off the layout after I ran a turnout and I'll take each car off the layout and check the coupler operation so the coal unit train can become a feature main line train on the layout. The locomotives in the Saxeville Interchange maybe the next in line for wheel cleaning and coupler operation.

I been watching Train Masters TV video series and can watch the video on operations on Mike Confalone's Allagash railroad. The layout is a large operation with plenty of action while the guys switch and run trains. On most mainline trains the locomotives are consisted. I get hocked on watching

Running out of areas to scenic with two small areas remaining. One is going to be a junk yard, I like junk yards to bury my modeling mistakes and spare parts. I have a few early BB locomotives where their parts can be found in the Omro Junk Yard. And....I have one more welding unit to install.

That's about all to report for now.

Back later....

Greg

################

Soo Line 4436.jpg
SOO Line #4436 passing through the Omro siding on the CM&N. The #4436 is a sister to the GP38-2, number #4441. The MNS car is a weathered BB with KD couplers and metal wheel-sets. MNS was owned by the SOO Line and ran on approximately 84 miles of track in Minnesota.-Greg

I will try to remember Louis!

Well, they're doing surgery on the daughter on Friday, so instead of being at the hospital, I'm watching the grand kids. Initial tests increased the chance of cancer, but they still don't know. I will know more next week. So far it turning into a crazy week.....
I'm sorry Patrick. Try to stay positive, pray for the best. I'll be praying with you.

Hughie, I used SCARM for a bit, but I really didn't care for it. I switched to a program called AnyRail 6. I liked it much better than SCARM. Still has the 50 piece limit, just had a better feel for me.
I have Anyrail 6 as well, the free sample, but I like the way SCARM identifies the track better. Since I use Kato Unitrack I like seeing size. Also Anyrail library seems to be lacking some unitrack pieces, or I just don't know how to find them.

Does anybody recognize the guy in the picture with the Lionel layout I posted earlier?

Louis: While scrolling down I saw that Sherrel gave it away. Yes, it's that fellow from Red Bank. Sherrel gets the prize!

Saw a couple of deer in the wheat field across the road a short time ago. That will cut into the harvest!

Willie: They are hungry little devils this year, aren't they?

Tell me what you all think.

Willie: Earl's Earl. No doubt about it. Make a good transition from the junk yard.

Joe - I was really happy to have acquired the City Classics' Smallman Street Warehouse structure. I should have bought some of the add-on kits to go with it. It really fits well into any layout.

Willie: I think he still sells the addons direct on his site. I need to get more industrial windowsets. I'm seriously considering truing to fit an another one adjacent to the facility I'm working on now. It would complete the complex with similar structures.

Terry: while it's mostly sunny today, we are getting gale force winds from that first Carolina Storm. They are really kicking up from the East. I can imagine the ocean is putting on quite a show along the coast line.

Now that I'm caught up,with the posts, We went shopping this morning. I got the impression that suddenly things are getting better. Stop and shop was well stocked, including fresh meat, and sea food. The shelves were well stocked, although some restrictions remained in effect. Some paper products were scarce, notably napkins and facial tissues, but there was plenty of TP and paper towels. The only thing still lacking, was the cleaning products, which were still not available. Once the BENNYs show up this weekend, and all focus turns to the shore, and reopening of restaurants, some of the hoarders will focus on other things.

Hospitals, are now complaining of a lack of business in the emergency rooms, as folks have heeded advice and avoided the ER during the plague...Yet people continue to get sick with Corona Virus, just at a slower rate. Can't help but think that if mask use hadn't been discouraged at the onset of the plague, it wouldn't have been nearly so bad.

As I mentioned earlier, this weekend marks the beginning of the seasonal migration to the Jersey Shore. To mark the occasion, I bring out my CNJ passenger and freight equipment, and my railroad suddenly resembles North Jersey instead of Southeastern Pennsylvania, until Labor Day. Fortunately, the scenery is still Urban, so it's an easy transition.

Secaucus April 1965.jpg

Mus on the Highline between Hudson and Bergen. Pulaski Skyway in the background for all you Soprano fans. Turnpike to the right. NJT has a passenger station near here now.

I have Anyrail 6 as well, the free sample, but I like the way SCARM identifies the track better. Since I use Kato Unitrack I like seeing size. Also Anyrail library seems to be lacking some unitrack pieces, or I just don't know how to find them.

I'm a flextrack junkie who loves broad sweeping curves of at least 30" radius. With Anyrail I can set my minimum radius and just go nuts!

I will try to remember Louis!

Well, they're doing surgery on the daughter on Friday, so instead of being at the hospital, I'm watching the grand kids. Initial tests increased the chance of cancer, but they still don't know. I will know more next week. So far it turning into a crazy week.....
Patrick - Many positive thoughts and prayers for your daughter and her family.

Afternoon All,

Started out painting the kitchen ceiling (have some missed spots to do :confused:). After that the boss dragged me to Wally World. After getting home I put the glass and shades in the wood walls and now I'm beat and done for the day.

Karl- I haven't heard that song in ages.

Garry- Thank you.

Louis- It sounds like you have a master plan.

Terry- Try to stay dry.

Willie- I think the oil company is the way to go.

Guy- Great idea for a scratchbuild.

Greg- Nice layout shot.

Patrick- Prayers for your daughter.

Joe- Nice photo. Stay dry from the storm.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Running out of areas to scenic with two small areas remaining.
I sometimes wish that I could say that. As posted before, I have some broad expanses of plywood with just ballasted track running through. That is part of the maser plan though, something to do on those cold winter afternoons and hot summer days. I do enjoy structure building and scene detailing as you might surmise. Scenery overall on the layout is about 30% complete with some spotty scenes in between also done.

It could be you just need an update.

Whether or not you have a license for AnyRail, you can always update your installation for free. Updates can be recognized by a difference in the minor version number, e.g. 6.15.0 to 6.19.0, or in the patch number 6.15.0 to 6.15.1.

Upgrades can be recognized by a difference in the major version number, e.g. 6.27.0 to 7.1.0. Whether upgrades are free depends on your current license.

To check the current license

•Open the File tab, and select Help.

img0098

AnyRail indicates for which major versions your license is valid.

Of course, AnyRail will never overwrite an existing licensed version. If you install a newer version for which you do not have a license, the new version will be installed next to the old version.

To check for updates and upgrades

•Open the File tab, and select Help.
img0099

AnyRail automatically contacts us to see if a newer version is available. If so, it will ask you whether you want to update.

Just had a family milestone happen today.
My oldest grandson had his high school "individualized graduation ceremony" today about noon.
We lined up and rotated through 4 stations at 11:30 AM to have the graduate receive his diploma from the principal in the center of the gym. The family had photo ops from 10 feet away for about 2 minutes and then moved on out a back door. The whole inside experience was less than 10 minutes and social distancing was maintained. Not the most impressive ceremony, but much better than nothing as was originally planned by the BOE.
He is a "Distinguished and Honors " graduate with a 4.0 grade average. He must have inherited it from my wife's side of the family.
Yes, I am a little bit proud of him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back