Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 54° for this Friday morning. Today should be about 10° cooler than yesterday's 74°, with mostly cloudy skies all day. Cool front will blow in tonight and we'll see an overnight low around 40°, seasonable weather for the next week or so. The usual busy day on the SFW estate yesterday after the weekly grocery/beer trek. Still stacking the firewood that's on the side of the driveway and tending to the early weeds in the garden. I'm getting behind on household chores which I will address this morning. One of the drawbacks of my wife still working.
The grocery/beer trek went well yesterday, only a few stock-outs mainly because I got there too early! No crowds and no wait at the checkout.

How about a chicken fried steak with southern cream gravy and hash-browns for breakfast for me this morning Flo.

Thanks for the reactions and comments regarding yesterday's post; Justin, Garry, Sherrel, Guy, Chad, Phil, Hughie, James, Tom O, Ken, Tom, Rick.

Managed to get two more flat cars detailed in the train shed yesterday. I added cribbage or blocking to this load on a Roundhouse 60' flat car, and added a little additional weathering.
IMG_5723.JPG

Not a lot of weathering as this car has a build date of 1980.
Then on this Walther's 54' flatcar, I also added the load braces and tie-downs on the center box. It was already partially weathered and I enhanced that as well.
IMG_5720.JPG

I have a few more to do before I get bored.
Looking at these pictures reminds me that this section of the layout still needs the track/ties painted and weathered, and ballast added. Hmmmh! Maybe the next big project!:) Of course then the pressure will be on me to do the scenery.

Troy - Nice to read that the vaccine is reaching down into the younger generation in your state. While here in Texas, they're still vaccinating those over 65, it appears that the Federal Government is moving educators up in the priority. Interesting because most of the smaller school districts and private schools here have been doing in-classroom classes without incident since September. Larger school districts with more powerful unions are still doing remote learning.
Good luck with the remodeling.
Jaz - "Well Known Member" is just an automatic thingy when one reaches a certain number of posts. It can be changed to anything that you wish. Click on your name in the top row and go to "Account Details" and change it there to anything that you want.

Regarding the discussion yesterday about Southwestern Omelets, take it or any other omelet and wrap it up in a big flour tortilla and it becomes a burrito. Fold it in a small tortilla and it becomes a taco. Deep fry the burrito and it becomes a Chimichanga, deep fry a small rolled-up taco and it becomes a taquito. Then there's tostadas, quesadillas, and numerous versions with corn tortillas. Tex-Mex food is mostly all the same, just different wrappers!

Today is National Absinthe Day. Yuck!
Everyone have a great day and an awesome weekend. Stay safe.

Troy - Nice to read that the vaccine is reaching down into the younger generation in your state. While here in Texas, they're still vaccinating those over 65, it appears that the Federal Government is moving educators up in the priority. Interesting because most of the smaller school districts and private schools here have been doing in-classroom classes without incident since September. Larger school districts with more powerful unions are still doing remote learning.
Good luck with the remodeling.

The only difference between Indiana and Texas - besides oil and the weather - is our GOP Governor got huge pushback about closing the state, but stuck to his guns. We area huge "RED" state.

However, our Gov got caught via social media the first weekend of closing the state, at a party by a big donor, no one masked. Ever since then he's held firm. We are up to 75% occupancy at most restaurants and businesses. But about half the state isn't going out.

And, two weeks ago the IN health dept cracked down on "waiting lists" where drug stores were moving teachers to the front of the line for leftover doses. No shots for YOU! (Unless you qualify based on age)

Once the federal recommendations came out, teachers got added to the main queue. We may get the schools to open back 90% by end of April

Oh and our Gov is finally getting his shot (the J&J one) today in a photo op. He followed the guidelines for age qualifications in our state. Getting caught once seemed to have worked up here.

Good morning from 17% vaccinated with one shot at least Wisconsin. But my county are easing restrictions here anyway.

My section of Wi. should hit 45f degrees and is partly sunny. The melt is real and next week Tuesday they are calling for 60’s with rain.

I have a few too many projects going at this time, my workbench is a mess and worst is the storage area attached to it. My 2 mobile carts with additional tops added that are always so well organized are also a disaster. The plan, subject to change per my mood, is to fix these areas.

Front end Friday
Enjoy your day
TomO
1CB8F6CF-7D99-472F-A9E5-A20889488F52.jpeg

Regarding the discussion yesterday about Southwestern Omelets, take it or any other omelet and wrap it up in a big flour tortilla and it becomes a burrito. Fold it in a small tortilla and it becomes a taco. Deep fry the burrito and it becomes a Chimichanga, deep fry a small rolled-up taco and it becomes a taquito. Then there's tostadas, quesadillas, and numerous versions with corn tortillas. Tex-Mex food is mostly all the same, just different wrappers!

Ain't this the truth. There is a "Mexican" place based in Utah but they have restaurants in most western states and near DC it appears. The place is called Cafe Rio Mexican Grill. You basically walk the line telling them what you want on your dish. Whether it is a burrito, taco, "taco salad", quesadilla, etc. it all gets pulled from the same buckets of fillings. Just different wrapper and maybe variations on proportions of fillings etc. It all ends up being similar in taste since the basic pieces are all the same. Sometimes corn vs flour and fried vs raw tortilla...

I unfortunately am not looking forward to this Saturday, because that's when I'm going to do my taxes! ☹ There's very little motivation to do them early when you expect to owe money instead of getting a refund. I've postponed long enough now, gotta confront this thing head-on and get it behind me!

SAME THING around here, KEN. I have stared at this "Turbotax" program long enough- time to bite the bullet and see if I can do it myself. The "new" firm that took over my deceased tax man's firm wants another $50.00 added to the already $500.00 to do the same return - and they charge $170.00 an hour for "extras" (whatever that is?) I'll chance an audit! I had three audits myself back in the 70's and finished up getting a larger refund on all three!

James and Karl: After lunch I plan on going down to the train room and use the NCE factory information. I thought of one thing about me using the Digital throttle to program.

I should use the Direct Mode when programming which I didn't do.

And I made reset the decoder to factory settings and see what happens.

Karl: You gave me an idea. I have a Digitrax PR-4 sitting out of sight next to my computer desk on a finished programming track and I can read the back what the CV values are set for and made any changes to the decoder's programming. Being hidden I forgot all about the PR-4.

The problem with the PR-4 is having carry the locomotive(s) up from the basement to my home offfice where my PC is located. I could use my wife's lap top if I made some cahnges to the Windows 10 for the pr-4 to use the lap top

I'll also try the reset for CV's 120 and 121.

Like I've said before, I have do a lot of decoder reprogramming and never encounter a problem like this one.

Thanks many times for your information and help.

I'll keep you posted on my results.

Greg

So we move to a new room, so what happens to the old rooms? are they recycled or just lined up in a long smelly mess, wouldn’t it be easier to get a daily in? Still it encourages us to stay current,do the files get deleted after a while? So if you see something you like you’d to keep, then move it to a place you can record it?
FYI I joined two new railway forums recently so if I accidentally repost an item slap me but not so hard as to make me senseless :p

View attachment 125453
View attachment 125456
View attachment 125457View attachment 125458View attachment 125459View attachment 125460View attachment 125461View attachment 125462View attachment 125465
now to be fair if you think that’s a LOT of detail remember it is for 00 1 to 76
and even then it would be 150 feet which is one of our giant trees plus O gauge could use this and I decided it looked too big and moved it away frombuildings
View attachment 125466
That is an AMAZING Tree!!

SAME THING around here, KEN. I have stared at this "Turbotax" program long enough- time to bite the bullet and see if I can do it myself. The "new" firm that took over my deceased tax man's firm wants another $50.00 added to the already $500.00 to do the same return - and they charge $170.00 an hour for "extras" (whatever that is?) I'll chance an audit! I had three audits myself back in the 70's and finished up getting a larger refund on all three!

Sherrel: Turbo-Tax is so easy to use. You just follow the instructions and and fill in the blanks. Go for it and try it. The charges that tax preparation people expect is highway robbery, especially when these days these use programs like Turbo-Tax. I've used Turbo for years.

I think they base their charges on when they had to do taxes the old fashioned way and manually fill in the information. Plus, for many the few months of tax preparations and then no income until next tax year. Granted, CPA's charge more for income tax returns that are more complex with stock, real estate and business expenses.

Greg

Last edited:
I have a few too many projects going at this time, my workbench is a mess and worst is the storage area attached to it. My 2 mobile carts with additional tops added that are always so well organized are also a disaster. The plan, subject to change per my mood, is to fix these areas.

Tom: I have the same problem with my work bench and one cart that I have my weathering and landscaping supplies on.

I think I have a solution for the cart. I have many small to medium sized cardboard boxes that RR items were shipped in to me. I'll use the boxes to organize materials and this should help organize the cart at least. I'll cut the tops off many of the boxes and then I can place my weathering solutions and bottles of weathering in the box. A large cup or two on the top shelve will be reserved for brushes.

Greg

TOM - (TloC) That is an awesome photo of the pulpwood stack!
The loader could use just a little weathering of grease and mud?

Thank you. Just about everything on the layout except 1 locomotive and 4 pieces of rolling stock needs at least some weathering. Too many things going. But.. since it’s a never ending process it makes it enjoyable.

TomO

Tom: I have the same problem with my work bench and one cart that I have my weathering and landscaping supplies on.

I think I have a solution for the cart. I have many small to medium sized cardboard boxes that RR items were shipped in to me. I'll use the boxes to organize materials and this should help organize the cart at least. I'll cut the tops off many of the boxes and then I can place my weathering solutions and bottles of weathering in the box. A large cup or two on the top shelve will be reserved for brushes.

Greg
I added a piece of foam board to the box with holes drilled in the foam. Lets the brushes stand up and easily selected. Use it when I get the urge to paint. Works well.
image_2021-03-05_131319.png

Greg
I find tool boxes with adjustable inserts that stack do this nicely check out stanley

I added a piece of foam board to the box with holes drilled in the foam. Lets the brushes stand up and easily selected. Use it when I get the urge to paint. Works well.
View attachment 125651
Very evocative made me shiver,sometimes photographic quality paintings are too sterile, I like this it infers everything and has character
E42BE14A-2B49-4E8B-BA8B-DCDDE6326333.jpeg

this was quick
A76C9E00-1732-4461-8C03-4B5B17EC800F.jpeg

but the eyes were not alive so I added paint
AED48E1A-E61E-4B31-840E-F23350924D97.jpeg

to me this is like your landscape if you described it a person it would envisage the real thing it has the character, but clearly represents rather than real

37CA5ACB-07A2-48FD-B799-0CB39D0C056F.jpeg

you may or may not recognise him I took hours rubbing out carefully to not damage the paper tweaking trying to get it right, I have earlier pictures and none would recognise him,but it does not have depth, and I have never been happy with it, but the owl was like 15 minutes and I really like it,the cockeral took time but I like the light effect which took time to build up
A4D6880C-9D88-43D8-816C-142009C30A37.jpeg

my tiger often used as my avatar, I did a make over on it some years after I did itoriginal I like the new tiger but I kinda miss the old one
6657DFEA-3E15-4922-80E3-95C237F47E18.jpeg

i love drawing and painting,several of our walls are covered in murals lol

Your not eating and drinking enough in the coffee shop. It's hard to type when your enjoying Mel's cooking.🙃
I do not drink tea, and coffee only with alcohol and cream,but I love a big fry up English or otherwise,but I cannot eat them too often or I would be fat as a pig,I love omelettes, chorizo,salami Italian or french,peppers Dutch,mushrooms,chilli powder,tomatoes,cheese American french Italian English and not the badly copied cheddar,feta, tinned potatoes (the very rare time I eat them but they work with omelette and nice crunchy thickly butter artisan bread,from french stick/pain to cottage loaf or flavoured salt and pepper, olive bread,cheese bread,etc etc..I drink water usually straight from the tap no fancy sparkling and a dollop of mayonnaise although salsa is fine and a bit of salad with home made cider vinegar, and if I’m good a tablespoon of vinegar in the glass of water,I also love rolled oats and fruit and nuts with yogurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back