Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking a break from the train room to get a cup of coffee and post a few pics. I had done a few things to this grain car and was on the back burner till I figured out what to do weathering wise. A former AGP car patched out for JTSX. Put a couple coats of dust to fade it down.
IMG_3986.jpg

Then the weathering powers, a coat of dull coat to seal the powers and some airbrush earth to blend.
IMG_3987.jpg
IMG_3988.jpg

Lastly some hand painting on the hinges on the top and and rust on the walkway and ladders.
IMG_3990.jpg
IMG_3992.jpg

nightcap is an alcohol drink.
Ah alcohol not that floats my boat,I am not a great lover of wine and not of champagne but hard liquor and cocktails therein I love
myavourite is a Singapore sling recipe of a trainee bartender who went onto to work at the Ritz
1/6 Gil OF Cointreau - orange
1/6 GIL OF gin
1/6 GIL OF Benedictine - herb alcohol
1/6 Gil OF cherry brandy ,
angastura bitters
lemonade to top - a good brand
cucumber and a cherry

pernod,absinthe (not too much do not want to go blind) remy Martin brandy,Hennessy at a push,tia Maria-not to be wasted in coffee,peach brandy,not whiskey once got very drunk and sick and cannot drink it,bourbon is fine though,tequila in moderation with worm,but do not expect me to eat it,Irish mist - if you have never tasted this you really should,English mead not hard liquor made from honey,masala wine - not a wine as such and often used in cooking but tasty,Madeira good for desserts and I like sweet drinks,baileys with ice cream or in a glass,never taken to gin except as a mixer or vodka nor the flavoured varieties,there are others but these are a quick list.....alcohol to sleep not required alcohol on cake or ice cream yum yum,I like unusual mint or blue curaçao marzipan flavour ..sure to have missed sone our drinks cabinet is extensive..
testing testing.....
ok hopefully I can stop the multipke Posts now thanks people :) edit[spelling on the other hand lol
livestock I’ll do the murals later as well
4847822F-2DAB-46C7-921F-1EA8E9038832.jpeg
1317974C-0B3C-45C6-895B-1C208F7054DE.jpeg
95F3A8B6-A745-4DB1-B550-2965975A47EC.jpeg

6319AF60-8401-4776-BA4D-9678399DBD79.jpeg
BF08AC53-F93B-4F72-A968-890EE823E644.jpeg
7563D38B-7CAC-4797-BDF9-B7FDBA5E854B.jpeg

Last edited:
the knee doing six months after replacement?

Willie: I think that my knee is doing OK. I have complete mobility, without joint pain. The leg itself has stiffness unless I do the exercises daily...not a bad idea... Best part, is that the right knee doesn't bother me either, most of the time. No hurry to do the other as long as it' not a problem.
BTW, how's your better half doing with her Titanium?

Good afternoon y'all:

Looking forward to watching the live stream of the Jets and the Habs tonight at 7PM on ESPN+. The nice part of this arrangement is No Ron MacLean.

No time for trains today, maybe tomorrow.

Amtrak 549 The Broadway - Washington Section - in Middletown PA in 1972.jpg

Slide of Amtrak #549 passing through Middletown, PA in 1972. This was my regular job, (as a Fireman), out of Washington, until I got promoted, shortly before TS Agnes changed the route of this train.

Good afternoon y'all:

Looking forward to watching the live stream of the Jets and the Habs tonight at 7PM on ESPN+. The nice part of this arrangement is No Ron MacLean.

View attachment 125698
Slide of Amtrak #549 passing through Middletown, PA in 1972. This was my regular job, (as a Fireman), out of Washington, until I got promoted, shortly before TS Agnes changed the route of this train.

I was watching the game until intermission. Now watching Toronto. All available free on streameast.live and choice of all tonight’s games.

TomO

Morning all, spring is slowly creeping in here on the great East Coast.
Eggs and Bacon this morning please. Plans for today are water change to my fish tank, a few chores, some exercise and glue down some more foam to my setup.
The Maple Leafs did not play well at all this weekend !

Good morning Shop Dwellers! It's 39*F and sunny with a slight breeze here on the outskirts of Baltimore County (MD).

Thanks for all the "likes" on my Friday post, even though it didn't have much in it.

Joe - glad to hear that your knee is doing better, I remember for while it was making it tough for you to get around.

Tom [Cambria] - fantastic weathering job on that grain hopper! Especially the vertical streaks, those have always been my achilles heel when it comes to weathering. I can never seem to get them perfectly perpendicular, they always come out slightly curved or slanted, so I avoid doing them.

This was the scene on my deck yesterday at noon:

RoofDebrisOnDeck.jpg

...the roofers were replacing our storm-damaged roof, making all kinds of racket. AS all this was happening, I was working on my taxes. To my surprise, we actually got a refund this year, thanks to two little changes in the tax law: The Standard Deduction for married-filing-jointly was raised from 24K to 26K, and my wife - working in the medical field - got a special Covid-related credit that brought our taxable income amount even lower. So that was welcome news! The process was still a PITA though; I didn't realize that TurboTax had cloned our last year's W-2's for us to just edit the numbers without re-entering everything. So after ~an hour I was getting this warning that the numbers on the W-2's "needed review" - so I wound up erasing everything an starting over from scratch. And after learning that we were getting money back instead of owing it, I went back thru it line-by-line to make sure I hadn't fat-fingered any mistake entries that would throw off the numbers. I ended up spending roughly 3 hours getting everything done.

With that burden of stress off my mind, now I can re-focus on the more fun activities - like experimenting on the "junk" shells with the weathering colors, which I had planned to do last weekend until discovering I didn't have the necessary paints.

Good afternoon y'all:

View attachment 125698
Know that area well!

Good Morning All. Clear and 42° on my back porch this morning. Another perfect spring day coming up today, a repeat of the last two, mid-60's with plenty of sunshine but a bit of wind after lunch. Well, all of my plumbing repairs have made it for a week! Looks like I am good for a while. Yesterday I tidied up two of the areas that the plumber dug out to get under the house. He filled in the holes, but given the mud at the time, it wasn't real neat. Three more to go today maybe. One is still a bit sloppy and may have to wait until tomorrow. Meanwhile, I got another bunch of onion slips from the nursery yesterday to plant today along with another group of radishes. Those I plant in successive short rows so the harvest is spread out over a couple of months.

Thanks for those likes regarding the layout update yesterday; Karl, Tom O, Guy, Tom, Hughie, Rick, Gary, Ken, Phil, Jaz, Ken, Sherrel.

How about some blueberry waffles and bacon this morning Flo. Heavy on the bacon.

Mixed day yesterday out in the train shed. I didn't do any more flat cars, gave the weathering and detailing a rest for a day. I did get over to the east side and installed five of the six ground throws on the upper level prior to painting the track/ties. I managed to split a throwbar on number six and I am hoping that the CA glue will suffice. Otherwise I will have to buy another one to replace it.
Here's two examples.
IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5742.JPG

I use the track nails on most to keep the throw arms from bottoming out, which in turn makes operation a bit more difficult.
Because this level is at eye level, I cannot readily see which way they are thrown. In the past I used a red dot on the side of the rails to indicate diverging route like this.
IMG_5744.JPG

I may try painting the track nails in a few spots to see if that works better, as some of the dots are hard to see.
Then I ran a bunch of train combinations through all of them in both directions to ensure proper operation. That took some enjoyable time.

Tom O - Making the buildings is not an issue, I have just temporarily run out of suitable kits to assemble. Like you, I actually like ballasting as well. The only two aspects of the hobby that give me fits are soldering and tree making!
Jaz - OK, you finally got me with that British lingo! What's a Gil?
Nice flock of ducks/chickens and herd of goats. I bet that they're tasty.
Joe -
BTW, how's your better half doing with her Titanium?
Right knee that was done a few months back is doing great. Left one done in 2019 seemed to be doing very well until recently when it started aching just a bit. She went to the orthopedic surgeon Thursday and X-rays were good and he suspects a bit of scar tissue is the problem. Nothing that a little Tylenol or a glass of wine can't handle.

Everybody have a great Sunday. Stay negative and stay safe.

Good Morning all! Sunny and 62 degrees. Should build into a beautiful day.
French toast and bacon please, and more coffee.
So I'm curious. How do you guys run your locomotive fleet. I have maybe 18 DCC loco's and 24 DC (which seldom get run at all). I can run 3 locomotives at a time. 2 running the inner and outer loops and 1 switching. That leaves 15 engines sitting at the roundhouse, and engine facility yard. If you are like me, you have a few favorite engines that you run regularly, maybe daily. How do you rotate your fleet so as to run all you all the engines?

STAY SAFE

LATER

Jaz - OK, you finally got me with that British lingo! What's a Gil?
Wilie, that's how fish breathe :p:p:p

I have about 6 working dc engines, double mainline and eventually my yard. I run all 6 engines about once every two weeks. Caught in the middle still about DCC as I want to buy the new athearn genesis Navy locomotive coming out this fall. That will probably be my big expenditure for this year.

OH BOY! OH BOY ... If I hear, "Honey, would you refill the ice machine; Honey, would you fix me another cup of coffee, Honey, would you get me dah-do-dah etc. once more -- I'll cut my wrist!
Actually, She is doing very well; wandering around without the walker and mostly without even using a cane which makes me cringe. This morning she had a bit too much pain as she keeps trying to do too much this early in the game. She went up and down the stairs yesterday FOUR times, did not take a pain pill last night, woke up hurting this morning, but has since stopped the pain for now with all the above taken care of.

We are looking at clouds all day, but no wetness is indicated - maybe tomorrow; the temp is 53 going only up to 65 today.

I failed on doing any tax work yesterday - really need to at least start it today.
ALI and SAWYER paid us a visit yesterday - both are doing fine - he sure is little (to me) - I've forgot how small 7.5 pounds is!

No other news to report from here. When not on the computer I have been reading/looking at my collection of RR books; sometimes I forget how many I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back