Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning shop dwellers and other peoples of the interwebz.

Chipmunk removal currently scheduled to begin about 9 am. Currently sitting at the kitchen table so I get a view of the back gate where the de-chipmunking gents will enter.

Frankly, I'm hoping for something more like a Monty Python skit. However, as long as its not Benny Hill, nor Mr. Bean's crew showing, we should be good.
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.09.15 AM.png

Good Morning All. Clear and 36° and perfectly still out there. Another tee shirt day in store for us. Relative humidity is rather low for this time of day.
I did get a short row of radishes planted yesterday, and noted that the lettuce and arugula that I planted eight days ago has broken through the soil surface. I wielded the hoe around the lettuce and broccoli plants that I planted last week to keep the soil surface broken up and weed free. Moved a couple of wagon loads of firewood over to the stack, don't feel it this morning so I paced myself right.:) I rewarded myself by cooking up a rack of baby back ribs for supper.

A pair of large breakfast burritos for me this morning Flo. I'll take the bacon, egg, hash brown potatoes and cheese variety. And don't forget the spicy salsa.

Thanks for the reactions and comments regarding Monday's activity in the train shed; James, Chad, Karl, Rick, Jaz, Hughie, Justin, Guy, Troy, Patrick, Tom O, Garry, Gary, Tom.

So speaking of the train shed, it is still out there and my townspeople were just waiting for some train watching activity. So run trains it was for a while. Switched six industries in the town of Vernon that took about 45 minutes. I also started on the first flat car, the 40' Athearn one with the I-beam load. Per Jaz's observation, I hadn't finished the weathering on it, so out came the powders.
IMG_5704.JPG

OOOPS! Not a good picture of the rust on the trucks/wheels and the dirt on the car ends. I'll get a better one today.
That's about it for pictures today, as my wife has indicated that she needs me before she leaves for work; which doesn't leave me much time to peruse the archives.

Jesse - I fall into the camp of those that pay the bill as soon as services are rendered. I don't want to owe anyone anything and they remember and are more responsive next time I need them.
Sherrel - I had to purchase the firewood. My source of free aged oak is sadly gone now forever. I would have been all right if that Arctic wave had not come by last month. I will be more aggressive about cutting next years wood this spring.
Jaz - Great post yesterday with all of the UK wagons. The train cars over there are really quite different than ours.
Hughie - Good to read that you're finally getting the first dose down there near H-town.
Gary -
anta Fe, two questions please, may I ask your centre to centre track distance? And do you use roadbed
The center to center spacing is normally 2 1/4", widening to 2 5/8" on longer parallel curves. I use HO scale cork roadbed on the main lines and unsplit N scale cork roadbed on passing sidings, with 7"-9" transitions using cardboard strips.
Chad -
Were you having to wear them outside?
No. We were only asked to wear them inside public spaces.
Hughie - While I applaud Abbott's decision, I actually do think it is a wee bit early. Believe me, even though I have had both vaccine doses, I am not throwing caution to the wind. While I referenced Walmart, I will still be wearing the mask for the foreseeable future. In Cooke County where I live, mask usage has been only about 60% except in some places like Home Depot, Walmart and grocery stores where it is much higher. In Denton County where I do most of my business, compliance is better than 98%. Even before the pandemic, we lived a somewhat isolated life to begin with, so we didn't have to change our lifestyle too much. I think that it was kind of silly to require a mask from the restaurant door to the booth where you could take it off, especially since there was only 50% capacity to begin with! By next Wednesday when the restrictions are lifted, they will have given 7 million vaccination doses, with maybe 15% of the population having two. Heck! I have made it a year so far!
Guy - So what is the vaccination plan for your area? It seems that a least some information should be available by now.

Everybody have a great day.

Morning!

Absolutely, we are going fishing today! The wife has notified me to get my face out of the PC and load the truck. Sunrise is just starting and it's 19°F. I'm telling her I'll just take a few moments and talk to my friends, and I don't budge until I've had a coffee.

Guy - So what is the vaccination plan for your area? It seems that a least some information should be available by now.

Willie - All the health care workers, old-folks home, and 75yrs plus people get first crack at what vaccines are available. Plus, I believe that since we are a small, out-of-the-way town that hasn't had too much of an issue with the viruses spread, we might be on the other end of the serve list. - Admittedly, I have not called the local hospital for information, and with our secluded lifestyle anyway, I'm not particularly concerned. The wife and I have a very tight circle of friends; I can't even tell you the name of my next door neighbor. We keep to ourselves for the most part.

I need to get a move-on soon, so I'm just going to drop down another repost photo from last year, and be on my way:
SD40-2W_5326.JPG

The shop is an enjoyable read every morning; thank you! Thanks for the likes on these simple posts.

Have a good one!

Good morning to all. Beautiful day south of Big D. Well, the Governor Abbott caught us all by surprise yesterday. Everyone has their opinions but he had the responsibility for making the call. I would have waited to around first of April (after all the spring breaks). Schools were completely surprised with no advance warning. It is not easy for a school district to react in such a short notice period.

Willie - like you I have had both shots but will continue to wear mask and try to avoid large, close gatherings.

Good morning from sunny So. Central Wisconsin. High today should hit 49f degrees.

The pictures of the CN locomotives are great for me and my weathering needs. Thank you. The pictures online at the various places I visit are great but not the close ups that Guy and now Moermusic are showing. But really any RR or era are great, I love pictures.

The grain complex wet/dry bins are done except for weathering and that may happen this summer. The elevator and the headhouses need to be finalized and worked on. The fun of model railroading. There is always more to do.

Wisconsin is easing the mask mandate next week. Basically allowing more folks into places, but I am sure the 2 parties in our Legislature will have something to say to our Governor. My shot is now moved to 4/1 but they are hoping they get some increased numbers in. The state keeps grabbing the vaccines from our Healthcare group and giving it to other groups. It should have been real easy nationally to do this roll out. Healthcare and 1st responders 1st, grocery store workers and teachers next, essential workers in public service not the f...ing politicians and go down from there. I do think it strange that the of the 3 vaccines approv3d in the USA 2 of them did not accept the USA handouts to develope the vaccine. What does that say?

Pictured below is all the grain handling rolling stock I have. A purchase program of 2-3 cars within the $100 monthly budget I allow myself for rolling stock starts today. These need to be weathered and the next cars purchased will not be put on the layout until they are weathered. I am not pre-ordering any rolling stock. Locomotives though will be a different story, thankfully I believe my fleet is big enough.

TomO

6CDEB9ED-53A6-49A1-9E70-8DB9FC84FACB.jpeg

Good Morning Everyone.......sunny and a seasonal day so far.

Yesterday, I spend the afternoon in the train room working on a NCE decoder. I was trying to program the decoder with my Digitrax 402 throttle. I'm having trouble with the forward and reverse headlights. They are working in oppose directions and I can't change the programming. I would like to have the headlights operate in both directions at the same time.

I've searched everywhere for the correct CV values to make the change. I've programmed countless CV values and never had this much of a problem!!!

Chessie-system3: Sounds like you and I have the same problems with DCC decoders. Try re-programming the loco's address and see if that corrects the problem. (Here I'm giving DCC advise when I posted the comments just above.)

The train room is a mess. Needs a good cleaning and organizing of the tote boxes holding rolling stock and scenery materials. I promised to look for some spare pulpwood cars for another member and they are in the room somewhere hidden. A friend has a N scale layout in a spare room and everything is so well organized in a planned order.

That's all for now.

Greg

###################

The governors mandate , does/did not apply to Walmart, HEB, Academy , or any other store. They are private property , standing inside the store is no different than standing in you own home . Its owner discretion.

The mandate only applied when you were in a public right of way , state or federal property ( parks ,buildings , waterways,ect.) .

If the store owner still has a sign in the window that says "wear a mask" , you STILL have to wear it. Otherwise they can call the sheriff's department and have you forcibly removed . They may even charge you with illegal trespass.

Last edited:
The governors mandate , does/did not apply to Walmart, HEB, Academy , or any other store. They are private property , standing inside the store is no different than standing in you own home . Its owner discretion.

The mandate only applied when you were in a public right of way , state or federal property ( parks ,buildings , waterways,ect.) .

If the store owner still has a sign in the window that says "wear a mask" , you STILL have to wear it. Otherwise they can call the sheriff's department and have you forcibly removed . They may even charge you with illegal trespass.
You are correct. As more information becomes available today, it seems that most chains are going to still require them until most of their employees are vaccinated. One exception it seems is HEB though. While they will still require masks on employees and vendors, it was reported by CNN that customers will not be required to unless mandated by individual cities. It will be a confusing hodgepodge for a while. I still intend to stay on the safe side for now. I want to see 20 million vaccines given at least.

What this lift of mandate really has do with is not our convenience , but the annual sex festival that state holds every year in South Texas.. This time of year tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of socially conscience college students laden with the guilt of caring for car loads of cash thrust upon them by their capitalist parents , make their way to South Texas .

The governor wants to reassure them that its ok to bring this burden of dollars with them and local merchants will be happy to relieve them of their guilt , while they mate with the indigenous population thus insuring a diverse gene pool in the state.

Its called Spring Break , and it makes Woodstock look like a family picnic. Its starts Friday more or less.

Good Morning Everyone.......sunny and a seasonal day so far.

Yesterday, I spend the afternoon in the train room working on a NCE decoder. I was trying to program the decoder with my Digitrax 402 throttle. I'm having trouble with the forward and reverse headlights. They are working in oppose directions and I can't change the programming. I would like to have the headlights operate in both directions at the same time.

I've searched everywhere for the correct CV values to make the change. I've programmed countless CV values and never had this much of a problem!!!

Chessie-system3: Sounds like you and I have the same problems with DCC decoders. Try re-programming the loco's address and see if that corrects the problem. (Here I'm giving DCC advise when I posted the comments just above.)

The train room is a mess. Needs a good cleaning and organizing of the tote boxes holding rolling stock and scenery materials. I promised to look for some spare pulpwood cars for another member and they are in the room somewhere hidden. A friend has a N scale layout in a spare room and everything is so well organized in a planned order.

That's all for now.

Greg

###################

Greg what kind of decoder is it? FX series or older or newer? that may be the issue let me know and I can help you pinpoint this...some of the newer decoders has Rule 17 implemented too which may need to be re-config. Usually the mapping is for CV 33 and 34 for the lights on Digitraxx.....

Digitrax uses CV61 to give you the following features:
  1. Non-Directional Headlight Operation

Non-directional headlight Operation Most Digitrax decoders support the independent control of the head light and tail light. In decoders with this capability, if you don't want automatic reversing headlight operation (the decoder's factory default setting), you can set up the white lead for the headlight to operate on F0 (function 0) and the yellow lead for the rear light to operate independently on F4 (function 4). This lets the engineer have complete manual control over when these lights are on.

Program CV61 to a value of 01 and the decoder will "map" the normal reverse light function lead (yellow) to be controlled by the F4 function key. In addition the normal forward light function lead (white) will become a non-directional light lead that is controlled by the F0 (light function) button on the handheld. If you have set up FX or FX3 operation for the white & yellow leads, this will continue to work. These effects can be made directional by programming an appropriate CV Value. Program CV61 to a value of 00 and the decoder will return to automatic directional lighting with the white lead being the headlight and the yellow lead being the reverse light. The non-directional headlight feature is not available on Digitrax DN121 decoders.

But in all honesty I use JMRI decoder Pro on the program track....I have never seen full bright on both ends of the loco option. I think it can be done I will look on mine to see. I check JMRI web page and I do not see a fly down menu for that option...I just need to check mine to make sure.

Here is the link on JMRI handles it.

I too have Digitraxx system but I do not mess with programming on Digitraxx I do it all on JMRI with the program track which is tied to my Digitrax system. I test it all out there. I too have a DT400R throttle.

Anyways I am rambling....hope I shed some light in the direction that can help.

< snip all that CV jibberish>

..I have never seen full bright on both ends of the loco option. I think it can be done I will look on mine to see. I check JMRI web page and I do not see a fly down menu for that option...I just need to check mine to make sure.

Here is the link on JMRI handles it.

I too have Digitraxx system but I do not mess with programming on Digitraxx I do it all on JMRI with the program track which is tied to my Digitrax system. I test it all out there. I too have a DT400R throttle.

Anyways I am rambling....hope I shed some light in the direction that can help.

Fill bright and Rule 17 lighting are easy in JMRI on either or both ends under the lighting tab.

Alco, Like you, it is very rare that I will change a CV directly when it is so easy in JMRI.

Greg what kind of decoder is it? FX series or older or newer? that may be the issue let me know and I can help you pinpoint this...some of the newer decoders has Rule 17 implemented too which may need to be re-config. Usually the mapping is for CV 33 and 34 for the lights on Digitraxx.....

James, it's a NCE DA-SR decoder and I'm using a Digitrax 402 throttle with a DB150.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back