Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn - I certainly didn't realise that ... o_O
Not many do, thing is most western countries are totally reliant on India and China for our consumer goods.

The west was heavily reliant on Russian oil and gas, so when sanctions were imposed on Russia, they turned the taps off, hence the high cost of both now as we scramble to find alternative suppliers like the US.

Truckdad DAVE! Nice to see your layout. That was going to be my layout size (10x12) in the homestead here until Miss Spousal Unit decided that her saloon would work very well in that spot.
I was wondering how you were holding up with all the water and snow fall?
Sherrel, you will have some time while she is in Florida, just remove the salon stuff and start with train stuff. She will never know. On the snow, didnt bother us as we only got 1" but up in Grass Valley and Nevada city it was 3' and then the rain came and added more weight. Lots of roof issues. The old timers say there hasnt been this much snow at one time for many years.
PS I bet if David @Trussrod-2 were to check in he could give a good report of the events south of I-80.

Last edited:
I have, but pretty sure I won't be able to asnwer any questions. I stumble through every time I use it and have to re-learn it since it is infrequent.
Thanks. I used it a year or so ago to create some PCB's and didn't have any problems. The other day however, things went sideways. Got it figured out in any event. Problem was I inserted a footprint then realized it was not the one I wanted. No problem, just delete it. Nope, it would remove almost all of it, left the REF** and Footprint Name. Come to find out because I was in Footprint Editor, you can not delete. Needed to be in Layout Editor for that. I started this project thinking I wanted to see different sizes as there is not much real estate to work with so I saw Footprint Editor and started there. My Bad.

Later

No, Saxons

Well the Danelaw was pretty big... And Canute (Knut) was king etc so the Vikings did own a chunk for a short period

I think my dad got genes from the Danes though we don't have the lines that far back to them. (We do have a VIking princess in Ireland somehow)... My dad looked very scandinavian and he did those at home DNA tests and his main result was not one that is common in England but is common in Scandinavia. His family goes back to England and Wales (one grandfather or a great grandfather or two from each)...

My mom's family goes back to Norway (all her grandparents came over on the ships at the turn of the 20th century plus or minus 10-15 years) and one line then goes back to Sweden. Yet she has brown hair and my dad was blond :) I got the blond (strawberry more in the beard and dirty on the head).

I thought that the Anglo-Saxons were converted to Christianity which became England?
Swal

The Angles, Saxons, and Jutes came over way before the Viking influence.

Later (several hundred years) the Danes took over a chunk for a while (called the Danelaw, as the Danish law ruled there instead of Anglo-Saxon law) and a Danish king (maybe more than one) was king in England (Cnut/Canute the Great for example). Later Harald Hardratti, who was king of Norway (and had been in Kev and head of the Varangian Guard in Constantinople and a great Greek general) tried to invade but was beat by his cousin King Harold, at York in 1065, who then had to rush down and get beaten by William, at Hastings. (William was also of Viking descent, though by that time well "Frenchified" -- Normans were descendants of Vikings who were raiding France and given lands on the coast by the Franks as a protective layer against later raiders).

Note that Danes are related to Anglo Saxons. The Angles, Saxons, and Jutes came from Denmark and N Germany to England at the end of the Roman period (starting about 4th Century) and their languages was very similar to and I am pretty sure mutually intelligible. By the time of the Viking invasions in the 9th Century, England had become its own thing culturally but still had relationships amongst the ruling families and peoples and trading etc.

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk at 49F and currently 62F. Spent several hours grocery shopping so I'm at 10,000 steps in already. My 2 signals came in today so I'll be experimenting with them tomorrow. One is a Pennsy dwarf and the other is a Pennsy pedestal signal. Years ago (last layout) I tried my hand at making my own pedestals from styrene. Honestly, they were clunky and a major PIA to build.

Joe- Darn it, I knew I forgot something! :D

This is Roxie (a rescue) our eldest skunk. She wanted up to lay on me. I got up to do stuff and 4 hours later she's still hogging my chair. Tough life.

20230320_104140 (1).jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk at 49F and currently 62F. Spent several hours grocery shopping so I'm at 10,000 steps in already. My 2 signals came in today so I'll be experimenting with them tomorrow. One is a Pennsy dwarf and the other is a Pennsy pedestal signal. Years ago (last layout) I tried my hand at making my own pedestals from styrene. Honestly, they were clunky and a major PIA to build.

Joe- Darn it, I knew I forgot something! :D

This is Roxie (a rescue) our eldest skunk. She wanted up to lay on me. I got up to do stuff and 4 hours later she's still hogging my chair. Tough life.

View attachment 164817

I hope everyone has a good night.
Roxie's position is similar to Molly the Cat. Owning the sofa. She also likescleaning cob webs under the layout.
You must be very active. Even with a 1.2 mile walk, the best I can do is 4400 steps or so.

Good evening. After lunch, we went to the reservoir for a walk. Only 1.2 miles today. It's better walking in the morning. Finished and transmitted our Federal Tax Return today. Tomorrow, I plan on doing our state return, on the state web site. The only reason I file is for the rebranded homestead rebate. This reduces our 4th Quarter tax bill. Also have to do the tax freeze forms. No time for the train room today either.

41° and clear right now. Temperature has actually gone up in the last hour.

It's nice to know even your bosses can on occasion surprise the hell out of you, but in a nice way.

Last night my car overheated on the way home, managed to limp the remaining mile or so, luckily I always keep some oil, coolant and fuel in my car "just in case" so I made it.

Checked under the bonnet, couldn't see much as there was quite a bit of steam, so everytime I looked, my glasses just steamed up. 🙃
Phoned my boss, said, sorry, won't be into work, got a coolant leak on the car and I (obviously) need it fixed.

Thing is, we're very shorthanded, both our Directors plus our workshop manager and our two mechanics are out driving every morning and afternoon to cover our school runs.

Boss says if I can make it in, he'll take a look, if it's something minor they'll sort it out for me, if not they'll arrange a garage for me, and I can take the company car (Toyota Hilux 4X4) till it's fixed.

So that was earlier, just phoned one of the mechanics, just to find out what was wrong, and seems that the water pump has failed, major league time.o_O

Ok, so it'll obviously have to be lifted to a garage to be fixed.

Seems not, they've called in our part-time car/minibus mechanic, my car is presently up on one of our ramps, removing the old water pump, a new one has been ordered and will arrive by lunchtime(ish) and all things being equal, I'll drive it home tonight.

Ok, I'll have to pay for it, but I really don't care, when I phoned around this morning, most were in the 5-7 days range to get it fixed.

Happy Days 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back