Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to admit, I dread anything going wrong with my vehicles - it ALWAYS costs me an arm and leg and generally a week or so for anything to be done. I am lucky to have two vehicles though, it is more or less a necessity in a way - a summer, good weather vehicle and an AWD for winter and the snow, ice and sleet.

We are 5 miles from our nearest town and 12 miles from our nearest main town with basic shopping so I don't know what the hell we'd do if we didn't have a vehicle of some sort.

Good morning from Wisconsin.

Smudge617, good boss.

Spent 7 hours yesterday in my train room catching up. Sorted the packages that arrived, labeled them in the order of when they arrived. Opened them for inspection, took pictures and then sprayed each with a matte clear finish as I start the weathering process.

Last night at 6 we went on campus to celebrate with the Women’s Hockey team their 7th NCAA win in 16 years and 3rd in the last 5. It was fun. A ok dinner afterwards as we headed home.

Good to be home but Terry had to bring up, 80+ on Maui, we topped out at 46. Mid 50’s today.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 50°, still windy around 25 mph. Warm wind from the south which is of course bringing humidity up from the Gulf enabling rain later this week. Looking at 10 days with highs above 70°, with tomorrow and Thursday in the 80's.

Wow! one small trivia post about Meghan Markle and Married with Children has led to two days of discussions!o_O

On tap today is a trip to Gainesville TX to visit the local feed store to purchase store-bought tomato and pepper plants. I say local but it's actually a 44 mile round trip which is local by Texas standards. I could go to Denton for the plants, but they cater there to the snooty college professor crowd, and only carry 4" pots with a half-grown plant in them for serious $$$. I go to the feed & seed store and buy the 6-packs of 4"-5" plants for a fraction of the cost. I'll shoot for 60 plants this year since I have many that I started from heirloom seed growing indoors/porch. If my wife goes, we'll also buy some flowering bedding plants, and I will also buy a few herb plants to replace the ones that did not survive the 9° days before Christmas. Probably going to be too windy to grill again tonight so got to think about that, left over corned beef was last night. Still have enough left for a healthy sandwich.

I did some minor work out in the train shed yesterday. Moving north, I added a paved parking lot to the Gateway Cafe and a few figures out front.
IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3235.JPG

IMG_3236.JPG

I also planted trees alongside of the refinery but failed to take any photos.
Then I set about preparing vehicles for the road and parking lot. If you recall, I have 14 folks in the cafe and now 3 more out front and need a few vehicles. This will be a combination of new ones, old ones and some from Logan Valley. I'll be starting by dull coating many of them, adding license plates where needed and some drivers/passengers. Some need some cleaning as well. A few will also need some detailing like painting tail lights and stuff.
IMG_3240.JPG

Some body shells are already in the paint booth for the dull coat. The partially disassembled covered hopper just had it's trucks painted and will be getting weathered as a side project to keep me busy.

Karl - Yep! Beer cup holder is a necessity on a mower. First thing that I looked for after deck width and HP.
Tony - Our skunk visited last night after scenting the neighbor's dog down the road a bit. Obviously not as friendly as yours. Here it is in it's younger days before it was mature enough to spray.
08-09-13 018.JPG
08-09-13 016.JPG

Really beautiful at that age.
Chris - Stroke of luck having a caring boss like that. Glad that it is working out.

Everybody have a great day.

@santafewillie

Aw, he is so so cute and yeah - I think almost any animal is cute when they are very young to young. Ours is having relationship issues, apparently, he/she doesn't get on with one of our feral cats named Trouble. Evidently, Trub tried to get friendly or something with our skunk (almost the same colors) and the poor guy got a real good spray! He stank for two days. Luckily, it was bitterly cold here so it didn't last long but now, all he wants to do is come inside - Trub that is, not the skunk :)

Good Morning All!
22F @ 77% and dark.

Willie: Montana is pretty much like Texas - local here is upwards of 90 Miles. Kalispell, and Eureka are close to that. Coeur 'D Alene is 120 Miles. Bonners Ferry ( not much bigger than Libby ) is 50 Miles. Oh, the price we pay ... right? Talked with Chet the other day. Think he is getting the 'layout' bug again. Probably something small he can fiddle with. He is welcome here to help so that may be a good thing for him. At least it should get his butt outa the house.

Skunks: Boy, those don't come close to our place. Dogs don't get along. Fox had a segment on a woman that raises skunks and has done that for over 25 years. Says that she has been sprayed thrice and that happened with the skunk felt cornered, she thinks. A few years ago our Yellow Lab ( Tucker ) found one in the back yard - chased it under the outbuilding. Wasn't under there long, came out dripping wet. Did not think about it until he got close to us wanting to come in the house. Geesh, poor dog; stank to high heaven. We then learned about Tomato Juice. Dumped a can all over him while rubbing it in and the smell pretty much went away. Was a pretty kinda dirty orange after that for awhile.

My stuff came in from the Lumber yard yesterday. Geesh, prices are sky high. $170 for 16ft MDF trim, 2 8ft treated 4x4, 12ft treated 4x4, 12ft stair hand rail with mounting brackets and 10 2x2x8's. The treated stuff was still wet. I could barely get that 12 footer off the truck. Once I got it to my shoulder, I was good to go. Wanted the stair hand rail and 4x4's to put in the 2nd hand rail. Daughter probably will want to get down to the layout area in the Train Cave. She only has one good side because of stroke 12 years ago so needed to do that before benchwork got in the way. Tried to talk her into 'backing up the stairs' but did not want any part of that :oops:

So, today is try and get the railing in while helping the Wife paint. She is almost as slow as I am which is probably a good thing.

Later

Good morning, all. Awoke to a very dreary, overcast day. A very light mist and a warmer breeze coming off the Gulf. We are up a few hours earlier than normal, as we await the plumber. We bought pressure assisted toilets and now getting them installed. I would do it myself, but my lower back has stated no you're not.
I exercised some of the lesser used locos yesterday and revived an NW-2 that just quit.
1679406710782.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

We learned about that many years ago, and yes it really works. Messy though, works best in a bathtub if you can keep the dog from shaking it off. A small plastic pool would work well, but who keeps one around just for that?
Ya, the Lab *had* to have a small pool, not for the tomato stuff, just for life in general. Would sit in the thing for hours on end. If the water level was getting low, he would come and find us and just sit and stare. After awhile we figured out what he wanted and filled the pool. He also trained the other dogs to bring the empty food dish to us and drop at our feet. We try to keep it loaded, but there are times.... Had a plastic dish for a long time, then the wife got ( inherited, I think ) a couple of metal ones. Just wait until you a napping in the recliner and a metal dish gets dropped near your feet. Rude awakening!

As to the tomato stuff, we just caught him outside and applied the 'fix' there. Since we had our hands on him, no shaking was involved. He did look at us kinda funny while we were doing it all though.

Later

Good Morning everyone,

Pretty nice start to the day. Upper 30s as of now going up near 50 later but rain this afternoon. We were supposed to get some rain last night. I don't believe it happened.

They opened up a new dog park, and it opened this week. I might take the puppy over today before rain. They ripped out the skate park and replaced it with this. The skate park was a constant problem for the police and people living nearby. They had a great place to go and skate, but they vandalized it, and didn't respect the people whose property was next to it.

Everyone be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back