Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only imagine and admire the athleticism involved in driving a race car. To maintain the concentration needed to drive for so long, so fast and confined to such a small space is amazing! Not to mention the other aspects or the strategy.

They don't call traveling for the same reasons the baseball has been juiced and steroid use was ignored. Fans pay to see fantastic slam dunks and homeruns. The finer points of the game are being lost.
Regardless, championships are still often determined by the little things.
This is why I like to watch Supercross. 22 riders battling it out for first place with track conditions changing every lap.

Good morning.....Coffee to go Flo.

Why is it that we can't pay our 1st responders or military members that kind of money. Surely they do more for society than ball players.
As a retired first responder, I can answer that question. When anyone suggests paying public employees more money, people freak out and scream that people working for government agencies shouldn't be making so much money. They expect perfection in government services without having to pay what it takes to get people willing and able to provide their expected quality of service. Fortunately, so many first responders love what they do and provide the best service they can, regardless of the pay.

Good morning all! 30 degrees here in SE Illinois on the way to partly sunny and 44. Just 8 shifts left at the blue store before leaving for my new job. Can't wait to make that move and get started.

The big news in our family this week is my oldest granddaughter got engaged. My little buddy is now a grown woman and engaged. Makes me feel old and just a little sad that our days of playing Minecraft and other stuff are over, but I'm very happy for her. The fiance is a great guy and I'm happy she's with him.

Terry: Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery.

That's about all I've got for now. Hope you all have a great day!

When anyone suggests paying public employees more money, people freak out and scream that people working for government agencies shouldn't be making so much money. They expect perfection in government services without having to pay what it takes to get people willing and able to provide their expected quality of service. Fortunately, so many first responders love what they do and provide the best service they can, regardless of the pay.
To be honest, people freak out when anyone...other than themselves...gets more money.

All one has to do is read some old Trains Magazines, from back in the 1960s, where the editorial theme was that all railroad employees were overpaid, inefficient, featherbedding loads that were breaking the railroads due to the extortion leveled at the poor carriers by union goons...The carriers have never been more profitable, or had lower operating ratios than they do right now, and...they have very carrier favorable labor agreements...but still cry the same old tune when contracts are up for renewal.

Many "first responders" are Volunteers. Especially in rural and suburban areas. They are dedicated, yet are ridiculed for there efforts by the sophisticated elite....

We are not just divided by politics, race, language, religion or culture, but by occupation, income and status. And that's before any of the politicians and pundits get involved.

Well, howdy there internet people, and those who drive really slow on interstates
It's Troy again

Chilly here today 30° f now and heading for a high of 37° about grilling time. Wife requested smoked chicken breasts so she can send some Chicken Parm home with her mother tomorrow.

Yep... the girls are taking mom (my MIL) out to revisit the Sr Living apt nearest us. MIL is finally in the mental state to (hopefully) make a decision. There is a slightly nicer complex about 15 minutes away from us. It has slightly larger apts (but on either 2nd or 3rd story. MIL doesn't walk well due to two crushed ankles and metal rods to repair them). So MIL wants to again visit the complex across the road from our condos.

She's having to decide on a bit more comfort, farther away, and with fire escape issues (2nd-floor stairs down - since no elevators in fire alarms) and the closer, slightly smaller venue. We're talking only 200 square feet between the two apartments, but a chunk of $$ per month as well. I suspect she will go with closer and cheaper, due to issues developing with nerves in one arm. She's having issues with being steady enough to operate her insulin pump. So a daughter close enough to walk over on a moment's notice may make the decision for her.

In other news, I might have just purchased an elephant.

View attachment 142291

Seeing all of the weird scenes on Jaz's layout (and a certain Frenchman's dragon fixation), of course, it will end up on the Mity Valley N-scale layout. I'll need to downscale it, though.

this is actually part of a bundle I purchased the 3D Printing files of, for a wargame. I wanted the fighters on horseback, and on foot. The gargantuan war elephant was just a bonus...

He actually won't fit on my printer. Fortunately, he's broken into pieces in the files. I'll have to downsize at least 50% to make him the correct scale for my 28mm Saga: Age of Invasions warband.

Now, which town in my train layout should he be rampaging through?
Anywhere he likes, I should think. 🤣

Trains, remember them. Today though the train room was controlled by HVAC folks 2 gals and a guy and later 2 electricians. Around 4 I was able to get back in there and rearrange my main bench and it’s side kick. Ran a train on 21’ of newly laid main done over the last week. Code 83 on the main replacing code 70. Left the code 70 turnouts and really when weathered you can’t tell.

TomO

random from the library of 2022
View attachment 142274View attachment 142275View attachment 142276View attachment 142277View attachment 142278View attachment 142279View attachment 142280View attachment 142281View attachment 142282View attachment 142283
Tom. The Pulp wood and the scrap iron cars are very convincing Great work on both and some nice pics.

Good Morning All. Clear and 30° in my locale this morning. Today's high should be 48°, tomorrow 59°, Thursday at 70° and finishing out the week Friday at 41° with snow!

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the last two cat pictures; Troy, Tom O, Lee, George, Hughie, Karl, Patrick, Dave B, Sherrel, Louis, Curt, Tom, Justin, Smudge, Rick, IB Ken, Moermusic, Gary, OB Ken, Guy.

I continued with infrastructure projects on the layout yesterday. Mounted and wired two LED fixtures, but no power hookups yet.
How about a couple of dogs from the layout today?
IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

Terry - Continued prayers for Marie.
OB Ken - Regarding quick generator hook-ups, we call them suicide cords; a male to male extension cord to backfeed your electrical system from a generator. They're supposed to be illegal, but I see them on Amazon.
Congratulations to your granddaughter.
Steve J - You asked about "the other Steve". He posted here a few days ago, but over time, he was never a really regular visitor to the Coffee Shop. He used to post a lot of videos in a different thread.
Yes it is possible that you might get bored once you "complete" the layout. I left lots of room for towns and people, maybe too much!;)
George - Dang! I have to go 12 miles for the first and only light. Next one is 14 miles further! I am not sure there is one going west for over 300 miles until one gets to Lubbock. Farm equipment can sometimes hold me up.
Joe - Even though they're in the neighborhood, deer don't bother me. Just in case, I spread blood meal around the garden. Besides being an organic fertilizer, it repels deer and rabbits who are herbivores and not carnivores.
Chad - There seems to be bottles of MCT oil all over our kitchen since my wife went on Keto a few years back. I had never heard of it before then. I wish there was something that I could use the empty Two Good containers for.

Everybody have a great day. It looks like it may snow here in a few minutes...not in the forecast though.

George - Dang! I have to go 12 miles for the first and only light. Next one is 14 miles further! I am not sure there is one going west for over 300 miles until one gets to Lubbock. Farm equipment can sometimes hold me up.
Willie you have enough land to install an airport and fly out of there. I wish I could be like you. I can't complain to much I have great neighbors, but would rather live a mile away from everyone. Our grocery store is about 5 miles from where we live. The golf course 40 miles aways. That's 2 gallons of gas at the moment 16.00 round trip.
George

The golf course 40 miles aways. That's 2 gallons of gas at the moment 16.00 round trip.
George

With snow still 6 inches deep - - I had not thought of that. "C U R S E ---- Y O U --- R E D --- baron J O E ! ! !"

My go-to course is 24-1/2 miles . . . . . Thankfully in the warmer weather the Sub gets 28 - 32 mpg. Never really cared before, but now I do. It has a display switchable between real and average mpg. Man, I have been driving that gauge of late!

Good Morning All. Clear and 30° in my locale this morning. Today's high should be 48°, tomorrow 59°, Thursday at 70° and finishing out the week Friday at 41° with snow!

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the last two cat pictures; Troy, Tom O, Lee, George, Hughie, Karl, Patrick, Dave B, Sherrel, Louis, Curt, Tom, Justin, Smudge, Rick, IB Ken, Moermusic, Gary, OB Ken, Guy.

I continued with infrastructure projects on the layout yesterday. Mounted and wired two LED fixtures, but no power hookups yet.
How about a couple of dogs from the layout today?
View attachment 142297
View attachment 142298

Terry - Continued prayers for Marie.
OB Ken - Regarding quick generator hook-ups, we call them suicide cords; a male to male extension cord to backfeed your electrical system from a generator. They're supposed to be illegal, but I see them on Amazon.
Congratulations to your granddaughter.
Steve J - You asked about "the other Steve". He posted here a few days ago, but over time, he was never a really regular visitor to the Coffee Shop. He used to post a lot of videos in a different thread.
Yes it is possible that you might get bored once you "complete" the layout. I left lots of room for towns and people, maybe too much!;)
Joe - Even though they're in the neighborhood, deer don't bother me. Just in case, I spread blood meal around the garden. Besides being an organic fertilizer, it repels deer and rabbits who are herbivores and not carnivores.
Chad - There seems to be bottles of MCT oil all over our kitchen since my wife went on Keto a few years back. I had never heard of it before then. I wish there was something that I could use the empty Two Good containers for.

Everybody have a great day. It looks like it may snow here in a few minutes...not in the forecast though.
Nice pics Willie thanks for sharing

As a retired first responder, I can answer that question. When anyone suggests paying public employees more money, people freak out and scream that people working for government agencies shouldn't be making so much money. They expect perfection in government services without having to pay what it takes to get people willing and able to provide their expected quality of service. Fortunately, so many first responders love what they do and provide the best service they can, regardless of the pay.

Of course, football coaches at public universities are an exception...

yeah, I had never heard of MCT oil either. But I like it and when I have the determination to follow the process, it seems to work for me. My problem is I have no imagination and no one else doing it so I am easily led astray.

The problem with the Two Good and other yoghurt containers is that they don't have lids. I do save the lidded round containers from some of the supplements I have (pills and powders) as they will make good containers for small parts. Either on the train board or in the reloading room. Not speaking of normal necked pill bottles, but those round, non-necked small bottles that you might get a powder or some ills in (3-5" diamer, maybe 4-5" tall).

Good morning fellow modelers of railroads around the globe.

Again to Terry, best wishes on Marie’s recovery

Trains, today I can get back in the train room, no scheduled craftspeople, so the room is mine till the g/k’s come home and say hi to poppa around 3. Some slot cars with them and they run off to do homework after conning a cookie or 2 from grandma! Fun times.

Gas, nothing we can do about it. Complain, oh yeah but it doesn’t lower the pricing. Better fuel efficient car? I actually wonder and can’t remember how we reacted to the gas price gouging in 2008. Were car sales down? So, yep fill the car with gasoline and scrimp elsewhere if you must. I know for some of our friends the retirement savings will be hit hard as they refuse to stop the day and over night trips since the end of Covid happened in their minds with the booster shots. We manage, as we always have through crisi.

Trains, I have all the Merchant Row kits and duplicate of a couple. The plan was last Spring was to create a city and use them there and I wanted a track down the middle of downtown. Sort of like the way South Shore is in Michigan City, Indiana. All built and ready to go except the 2 duplicates. Getting antsy to do something with them. But I expanded the layout, went to Paradise and returned home and downsized the layout back to its original dimensions. Now, I want that city and to do that I have to add on, oh the drama I have created for myself. The wife however said, just do it! She wins, I must obey…

Enjoy the day and here are some more possibly seen before but random pictures from the photo library

TomO
A011A4BB-52D4-4326-9C6B-661DD081CCF5.jpeg
341753D4-43DA-4051-BA67-5124378FC7D4.jpeg
79DB5916-3CE1-4900-A23E-F4503247C69C.jpeg
145D16C0-BF99-490C-829B-A1F79D3533C1.jpeg
A85A7B81-4083-4AA4-8E09-A0E05281C55C.jpeg
B9F878B4-4E29-4238-AFFE-897AD3801BD8.jpeg
1BB6B2A9-7340-4772-8E17-7396584735C9.jpeg
666C4BE7-CFBA-4F7B-838D-EFBD94860A57.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back